Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New and future owners, need your input!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you lease go for the 15k per year mileage. You won't be sorry :)

21" may look better but the ride is a little rougher

not luxurious? Maybe compared to MB and BMW but very nice still. Seats are very comfortable and hold up well. Plenty of post here about that.

I have always been an Android guy myself. Never have any issues with my S. There are some App's that were only Apple for a while but that also is changing

I don't see any big impact IMHO. Think BMW 3 series and 5 or 7 series. All have a market

That's the key word. I leased so I did not spend another $2500 on paint protection.

So many cars do not come with a spare anymore. I carry a plug kit and air compressor as well as the fix-a-flat can. I then cross my fingers and hope for the best :)

I love having the frunk! My only problem is it can be fragile. It must be closed correctly and not slammed shut like a hood.

Planning road trips! :) You will be looking for reasons to drive.
No AP? Or just not enhanced AP? I get the holding off on enhanced but the AP is awesome on highways. You will want it in the future, believe me. ( If you didn't get it)
Chicago winters will severely lower range efficiency. Figure 20% or more in the colder weather. Easy to plan around once you have been driving a while
Good luck!

Thanks so much for the thorough response. .. I did get enhanced AP, but obviously did not fork over for self driving since it hasn't been released. I will definitely go 15K if I lease, I don't want to worry about it and the additional cost is insignificant. Good point also on no paint protection required for the lease. . . Normal wear and tear clause covers that. Good to know on cold battery performance. . . Didn't know. I commute from north burbs to city about 20 miles each way, so if I'm plugging in every night range should never be an issue. I'll continue with the Android for now then, appreciate the positive reinforcement there as well.

My reservation gets confirmed tonight. . . Giddy!!

The 21" wheels are nice looking, but egads it's too easy to damage the rims. And compared to the 19s, tire costs and availability are ridiculous especially since the tires will wear so much faster. I get maybe 20k miles per set of tires with my 21" wheels. 19" wheels give you a smoother ride and better range efficiency and lower overall cost of ownership...and they're cheaper to begin with.

After owning them, I would not recommend 21" wheels to my friends. Just ordered a 90D with the stock 19" wheels.

Reactions: Sully's8
I've had my Model S for almost 3 years

We got our vehicles around the same time. I picked mine up March 7, 2014. Vin P30***. I look forward to seeing your video.

Here's my story.

I bought mine cash. I don't like the idea of leasing a vehicle and having the bank own it and telling me how much I can drive. I also can't see the sense in borrowing to buy an expensive vehicle but that's just me. I also expected significant depreciation and regardless of whether your lease or buy you get hit with it.

I missed out on autopilot and the D but I had it the summer of 2014 before those features came out and that was a great summer with the car and my family. I have absolutely no regrets at all with the purchase. In fact, it's one of the best things I've bought in my life, and the best vehicle by far. I did get a trade-in quote from Tesla last summer and took an AP1.0 loaner for a week to my cabin and back, and did a lot of highway driving, but I didn't trust the lack of sensors and slow processing, so I couldn't relax, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would -- but again that's just me. With AP2.0 out now I've again considered upgrading but I still really like my large frunk, 80 amp classic, and enjoy driving it, and although the D would be great to have I have a Tahoe Hybrid that I take over the mountain passes in the winter and I'm looking forward to getting a smaller Model 3 to zip around town in and keeping my old "classic" for many years to come. The front nose cone never appealed to me (I can't help but see a gaping fish mouth) but I can live with it.

Problems in three years:

1. I got a call shortly after I got it about some soldering with the electronics that needed to be redone. I have no idea what it was but they picked it up from my office and left me with a loaner and I got it back the next day. I never noticed any actual problem. Same with the seat belt recall. That was fixed during one of my annual service visits but I have no idea what it involved and I never noticed a problem.

2. One door handle got stuck in the out position and it was repaired in my office parking lot with Tesla's mobile service vehicle.

3. The locking tab for the charge port got stuck in the locked position and would not retract so I couldn't charge. I was able to use a piece of packaging plastic to hold the locking pin down and it charged at 16 amps with a yellowish colour ring around the charging port, which was interesting. I drove it to service and they put me in my loaner and fixed it without having an appointment.

4. Some chrome trim came loose and was out of alignment and was fixed during annual service.

5. Condensation appeared in both rear tail lights and was fixed during my annual service.

6. The "12 volt battery warning - replace battery soon" message came on a few days ago.

7. The sunroof has a larger gap on the driver's side than the passenger's side.

It's going into service on Jan 19 to replace the 12 volt battery, get the LTE upgrade, and to align the sunroof. I can actually see the little wheel in the gap on the driver's side of the sunroof. Fortunately, it does not leak.

The most significant problem was when I couldn't charge because of the locking pin problem but I don't consider any of the problems of much significance.

I have put 22ple on the paint every six months it since I got it new and the paint still looks like new. I replaced the wheels with these Canadian made Replika R187 19" ones and they match the grey paint of my vehicle nicely. My wife and kids say it changes the entire look of the vehicle. I never really liked the stock wheels.

The leather and interior overall has held up well and I have a wife, three kids and a dog. I was on Tesla's long waiting list for a center console three years ago and I'm glad it kept getting delayed since I learned to really appreciate the open space and by the time my turn came to get one, six months or so after owning the vehicle, I decided to keep the open space.

No rattles or wind noise. It's been a very solid and reliable vehicle, other than the problems mentioned above. I have just over 60,000 km's on I still look forward to driving it each and every day.

Last edited:
As someone who would likely hold onto my Tesla for awhile once I become an owner, I'd like to know about overall interior quality after 3 years of use. I may be looking into CPO so this would line up perfectly with what I might expect assuming I pick up a vehicle that is this old.

Particularly things like the seats, or trim pieces and panels. Scrapes and scratches, things like that. My current car I bought new and over time some of materials on the inside show noticeable wear and I babied the hell out of it. Would love to see how the Tesla stacks up.

Reactions: David99
More and more cars today are not coming with a spare tire. Spares made sense before everyone had a cell phone. Why would you risk your life changing a tire when you can call a tow truck? The spare tire adds weight, cost and takes-up valuable storage space too.

I'm happy to not have a spare and with today's tires and TPMS systems, being stranded with a flat tire is a somewhat uncommon thing. Uncommon enough where justifying a spare tire is hard to do.

Safety is my number one concern and duty along the side of the road but last year my son got a flat on 20 passing through a deadly neighborhood in the city at 1am. He had his girlfriend with him. He had a spare in his Jetta. He called me to ask, roadside assistance or what?

My advice...pull off at the next exit about 1/4 mile away. Sacrifice that tire. Change it and get the hell to safety before you become a mark. Next morning I bought him new tires. I would prefer to lose a tire than a life. Waiting could have gotten him, robbed, raped and or killed like it happens daily in this country. He changed his tire in 10 minutes and was gone. Where I live it will take an hour to 2 hours for roadside assistance to find and reach me.

Really? I misread that. . . That's a huge flag and eliminates any desire to buy the leased S. I think you may have just made my decision for me. . .
Wait.
I didn't say how I solved it. I ordered run flats. I offered Tesla and Elon to work for him but Nooooo....they ignored me. Ok...i got a great job here in Atlanta anyway and i'ld have to work from the east coast. Besides who needs my old brain? I'm changing my rims and tires to address this issue and getting a 1/2 ton for that wheel well. I hope I break even on weight. I will not rely on rsa when my life depends on it.

Awesome car...you should get one.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Sully's8
People at work, range anxiety. Wondering if they'll have enough to get there or back.
When finding out that the car tells you what the battery will be upon destination (and even round trips), it really put people's mind at ease.

The other is 'where do I charge' and I reply, literally anywhere.

One I just got: Don't we still have to get some gas? No! But don't electric cars have gas and electric? 'No, that's hybrid'.
But what about the motor? 'there is no engine'. 'oh...'

Another -I can preheat my car and having gas is good for that because of the waste heat.
My reply: yeah but you have to go start it (have a visual) plus you can't if it's in the garage. I can preheat from my phone, anywhere in the world with no exhaust fumes.

I've proven slowing down, going easy on acceleration and hills actually extend the range of my S60D tremendously. I live 50 miles from work. On Monday and Tuesday last week, I did 74+ mph to work on Rte 20. On Wednesday I took Bankhead and avg ~45 MPH. I got to work with a heck of a lot more range than the previous days. Took same route home up hill mostly and came home with 15% more range than when I hammer down on the hwy.

I have owned my Model S for a few months and for me the single biggest change and biggest "unknown" in going from an ICE vehicle to a Tesla was switching from fueling at gas stations to charging, and how that impacts the overall experience of owning the car.

It might be helpful to include in the video your home charging routine -- charging is a very simple thing and can be a major time saver compared to regular trips to the gas station but that concept is not necessarily obvious to prospective owners who have never had an EV.

You might also add video clips using Superchargers, Destination chargers, and anything else on charging you think that would be helpful.

For fun and to highlight the contrast with owning an EV, you could also include drive-bys of gas stations, smog check stations, oil change businesses and other places that are no longer part of the ownership experience for EV owners.

As a disappointed new owner I would like to know your experiences with Supercharging rates, how trips were handled with frequent long charging stops. How has service been, how many times did it go in for service? How has service centers performance degraded or improved as more and more Tesla's hit the streets. How has the battery held up. Did you get the extended warranty and get your money's worth?

Reactions: David99
As a disappointed new owner I would like to know your experiences with Supercharging rates, how trips were handled with frequent long charging stops. How has service been, how many times did it go in for service? How has service centers performance degraded or improved as more and more Tesla's hit the streets. How has the battery held up. Did you get the extended warranty and get your money's worth?
Nice questions...cant wait for those answers. I do Florida 4 to 6 times a year in the family ICE.it gives me 490miles range . I stop twice. Leave home at six and check in by 2pm. The Tesla says it's going to take 10+ hours with 4-5 30min stops if I try to use my s60. Guess what's not going to Florida?

how trips were handled with frequent long charging stops.
Do you own a Tesla? Is there an alternative out there with ultra-fast EV charging I haven't heard about. I'm not getting the complaint. I have the 60D, a Tesla with the smallest battery size and have to stop around every 3 hours for 30 minutes. I did this in my ICE anyway. Drove to Fla. from NY in a Yukon and with kids I was lucky to get 3 hours in w/o a stop :)
Sure it may take me a little longer but the only charges are tolls.

David99, I have had our S85 for nearly three years and 37,000 miles. I am not a "recent" owner, but I would like to add some suggestions from my point of view:

There are times when the car needs to be rebooted. Explain what the driver sees in the car and how to go about rebooting.

The touchscreen has so many options. I have forgotten a lot of the things that can be adjusted from the touchscreen like creep, range mode, energy vs. distance--you get the idea. A lot of people (read: me, especially) forget from time-to-time what all can be changed or adjusted from the touchscreen, especially things that might only be used occasionally.

If possible (and this may be too difficult) try to drive the same route at different speeds to show how much effect speed has on energy consumption and range.

Demonstrate how to use correctly the J1772 adapter and how to remove correctly the adapter.

Demonstrate how much to charge at Superchargers or destination chargers to have enough (but not too much) range for their next stop. Show the trip planning screen with the energy graph. Perhaps explain that the expected residual charge per the trip planner is accurate for ordinary driving conditions, and does not factor in weather extremes, heater usage, precipitation, wind and excessive speed.

Since you are a frequent traveler, perhaps you could prepare an edited video of one of your journeys, just focusing on the process of planning charging stops, Supercharging enough for a comfortable buffer, the comparison of the estimated versus actual decline in range on the trip graph, the comparison of the estimated versus actual residual charge at each stop--condense a three-day trip into 12 minutes or so.

A lofty goal, and my compliments!

Reactions: gavine and David99
Since you are a frequent traveler, perhaps you could prepare an edited video of one of your journeys, just focusing on the process of planning charging stops, Supercharging enough for a comfortable buffer, the comparison of the estimated versus actual decline in range on the trip graph, the comparison of the estimated versus actual residual charge at each stop--condense a three-day trip into 12 minutes or so.

A lofty goal, and my compliments!

Thanks for the ideas!

As for explaining the long trips I already made a one hour video about road trips in a Tesla :)

• Informative
Reactions: Chopr147 and JClu