Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New casting machine: range boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it is the "in" thing to do to obsess over weight.
If you stop and THINK for a second though, do you see people post about wild range fluctuations based on number of occupants?

I would also like to see folks differentiate "range" as long distance high speed and "efficiency" for day to day use this would simplify discussion.

Weight difference if drastic like number of occupants can be seen as an efficiency change during stop and go, especially if the flow causes friction brake use. Steady state highway use where there are few acceleration events to waste energy, weight matters a lot less.

Engineering improvement almost always involves diminishing returns. Tesla's current products even the Y since it is based on the 3 are mature enough that 2% would be a big improvement. 2% on 300miles is 6miles.

Look at what happened with the S, went from 265miles from 85kw to 402miles from 100kw, that was big but those technologies and lessons learned are already there in the Y and 3, so gains are harder to come by.

On Tesla China’s website, it claims that the new casting machine reduces weight by 30%. Does that mean newer model Y will have a higher efficiency?

I'll be the contrarian and say, yes I expect a higher range soon. I'm not sure if it will be due to the casting machine, but I think that the vehicles for next year will improve by a very marginal amount (maybe 5% or less).

I can only hope this is true at least from the perspective of body structure. I placed an order 8/28 suspecting my build would probably benefit from this machine.

The only source for this being in operation is the Tesla Chinese social media page which I don't know how much faith I put into it. Being operational and actually producing castings that are being used in car assembly is yet to be seen. I ordered on 8/16 and not sure if I would want this just yet.

Yeah, this article keeps popping up as evidence, but it seems to be the same one everyone points to. It doesn’t give a date it started. And Elektrek isn’t the most reliable for info anyway. My Y was born 8/16, so I suspect I do not have this new casting, but it would be nice to know for sure. I am not sure whether I’d want to be the guinea pig for it, but I also like having the latest and greatest. Blessing and curse I suppose...!

Reactions: CO_MY
Abnormal sounds may be the occupant's screaming as the AutoPilot doesn't recognize something they thought it should?
Perhaps it could act as a white noise cancellation generator to cancel out my wife's comments about "do you have to accelerate that fast?" Or maybe it helps to reduce the giggling from the driver after they just accelerated from 0-60 in under 4 seconds?

as far as the weight reduction, if it helps me lose some weight, I'm all for it.