Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon all, I own a 2013 Model s 85 and was wondering if anyone experienced the replacement of the main battery? Mine is now 5 years old and will need a new battery in the future. What is the price range etc and can you get a new 85 battery any more. How long does it take etc.

Thanks

Everything is fine with my battery so far, have lost approximately 5% of range due to age of the battery. Heard that a new battery costs around $20,000 and wondered if anyone had experienced getting a new battery. Yes I still have 3 years to go on my battery. Had some trouble with it a few months ago after a trip to Naples Florida and back.

If your battery continues to decline at 1% per year as predicted, you still have LOTS of life in your present battery. You may wear out the rest of the car first!!

Yes, I think that is likely. I recently sold my 2013 S 85 with 100,000 miles and the battery was fine. Maybe a bit more degradation, but almost all of my capacity loss came within the first 6-9 months, then it was almost flat for the rest of the time I had the car. The degradation curve seems to flatten out, so even 1% a year from now on may be "high".

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
wk057 was charging $15k to take 75kwh batteries and replace them with 90kwh batteries. I would imagine a 85kwh battery swap would be the same (I'd stick with the 85kwh because they have better cells with less degradation as compared to the 90kwh version).

For example, I got my car end of December 2016, 75kwh battery. Rated is 259 miles. I just charged to 100% and only got 246 miles. That's a loss of 5% already (17 month old car).

Why do you want to replace the battery? The batteries in Tesla seem to hold up extremely well. Mine has 160k on it and is just fine. Zero loss of performance. 9% loss of range. I don't see replacing my battery. The only thing I can see is upgrading the battery to a larger one in the future. Unfortunately Tesla does not offer any upgrades on batteries.

Everything is fine with my battery so far, have lost approximately 5% of range due to age of the battery. Heard that a new battery costs around $20,000 and wondered if anyone had experienced getting a new battery.

5% degradation after after 5 years isn't too bad at all. It is really up to you but if it was me, I won't be looking at the hassle and expense for that. If I had lost like 20% or something then it would be different story. My Teslafi said I lost 1.6% after 32k km (20,000mi) around 1 year on my S100D. I hope degradation flattens out. Even if it doesn't, I would loose 16% after 320k km (200k mi) , which is OK by my books. I consider the EOL at 20% loss, which means it should last almost 400k km if something else major doesn't give out first.

For example, I got my car end of December 2016, 75kwh battery. Rated is 259 miles. I just charged to 100% and only got 246 miles. That's a loss of 5% already (17 month old car).[/QUOTE]

Same story exactly here 246, car is 20 months old and seems to be the story for 75s.

For example, I got my car end of December 2016, 75kwh battery. Rated is 259 miles. I just charged to 100% and only got 246 miles. That's a loss of 5% already (17 month old car).

Same story exactly here 246, car is 20 months old and seems to be the story for 75s.[/QUOTE]

Come back in a few years. I saw the same with my 2013 S 85 and after this initial drop, it stayed flat until I sold it with 100,000 miles after 5 years.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
wk057 was charging $15k to take 75kwh batteries and replace them with 90kwh batteries. I would imagine a 85kwh battery swap would be the same (I'd stick with the 85kwh because they have better cells with less degradation as compared to the 90kwh version).
I've read in some threads that the 90 kW battery isn't really 90 kW. It's more like 87 kW. The
there are a LOT of new superchargers coming. Tesla updated the map today with upcoming locations.

you might not need a new battery for long distance travel. lot of gaps will be filled and there will be multiple charging options in some cities.
Who wants to keep stopping to charge? I'd much rather have a 400-500 mile range and not have to supercharge once, or maybe once.

• Love
Reactions: BigD0g
Same story exactly here 246, car is 20 months old and seems to be the story for 75s.

Come back in a few years. I saw the same with my 2013 S 85 and after this initial drop, it stayed flat until I sold it with 100,000 miles after 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree this seems from all I can glean everywhere very normal and I am not worried about it in the slightest. Its quick in the beginning then flat. I will say watching it in those first month going down 1 mile and two miles before it leveled at 246, was interesting.

I have 46k miles on my not quite 2 year old 75D and I get 253 at 100%.

Since yours is an AP1, perhaps it has the 85kwh cell chemistry and therefore is less prone to degradation. I believe most 75/90 packs degrade more severely and faster than the older chemistry.

That being said, Tesla battery tech is lightyears ahead of anything else available and there is plenty of range to enjoy. I also push my battery a lot, so I am pleased. On the many road trips I've taken, I do not hesitate to charge to nearly 100% and drain to nearly 0%. Lowest I've gone is 2 miles of rated range in the battery (less than 1%). I regularly go into the single digits and other than initially slow charging times, the battery responds well and I get where I need to and am able to skip superchargers and go where the nav says I cannot make it.

Your battery is an outlier perhaps on the graph. You set your mileage at rated or ideal?

If its ideal you may not be an outlier and you have a real problem on your hands. I assume your on rated and enjoy the extra 7 miles of freedom!
Rated. It's a July 2016 build 75D. I don't do anything special with regards to charging. I charge to 90% almost every day, I charge to 100% several times a month, and I use Superchargers at least 4 times a month.

yah, I'd love to pay wk for a 100Kw upgrade, but my understanding is this is no longer possible because Tesla is buying the 100 packs from the owners before they hit the salvage yard / auctions :(.

However, given the lack of any progress on the EAP / FSD front it may be a mute point after the lawsuits start, since eventually people are going to get tired of the lies and stop drinking the koolaide.