Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Bulletin available to SC to align headlights with bumper - Mine fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gentleman,

Now Tesla figured a way to address the protruding headlight syndrome. ;)

Last week spoke to local service manager and I was told they received a procedure on how to align Bumper with headlights. (not other way around). Service manager told me it is the bumper that needs fix, not lights.

I was skeptical and dropped my M3 yesterday for few fixes along with this. Today I picked up the car and now have headlight aligned correctly. Earlier lights were protruding by 1/4 inch or more.

So, if your car has this same issue, now reach out to your SC and get it fixed. I think this will reduce some air turbulence in the front end and hence less drag..:)

Found one photo from before, and couple I took after adjustment.

Also, SC notes about alignment on work order.

Attachments

• HeadLightAlignmentProblem.jpg
    HeadLightAlignmentProblem.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 821
  • HeadLightAlignment2.jpg
    HeadLightAlignment2.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 761
  • HeadLightAlignment1.jpg
    HeadLightAlignment1.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 755
  • HeadLightAlignmentNotes.png
    HeadLightAlignmentNotes.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 726
Does realigning the bumper to "fix" the headlight protrusion create any large gaps with the bumper or other panels adjacent to the bumper? My car goes in for an A pillar replacement Monday so I may have the SC look at this issue as well. But I don't want to solve one problem and create 2 others.... Thanks!

Reactions: scrapps
Wouldn't moving the bumper outward to align it with the protruding headlight create a larger gap between the bumper and the fenders? I just looked at my car and don't see how they'd be able to re-position the bumper without doing that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tforme
Does realigning the bumper to "fix" the headlight protrusion create any large gaps with the bumper or other panels adjacent to the bumper? My car goes in for an A pillar replacement Monday so I may have the SC look at this issue as well. But I don't want to solve one problem and create 2 others.... Thanks!
I am not sure what the procedure is, overall bumper alignment is better including fender and hood positions now vs before. This fixed headlight overhanging lip issue and corrected other positions also. Other locations were not bad earlier, there was some fender over bite on to the bumper, now that is fixed.

Overall I very happy this was taken care, as I was always thinking the because of the position, and location, headlight protruding lip create considerable air turbulence increasing Cd.

Reactions: SteveG3
Last week spoke to local service manager and I was told they received a procedure on how to align Bumper with headlights. (not other way around). Service manager told me it is the bumper that needs fix, not lights.
Thanks for your post. Glad to hear Tesla has figured this out. I see a lot of 3’s in my area and have noticed for months that on almost every one that I can put my fingers on (which is dozens over the past 8 months, I see them in parking lots regularly) the lower edge of the headlights protrude out from the bumper by varying amounts; they were rarely flush with the bumper. In another thread on TMC there have been posts saying that Tesla personnel have stated the protrusion is for “headlight cooling” or that it was done by design, which I never believed was the case.