Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: Adjustable camber bushings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@artsci i think you meant adjustable ride height links right? There is one company that made a fixed length arm and I know unplugged dabbled in making adjustable arms. I don’t know of anyone going the same route we did to achieve adjustable camber.

Not at all. They are adjustable camber links. BBC Speed And Machine in New Jersey made them and offered them for sale in October, 2014 and one could say that they're a work of machinist's art. I've had them on my car for years and they've saved me $ thousands in rear tire costs. Offset bushings are a different approach and I have no idea whether they work as effectively as these. The links cost about $800 with the $200 credit for the old links. See post #502 in this extensive thread on the topic. And here's a photo of one of the two links:

dsc_0053-jpg.62312

Reactions: logan
Not at all. They are adjustable camber links. BBC Speed And Machine in New Jersey made them and offered them for sale in October, 2014 and one could say that they're a work of machinist's art. I've had them on my car for years and they've saved me $ thousands in rear tire costs. Offset bushings are a different approach and I have no idea whether they work as effectively as these. The links cost about $800 with the $200 credit for the old links. See post #502 in this extensive thread on the topic. And here's a photo of one of the two links:

dsc_0053-jpg.62312

Wow, that is twice as much as our rear camber arms for the Model 3. *Quietly raises prices*

dsc_0053-jpg.62312
Gotcha looks like this was just a difference in terminology mixup. My apologies.

Wow, that is twice as much as our rear camber arms for the Model 3. *Quietly raises prices*

Fully aware of that, which is why I bought yours for my 3:).

These were made for the S as an almost custom product a a little more than a year after the S was first manufactured. One of my Tesla friends who lives in New Jersey not far from the shop had them made for his S and it grew from there. With the benefit of hindsight it is a riculous price, but one has to acknowledge they all were hand made.

dsc_0053-jpg.62312

I have the same links. I almost didn't want to install them. The build quality is so amazing that all I wanted to do was put them in a glass display case. They are SUPER beefy. When you pick them up for the first time, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Using these links means you don't need to do multiple iterations of lift height correction given the length adjustment for camber is downstream of the sensor height link attachment.

Yup, which is why I contact you first and you said "We don't make any Model S parts at this time. As we see it, any parts that are in demand would already be available by now. "

Not only that, I bought mine more recently than artsci and they were $1200 ($1000 after a $200 credit for supplying my own bushings bought new from Tesla).

Yup, which is why I contact you first and you said "We don't make any Model S parts at this time. As we see it, any parts that are in demand would already be available by now. "

Not only that, I bought mine more recently than artsci and they were $1200 ($1000 after a $200 credit for supplying my own bushings bought new from Tesla).

We weren't aware that people were unsatisfied with the bushing solution vs. full arms. Is this still the case?

We weren't aware that people were unsatisfied with the bushing solution vs. full arms. Is this still the case?

I don't think there's ever been a debate about which solution is more preferred. Those who are price sensitive will pick the bushing solution. There's more R&D up front to get a workable solution because you have to engineer for the fact that off center bushings don't provide the same level of compression and torsion travel that center hole bushings provide. Plus, from what i've observed, it's a pain to engineer them correctly so that they hold. Imagine if the bushing turns and instead of taking out 0.5 of camber you add 0.5 more negative camber and now your twice as far off as you were before you have corrected it.

I'm sure the vendor here has done a marvelous job engineering these and I'm sure they'll work great but there are compromises when using a bushing design over an entire link replacement. Additionally, changing the camber at link/frame bushing end requires fixing your ride height probably several times since changing the ride height after changing the camber changes the camber which when fixed changes the ride height etc.

Also, with a link replacement that uses the factory bushings pressed in, you've maintained the factory interface between all the parts that have movement so you've maintained the exact same ride quality without tuning mismatch between the front and rear.

I don't think there's ever been a debate about which solution is more preferred. Those who are price sensitive will pick the bushing solution. There's more R&D up front to get a workable solution because you have to engineer for the fact that off center bushings don't provide the same level of compression and torsion travel that center hole bushings provide. Plus, from what i've observed, it's a pain to engineer them correctly so that they hold. Imagine if the bushing turns and instead of taking out 0.5 of camber you add 0.5 more negative camber and now your twice as far off as you were before you have corrected it.

I'm sure the vendor here has done a marvelous job engineering these and I'm sure they'll work great but there are compromises when using a bushing design over an entire link replacement. Additionally, changing the camber at link/frame bushing end requires fixing your ride height probably several times since changing the ride height after changing the camber changes the camber which when fixed changes the ride height etc.

Also, with a link replacement that uses the factory bushings pressed in, you've maintained the factory interface between all the parts that have movement so you've maintained the exact same ride quality without tuning mismatch between the front and rear.

The bushings come with knurling and teeth to ensure that it locks in once you get to your proper alignment spec. Depending on how much someone is trying to adjust them it shouldn't make much of a difference in ride height. Those that are trying to go lower than the "very low" setting will have some issues with ride height and need to correct it. For the vast majority that run their car at factory heights you shouldn't need a huge range of adjustment to get it to a more tire friendly setting. Ride quality is very similar to stock and for most if you didn't say anything you wouldn't know that they were installed.

We are working on having adjustable arms as well for those that want that solution instead. It will however have urethane bushings instead of stock bushings. We are working on an entire bushing replacement kit as well. The stock bushings allow a lot of flex and deflection and under hard launches and aggressive driving this allows the geometry to shift a lot.