Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Buyers Beware / Negative repair process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They aren't competing with "electric cars" they're competing with "cars" The fuelling infrastructure is improving, but there are many places I still can't go.

I'm not referring to service centres at all, they're actually pretty good. I'm referring to the outright hostility towards DIY and 3rd party shops. There is no other car brand that I am aware of that won't sell parts to anyone who asks, and who won't let repair information out, and spends as much effort as Tesla does trying to silence people who post information on how to fix the car without a service centre. There is not another car company on the planet that I am aware of that is so hostile to repairs. This has the expected outcome of keeping repair costs astronomically high, and the speed of repairs quite slow.

You can say you'd do it the same all you want, that doesn't change the fact that Tesla is competing against every other car manufacturer on the planet who all make parts available to whoever wants them, service manuals too. As an end user this is 100% against my best interests. And it's not my job to care what Tesla's best interests are.

We're seeing this from entirely different perspectives. I see, and support, why Tesla has been (and still is being) very walled off with respect to selling parts outright, being hostile to use your word. Now, on the flip side of that, I also realize at some point this will need to change but for now I see it as a necessity...

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one... :)

Jeff

Tesla can feel free to do what they want here (until the courts force them to obey some of the various right to repair laws, but that's a different discussion)

But on the flip side, nobody here is under any obligation to endorse Tesla either. Each person needs to make their own decision on what is right for them, their family, and their friends. Tesla will not be the right choice for everyone, and it doesn't help to get upset at people for recognizing that fact.

Tesla will not be the right choice for everyone, and it doesn't help to get upset at people for recognizing that fact.

I'm not upset at someone opting to not buy a Tesla. What I'm upset about is existing owners discouraging other people from buying for reasons that, IMHO, are simply ridiculous. Especially when they have the audacity to claim they love the car... Really? You do? Sure doesn't seem like it.

Jeff

I'm not upset at someone opting to not buy a Tesla. What I'm upset about is existing owners discouraging other people from buying for reasons that, IMHO, are simply ridiculous. Especially when they have the audacity to claim they love the car... Really? You do? Sure doesn't seem like it.

Jeff
I think he was quite clear about his reasons, and I don't find them ridiculous in the least. Having a car that you may not be able to drive to the places you want to go, that will be extremely expensive to repair if it's in a collision, and that it's almost impossible to buy parts for is not for everyone.
I love my car, but I don't recommend it to anyone unless I think it really is the right fit for them. It's not my job to gloss over the disadvantages, I'm not Tesla's marketing department.

I think he was quite clear about his reasons, and I don't find them ridiculous in the least. Having a car that you may not be able to drive to the places you want to go, that will be extremely expensive to repair if it's in a collision, and that it's almost impossible to buy parts for is not for everyone.
I love my car, but I don't recommend it to anyone unless I think it really is the right fit for them. It's not my job to gloss over the disadvantages, I'm not Tesla's marketing department.

Shake my head...

Jeff

As almost everyone says, the car itself is awesome. There are areas to improve upon outside of the car itself, but it's not as bad overall as some make it seem.

Jeff

specific to the OP's problem/situation and this thread....

waiting 3 months for a rear quarter panel to be repaired is beyond ridiculous. it begs the question (of those who aren't forum members); how bad is it out there? there are enough instances brought up in this thread to suggest that turn around times to fix damaged body parts is far from good.

waiting 3 months for a rear quarter panel to be repaired is beyond ridiculous. it begs the question (of those who aren't forum members); how bad is it out there? there are enough instances brought up in this thread to suggest that turn around times to fix damaged body parts is far from good.

Absolutely 3 months is beyond ridiculous. I'm not trying to make it seem like I find this reasonable or acceptable, it isn't. What I'm saying is, this is literally the worst example but some are attempting to make it appear to be the norm. It isn't. I don't see any other examples in this thread that suggest this is a far reaching issue.

Jeff

Have to agree with green1. Mine is back at the SC (its been there 5 days already) for more QC issues that never should have left the factory. I do appreciate the efforts the SC staff has made to fix the issues, but Tesla the car company has a long way to go. Perhaps they will survive the model X and model 3 rollouts, perhaps not, but I refuse to gloss over they very real negatives of the company when people ask what I think. I should add that Tesla itself is responsible for changing my attitude towards the company and if it were not for the amazing staff at my local SC we would have sold the car and walked away by now.

Back in February 2014 I got rear ended, I was without my car for about 3-4 weeks while the whole rear end was replaced. (Insurance of course).

Personally I don't think this was unreasonable. But certain circumstances with certain products can always make one feel worse than another.

I am of the belief that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If it doesn't align with mine, agree to disagree and move on.

I personally recommend tesla to everyone because I've had a 2015 M-B S550 and it had so many issues I switched back to tesla.

I'm not sure what's up with that guy's shop. I had a qp done in September '15. One week for parts and 3 for the work.

Jeff

One can love the car while hating the service experience, and expecting good service is neither ridiculous nor idiotic. I don't see why you're having such a hard time understanding that.

Ironically, the way you're coming across in this topic is as much of a con in my "should I buy a Tesla check list" as the slow turnaround that y2kcurt is experiencing.

One can love the car while hating the service experience, and expecting good service is neither ridiculous nor idiotic. I don't see why you're having such a hard time understanding that.

Ironically, the way you're coming across in this topic is as much of a con in my "should I buy a Tesla check list" as the slow turnaround that y2kcurt is experiencing.

LOL... Then don't buy one. If you're seriously going to make that decision based off of some posts on an internet message board then you've got far greater issues than deciding whether or not to buy car A over car B. If you're going to choose to hang your hat on the fringe cases that represent the "worst" of the ownership experience then that is your choice and nothing I have said, or will say, is going to change that. In other words, blaming me because I'm brash and tend to remove the sugar coating from my opinions and perspectives is just unfortunate.

While this thread hasn't captured this aspect of my position, I have said numerous times before in other threads that there are things Tesla clearly needs to improve upon as a company, especially as it gets larger and with the Model 3 looming. While it wouldn't be much of a stretch to call me a fanboy, nor would I dispute the label, I am not completely blind to the challenges some owners have faced and that Tesla still hasn't gotten quite right. The number one most important aspect of this car, unless you're truly devoted to weening yourself off of fossil fuels, is does it have enough range to get you were you need to go or superchargers available on the route to bridge the gap? If the answer is no, then absolutely don't buy the car and you'd never hear me say a disparaging thing about that decision. If the answer is yes, then question number two should be, how far am I from the nearest service center? While I can't answer that for you, I agree that it's an aspect thats very important and shouldn't be overlooked. Even in my most pro-Tesla attitude I still question whether or not we'd have pulled the trigger if we still lived in Wichita KS. If you can comfortably check those two boxes then, IMHO, your out of excuses not to buy one assuming you have the financial means and I always assume people who are seriously looking have already checked that box so I never bring it up.

I'm not sure if my wider explanation of my perspective matters or was helpful or not, but I just feel that people shouldn't use the worst experience example to make a decision expect in the rarest of circumstances which I don't see this one as being.

Am I brash? Yes. Have I been known to be rude? Yes. Does that reflect poorly on me? To some, I'm sure it does. Do I make any apologies for my opinions, perspectives, and attitudes? No.

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: hybridbear
I'm still learning about the Tesla, but no matter how you dice it this incident is a con. How big of a con I don't know yet, nor do I know if it'll be a big enough of a con to negate the pro side of the list.

This incident made me recall an old '80s commercial for the Yugo of all things. They were making a big deal about how they'd imported a whole bunch of spare parts before even selling the car in the states. It seems that Tesla could learn from that.

- - - Updated - - -

How dare you recommend someone not to buy this car? Isn't that exactly what you got upset for originally that sparked this whole debate? someone suggested that not everyone should buy this car.

Amen :)

This incident made me recall an old '80s commercial for the Yugo of all things. They were making a big deal about how they'd imported a whole bunch of spare parts before even selling the car in the states. It seems that Tesla could learn from that.

Now I think I've heard it all on this forum. Tesla can learn from the makers of what has been called the worst car ever?

(These are great from the linked article: What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire? Totaled. What's included in every Yugo owner's manual? A bus schedule. What do you call a Yugo that breaks down after 100 miles? An overachiever.)

Look folks, Tesla is not perfect. When it comes to the auto industry it's still in diapers. There's bound to be growing pains for some time to come. And it's good to come to a forum like this one and read what they are from owners. I sure did. Then I took the plunge. And not only have I never looked back, it's also been one of the best decisions in my life (when it comes to material things).

Now, if my car is out of service for 3 months after an accident and because a part can't be obtained, would I be upset? You bet. Would it have stopped me buying the car in the first place? No way.

But everyone has to make that decision for themselves.

(By the way, my Leaf was out of service for 2 months after an accident because parts were hard to obtain and had to be brought up from the States -- still I would have bought it again.)

Last edited:
I have to wonder if others in the supply line were to blame between Tesla and the owner ...

1). Insurance company
2). Repair center being able to order (example credit line etc.)
3). Could be many reasons.

it does surprise me that the worst case is continuously flogged, while great repair work goes without comment. I'd buy another Tesla in a heartbeat. Based upon my experience, I discount most of these negative comments.

Have to agree with green1. Mine is back at the SC (its been there 5 days already) for more QC issues that never should have left the factory. I do appreciate the efforts the SC staff has made to fix the issues, but Tesla the car company has a long way to go. Perhaps they will survive the model X and model 3 rollouts, perhaps not, but I refuse to gloss over they very real negatives of the company when people ask what I think. I should add that Tesla itself is responsible for changing my attitude towards the company and if it were not for the amazing staff at my local SC we would have sold the car and walked away by now.
Thanks folks. I think Jeff's responses are unreasonable. Tesla is not a religious cult and it's not for everyone. Being honest with your friend about its real shortcomings is just that, being honest. He's not getting married to his Mercedes, he can sell it any time and buy a Tesla when they're closer to par in the post-sales experience for $100k+ luxury cars. This forum isn't hidden from the Internet. Tesla doesn't have the right to automatic unvarnished endorsements from its owners, it has to earn them. That's rule #1 of great product experiences, anyway... I don't hold out much hope for a reasonable disagreement with Jeff. He has deigned himself the judge of what another person's personal purchasing decisions and preferences are reasonable or not. He has also decided what kind of owner forum contributions are worthy. I'm an independent person and don't do genuflection too well. Tesla is in the car business, not the electric car business, no excuses. If they credit for designing beautiful cars that happen to be electric, they get fair and square criticism for lagging in post-sales experience where they do.

Thanks folks. I think Jeff's responses are unreasonable. Tesla is not a religious cult and it's not for everyone. Being honest with your friend about its real shortcomings is just that, being honest. He's not getting married to his Mercedes, he can sell it any time and buy a Tesla when they're closer to par in the post-sales experience for $100k+ luxury cars. This forum isn't hidden from the Internet. Tesla doesn't have the right to automatic unvarnished endorsements from its owners, it has to earn them. That's rule #1 of great product experiences, anyway... I don't hold out much hope for a reasonable disagreement with Jeff. He has deigned himself the judge of what another person's personal purchasing decisions and preferences are reasonable or not. He has also decided what kind of owner forum contributions are worthy. I'm an independent person and don't do genuflection too well. Tesla is in the car business, not the electric car business, no excuses. If they credit for designing beautiful cars that happen to be electric, they get fair and square criticism for lagging in post-sales experience where they do.

It seems to me that you're being much worse than Jeff, especially by implying those who disagree with you on this issue are part of a "religious cult". Also, your ad hominem attacks do nothing to move the conversation forward. People have different views on this issue and when we challenge them respectfully, rather than personally, we actually bolster our position, rather than undermine it.

Yugo may have gotten a lot wrong, but they at least understood that readily available replacement parts is good thing for customer service.

Yes, true. I just had to laugh about Tesla learning from them. But point taken.

Last edited: