Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New cell phone app: Tesla Tattler --- works on all cell phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scott, Any updates??

Yes. The alpha units will go out to the domestic testers this week! Once we get the feedback from them, I'll start taking orders. I'll setup an "Official Tesla tattler support" thread so you can follow our progress...

I probably should gauge the interest in the tattler. If you want one, send an email to the address in the attached picture (NOT a PM to me). The price is $390 + s/h. Add another $40 if you want a 2 month unlimited SMS SIM card installed (pay as you go from t-mobile, includes 1st two months, $15/mo).

Attachments

• kwhpwr+tattler.PNG
    kwhpwr+tattler.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Tesla Tattler installation

The Tesla Tattler comes with 10 feet of cable and is installed behind the passenger headrest. The 1" GPRS antenna needs to be above the back shelf, but other than that, it's completely hidden. In one of the photos, I have pulled the Tattler up higher than it would normally sit.

Attachments

• IMG_3873 lores.JPG
    IMG_3873 lores.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3887 lores.JPG
    IMG_3887 lores.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3891 lores.JPG
    IMG_3891 lores.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 160
I probably should gauge the interest in the tattler. If you want one, send an email to the address in the attached picture (NOT a PM to me). The price is $390 + s/h. Add another $40 if you want a 2 month unlimited SMS SIM card installed (pay as you go from t-mobile, includes 1st two months, $15/mo).

Few other questions: Are we able to use our own SIM card (already have AT&T iPhone so might be cheaper for me to bundle it with that)?
Also, if someone had the expertise to develop an iPhone app, would it integrate with this solution? I don't but maybe someone will develop that some day. I like your solution of course since it's platform independent though.

f someone had the expertise to develop an iPhone app, would it integrate with this solution? I don't but maybe someone will develop that some day. I like your solution of course since it's platform independent though.

There's not a direct way for an iPhone app to interact with the Tattler, as there is no way for an app to send a text message without involving the user and no way at all for an app to receive text messages.

You could do it by tunneling the SMS/Tattler interface through a web service. The iPhone (or other smartphone) could send a message to a web server, the web server sends a message to the Tattler and receives the response. The smartphone then checks back to see what the result was, or some variation on that.

Few other questions: Are we able to use our own SIM card (already have AT&T iPhone so might be cheaper for me to bundle it with that)?
Yes, you can use your own SIM card. And I prefer that you do. T-mobile was having a deal on activation, so I was just passing it on with a small markup for my effort. I found out today that the $30 activation is no longer offered. so it's $10 for activation and $15/mo. For some folks, it may be cheaper to use pay-as-you-go. Each message is $0.10 to send and $0.5 to receive. If your tattler sends more than 150 messages per month, the flat rate is cheaper.

Also, if someone had the expertise to develop an iPhone app, would it integrate with this solution? I don't but maybe someone will develop that some day. I like your solution of course since it's platform independent though.
I was planning to go the iPhone route, but there are too many barriers... I was going to talk to the iPhone via blue tooth, but you have to use apple's authentication chip. We got the NDA, but it's nearly impossible to buy small quantities of the chip. Another approach, use a CDMA/UMTS module and talk directly to the iPhone. You can't do that, you must use push notification.

The first generation (Tattler) solution is to use SMS. The next generation (new SW on same tattler hardware) solution is to have the tattler act as a peer to peer wifi node with a flash based web UI (oh wait, iPhone doesn't support flash, make that java UI).

The first generation (Tattler) solution is to use SMS. The next generation (new SW on same tattler hardware) solution is to have the tattler act as a peer to peer wifi node with a flash based web UI (oh wait, iPhone doesn't support flash, make that java UI).

Java is good, as it can be cross compiled to iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Microsoft. Using a web based UI would also allow you to be on Wifi with your laptop/tablet and initiate charging or a cool down cycle.

As discussed in the Charging Lessons thread, can this send a message when the charging is stopped prematurely while the roadster is locked? (I mean similar to the ChargePoint network notifications.)

As discussed in the Charging Lessons thread, can this send a message when the charging is stopped prematurely while the roadster is locked? (I mean similar to the ChargePoint network notifications.)

Yes. If the charge stops for any reason, you get a message. If the alarm goes off, you get a message. You can get periodic messages as to the status of the charge. And in a future version, if you arrive home and the battery is hot, you get a nag message to plug in the car.

So any thoughts on whether this could be used as an anti-theft device? If someone is driving it and you issue the lock command what will the car do? If the person still has the key can they just hit the unlock button and it'll disarm? Is there some other command we could use to shut the car down remotely?

So far I have never used a public charging station but would like to use it as a way to be notified if someone trips the alarm. I'm also intrigued by other "advanced" things we'll be able to do like set custom charge rates, etc.

So any thoughts on whether this could be used as an anti-theft device? If someone is driving it and you issue the lock command what will the car do? If the person still has the key can they just hit the unlock button and it'll disarm? Is there some other command we could use to shut the car down remotely?
AFAIK, there is no way to shutdown the car from the VDS (IP)bus. The Tattler could hobble the car by remotely putting the car into Valet mode.

The tattler could also be told to send periodic GPS position updates, so you could at least track the car. And you could remotely lock the car and when the thief gets out, the alarm would sound.

I'm also intrigued by other "advanced" things we'll be able to do like set custom charge rates, etc.
In theory, the Tattler can do anything the VDS can do, including VDS debug screen. The tattler is essentially a "remote VDS". Any limits imposed by the VDS (like charge limits) can be overridden by the tattler. Any limits imposed by other systems in the car (e.g. PEM minimum charging current) it cannot override.

Does this affect the warranty on the Roadster in any way? This is looking really awesome. Thanks again for working on this.
In the US we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which in practice states that if a manufacturer denies a warranty claim due to a modification they (the manufacturer) must prove that the modification caused the problem - otherwise they have to fix it. So if a wheel falls off they can't point to the Tattler and deny your warranty claim.

Scott, can you explain the "cool down" feature with any more detail?
Is there any existing feature on the Roadster that corresponds to this?
I see a target temperature, but is that for the battery coolant or for the ESS itself?
Finally, assuming that the cool down feature is unique to your Tesla Tattler, how did you discover it?

Scott, can you explain the "cool down" feature with any more detail?
Is there any existing feature on the Roadster that corresponds to this?
I see a target temperature, but is that for the battery coolant or for the ESS itself?
Finally, assuming that the cool down feature is unique to your Tesla Tattler, how did you discover it?

Scott invented the cool down feature, it's not really a feature of the car. If you start a charge with a warm battery pack, the car will try to cool the pack as it starts the charge. The Tattler automates and optimizes use of this to get a cool down feature with very little charging.

The target temperature is for the battery pack (ESS).

Also, why isn't the cool down feature something Tesla would automatically include? Seems like a great idea.

Indeed. I suggested that Tesla implement a feature that would allow the car to draw power from the wall to cool down the battery pack, but not charge until the scheduled time. I was told it couldn't be done, that the cooling process only works when the car is charging. So I suggested it do as little charging as possible until the battery is cool. I got back this reply from a Tesla engineer via my customer service representative:

The idea of allowing you to cool the pack while only pulling enough energy from the wall to do so is something that we've talked about. Unfortunately, although the idea is simple, there are some significant hurdles in implementing.

Scott and I thought of it independently. I'll bet plenty of other owners have realized the value of a cooldown feature, especially those who pay time-of-use rates. Tesla says they thought of it, but couldn't figure out how to do it. And yet a motivated owner with no help from Tesla figured out a way to do it. I let you, kind readers, decide what the engineer meant by "significant hurdles."