Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New blog post. 20+ new SCs in Texas alone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.

New blog post.

New supercharger map.

I count roughly 20-22 new "Opening Soon" sites in Texas alone.

*edit to add, you can now click on and zoom in.

Here are the proposed new Superchargers:

1. Plano (a few blocks E of 75 on K Ave)
  2. Dallas (we know about this one)
  3. Ft Worth
  4. Grapevine
  5. Italy (on 35 S of Waxahachie)
  6. Wichita Falls
  7. Lubbock
  8. Pecos
  9. Fort Stockton (already known)
  10. Laredo
  11. McAllen
  12. Falfurrias
  13. Dilley
  14. San Antonio
  15. Flatonia (already known)
  16. Fredericksburg
  17. Austin x 2 (one is already known)
  18. Brenham
  19. College Station
  20. Beaumont
  21. Nacogdoches

Last edited:
That's great news. The College Station one is unexpected but will be nice for those of us who might go for a football game. Plano seems a bit strange considering we already know there will be one on Walnut Hill and 75. Maybe it will ultimately end up off of the Tollway?

Also it looks like the second Austin SC will be downtown. I hope it's big, as I would think it will be very popular during ACL, South by, and the F1 race weekends.

After reading the post I bet this is what Waco is in for:

Toward that goal, Tesla will build larger sites along our busiest travel routes that will accommodate several dozen Teslas Supercharging simultaneously.

Also, this is interesting:

In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers.

Reactions: vrykolas
I'm pretty certain that the Plano one will be near the Legacy area. I think it's pretty clear they're trying to have some chargers for urban dwellers, and Toyota is moving in.

The one coming in on 75 seems to be targeted at those living in Downtown/Uptown, though it is a bit out of the way.

Wow.

New blog post.
in.

Studying the map, I take the gray dots as being proposed cities, not as specific locations. Meaning that the Plano SC won't be at 75 and K, they're just saying it will be somewhere in Plano.

I interpret the Dallas dot as being the TreeHouse location, not a new location in uptown.

Last edited:
This is good news! Starting to fill in some gaps even on secondary highways.

For the "downtown" Coming Soon dots in major cities - We shouldn't take these too literally. I suggest when you see a Coming Soon dot in the exact middle of a city or town you should assume that means "somewhere in that city, we don't know exactly where." Note that the San Antonio Service Center still has its Coming Soon dot in the middle of town, when we already know it's actually out I-10 in the Dominion area.

Also the new Waco Coming Soon dot is in the middle of Waco. And the current existing Bellmead location isn't on there at all for some reason.

Something else odd I noticed in California - there are several future Supercharger locations in the San Diego area, but the existing Sorrento Valley (Qualcomm) location isn't on there.

Back to Texas - McAllen looks a little strange. I'm surprised there isn't a Harlingen or Brownsville just because of the SpaceX facility at Boca Chica. Hopefully we'll start seeing more destination charging in that area. Right now my tentative plan for viewing a South Texas rocket launch would be to find a hotel on South Padre with destination charging, and watch the launch from the beach.

I like the Brenham site. Should enable people to get from Houston to Austin using the 290 route, taking some pressure off Columbus. I've seen Columbus be full once during a holiday weekend. Flatonia helps take load from Columbus as well of course.

Wichita Falls has been Coming Soon for a very long time. Maybe this will be the year.

Studying the map, I take the gray dots as being proposed cities, not as specific locations. Meaning that the Plano SC won't be at 75 and K, they're just saying it will be somewhere in Plano.

I interpret the Dallas dot as being the TreeHouse location, not a new location in uptown.

Makes sense since we know the Dallas site is off of Walnut Hill, and there's no dot there.

For the "downtown" Coming Soon dots in major cities - We shouldn't take these too literally. I suggest when you see a Coming Soon dot in the exact middle of a city or town you should assume that means "somewhere in that city, we don't know exactly where."

Agreed except for Austin, since the two are named Austin North Loop and Austin Downtown.North Loop seems to be the location we already know about near 35 and 290. I think it's safe to presume that the second location will be somewhere near downtown Austin, given the name.

Comments from my point of view (living in far north Dallas suburb):

There's a Tesla store opening in the new Legacy West (Plano) area. It's right off the Dallas North Tollway, so it will be convenient (with lots of shops/food/hotel).

As others mentioned, it looks like MANY of the locations on the new supercharger map are centered on the City name (or 'suburb' name), not the actual location where the Supercharger will be installed. Overall, I'm ECSTATIC at all the new superchargers! Especially since we have free supercharging for life!

Dallas: I-75/Walnut Hill (at new in-progress 'Treehouse' home-store parking lot); this is corroborated by supercharge.info

Plano: most likely at new Legacy West store (initially I'd heard there were going to be 6-8 Destination chargers here, but Superchargers are even better)

Grapevine: I'm "guessing" this will be at the Grapevine Mills Outlet mall? It's near highway/DFW airport, with lots of shopping/food options (but there's likely a high chance of those spots getting ICE'd)

Austin: I'd heard about the one being installed off of I-35 ("North Loop" location) from supercharge.info, but I'm *pleasantly* surprised there will be two there (since we travel to Austin to visit family all the time).

Updated list from OP's post. Missed were San Angelo and Houston downtown:
  • Grapevine
  • Wichita Falls
  • Plano (Tesla store)
  • Dallas
  • Ft. Worth
  • Lubbock
  • Pecos
  • San Angelo
  • Italy
  • Nacogdoches
  • College Station
  • Fort Stockton
  • Austin N. Loop
  • Austin
  • Fredericksburg
  • Brenham
  • Flatonia
  • Houston downtown
  • Beaumont
  • San Antonio
  • Dilley
  • Laredo
  • Falfurrias
  • McAllen
Wow, 24 to add in 251 days. I'm guessing average site install will be 9.5 stalls?
One more thing:
Tesla store coming to Southlake Texas (already approved by local zoning board in February) -- As this town is adjacent to Grapevine, I wonder if Southlake might be the eventual location of the 'Grapevine' pin.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
I note, that to aggressively roll-out the second wave at 1 site per 11 days, Tesla will have to double its output for the balance of the year. Currently, their YTD rate is one completed site per 23 days (includes El Paso and Arlington sites).
Added YTD: 114 days. One per 23 days.
Junction, TX 8
Ozona, TX 6
Van Horn, TX 8
Arlington, TX 10
El Paso, TX 8

Wow.

New blog post.

New supercharger map.

I count roughly 20-22 new "Opening Soon" sites in Texas alone.

*edit to add, you can now click on and zoom in.

3. Ft Worth
  4. Grapevine
  5. Italy (on 35 S of Waxahachie)
  6. Wichita Falls
  7. Lubbock
  8. Pecos
  9. Fort Stockton (already known)
  10. Laredo
  11. McAllen
  12. Falfurrias
  13. Dilley
  14. San Antonio
  15. Flatonia (already known)
  16. Fredericksburg
  17. Austin x 2 (one is already known)
  18. Brenham
  19. College Station
  20. Beaumont
  21. Nacogdoches

Holy Bajesus, that is crazy. Will be looking into some locums/moonlighting work in the outskirts of Texas now :)

What Plano/Frisco area needs is a Service Center. Superchargers are good, but service center in the northern suburbs of Dallas will go a long way in avoiding downtown traffic to the existing location.

Agreed. I have not been to the back of the service area (like if you turned left after you pulled up the ramp and went all the way back), but everywhere I've seen it's always packed to the gills. DFW will need 1 or maybe even 2 more service centers pretty quickly. Plano/Frisco makes a lot of sense.