Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Cars DO NOT have AP3 (Hardware3!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit confused by the fixation with HW 3.0. It does literally nothing right now and it's been assured as a free retrofit when it is needed. Granted, that process might be a bit sloppy but I have a lot bigger worries today. If FSD makes meaningful progress and I get the runaround for weeks and months on end on getting the HW needed to enjoy new features that I paid for (which I haven't yet, but will almost certainly at some point), then I might allow it to trouble my mind./

Yes I did pay for FSD.

It's just there is nothing binding being signed at time of delivery which states I'll be upgraded to HW3 when time comes.

It's just Elon on twitter and conference calls, all of which are not binding.

He could just saw he's changed his mind and we'd all be stuck at 2.5

Yes I did pay for FSD.

It's just there is nothing binding being signed at time of delivery which states I'll be upgraded to HW3 when time comes.

I'm not sure why you don't think explicit material promises made in public by the company and its CEO aren't binding.

Also when you order FSD that order page explicitly states you get the FSD computer as well. Which would also be binding.

You paid for FSD, you'll get FSD.

Elon Musk said HW2.5 is not powerful enough for FSD, thus, the free computer swap if you already paid for FSD.

So, in theory, if HW2.5 is powerful enough for FSD, then Tesla has no obligation to do a computer swap because as we all saw on the receipt, we paid for the function of FSD, not for a hardware.

So, in practice, you'll get your HW3.0 sooner or later because you already paid for FSD.

If FSD makes meaningful progress and I get the runaround for weeks and months on end on getting the HW needed to enjoy new features that I paid for (which I haven't yet, but will almost certainly at some point), then I might allow it to trouble my mind./

The downside is you may be jumping to the back of the line for the hardware update assuming Tesla does it properly by FSD order date. So there may be a longer period to wait while features are released when you could have just gotten the updated hardware right off the bat by waiting for the updated car. I would guess months wait, not weeks.

Who knows how long it will take them to work through the backlog, but they have 2 years worth of FSD cars to do. I am assuming that is not an insignificant number. It has taken them years to run through the airbag recalls and they are still working those. Granted, that was a lot more cars, but still. I believe the spoiler rollout was also a giant mess that is still ongoing months later.

Now, Tesla being Tesla, the rollout will probably be a huge mess and you may be able to get your car upgraded faster. Who knows. But I get people wanting to get a updated hardware car today vs dealing with it. I would too, and I have been waiting over a year for my FSD features.

They didn't give a hard time at all for return, but I'm no where near receiving my refund, and it's been a month.

I will have to pay the existing loan until they refund my bank, they will also have to refund my credit card the $2.5K

It's a very slow process, they apparently have no intention but to take the full 8 weeks (managing cash flow clearly)

...It's just Elon on twitter and conference calls, all of which are not binding...

In case you wondered why Elon said 2.5 is not powerful enough for FSD, just look how gigantic nVidia Drive Autopilot is in CES 2019 this year:

upload_2019-1-9_20-9-3-png.367746

It occupies almost the whole rear trunk!

So when Elon said 2.5 is not powerful enough, trust him!

You will get your HW3.0!

One other bit of advice i'd like....the new car was to be ready for this past Saturday, however, they said that the motor on the passenger door failed inspection, and so they had to order that part, delaying delivery to Tuesday.

Is that something to be concerned about or pretty normal w/ these cars traveling from California right off the production line?

I've actually pushed my delivery to Friday in hopes the Sales guy matches me w/ a HW3 but he may just be blowing smoke up my ass about the level of effort he's going to put into that at this point

IMO it's not something to be overly concerned about (it's a minor issue and equally minor repair). It is also not something I would characterize as "pretty normal" (worked at Tesla for 7 yrs and I've only come across a handful of these issues myself). In any case, I do not think the presence of such an issue (and subsequent repair) should deter you from taking delivery on Tuesday :)

The downside is you may be jumping to the back of the line for the hardware update assuming Tesla does it properly by FSD order date.

It makes no sense at all from a logistics perspective to do it that way.

Upgrades will be constrained by service center/mobile tech bandwidth- so doing it strictly in "how early you bought FSD" would create insane bottlenecks.

That said- since it makes no sense for logistics, Tesla might well do exactly that based on past history :)

Where does it say FSD = HW3/AP3

I don't see that anywhere on the website

it's right on the page where you order FSD.

Directly below the price box you check off it says:

Tesla.com said:
Includes the Full Self Driving Computer

That's HW3 (and has specifically been the name used for HW3 for a while now)

Reactions: OPRCE
I've actually pushed my delivery to Friday in hopes the Sales guy matches me w/ a HW3 but he may just be blowing smoke up my ass about the level of effort he's going to put into that at this point

Everything I've read and everyone I've spoken to all lead to HW3 if you order FSD. If you have 2.5, upgrading the HW is part of the fee.

Welcome first-time poster. How were they able to determine that you had HW2.5 instead of 3.0? Up until now I haven't heard of any way to tell other than by the birthdate or taking the dash apart (even for Tesla employees). Since you have it on your app, what version of software is running on your old one?

I was able to verify which HW mine came with via live chat on Tesla's website.

nice, i do see that...however no legal document states FSD Computer means HW3- he could just say FSD Computer is also HW2.5

Would be very bad PR....but the real risk is we never really get upgraded because he hedged it by saying only when it's fully ready, aka it may never be fully ready for upgrade..just will be on new cars

it's right on the page where you order FSD.

Directly below the price box you check off it says:

That's HW3 (and has specifically been the name used for HW3 for a while now)[/QUOTE]

Yes I did pay for FSD.

He could just saw he's changed his mind and we'd all be stuck at 2.5

Yeah, I was thinking of getting this guarantee in writing at delivery considering how flaky Tesla can be committing to things in the future.

One other bit of advice i'd like....the new car was to be ready for this past Saturday, however, they said that the motor on the passenger door failed inspection, and so they had to order that part, delaying delivery to Tuesday.

Is that something to be concerned about or pretty normal w/ these cars traveling from California right off the production line?

So no HW3, 300 miles on the ODO and not willing to work with you on that, and now another issue that should have been caught way earlier in QC/Inspection.

If I experienced even half this fiasco when picking up my $16k-out-the-door Sentra I would have walked from the deal.

Who knows how long it will take them to work through the backlog, but they have 2 years worth of FSD cars to do. I am assuming that is not an insignificant number. It has taken them years to run through the airbag recalls and they are still working those. Granted, that was a lot more cars, but still. I believe the spoiler rollout was also a giant mess that is still ongoing months later.

Another scenario to consider is if Tesla is chasing quarterly numbers as they have been, who will get priority: New cars going out the door or retrofits for customers' whose money they already have?

Reactions: Az_Rael