Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charge Port Installed (Cold Weather Version)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New charge port installed. Mobile service sent me a photo of the new and old version (the one with the orange is the old version).

I was told the actuator motor is larger and now there are drain holes.

Hopefully this ends my cold charging issues.
IMG_7324.JPG
IMG_7325.JPG

Ditto here. Mobile tech will be coming to replace mine this Friday.

BTW, the mobile tech Bryan that came to replace my frunk lock in that cold minus 25 degrees temperature, kudos to him. Such a nice guy and put a rush request to have the charger port replaced.

New charge port installed. Mobile service sent me a photo of the new and old version (the one with the orange is the old version).

Hopefully this ends my cold charging issues. View attachment 374492 View attachment 374493

Ditto here. Mobile tech will be coming to replace mine this Friday.

BTW, the mobile tech Bryan that came to replace my frunk lock in that cold minus 25 degrees temperature, kudos to him. Such a nice guy and put a rush request to have the charger port replaced.

@McFlurri

I e-mailed my local service center to ask about getting this done. They just came back with the following:

"Yes Mobile Service can definitely take a look at this for you to see if they can diagnose your concern, however no verified bulletin update for a charge-port has been issued as per Tesla at this moment."

Are you guys able to provide me with any data to send back to them? Thank you.

@McFlurri

I e-mailed my local service center to ask about getting this done. They just came back with the following:

"Yes Mobile Service can definitely take a look at this for you to see if they can diagnose your concern, however no verified bulletin update for a charge-port has been issued as per Tesla at this moment."

Are you guys able to provide me with any data to send back to them? Thank you.
That sounds like BS to me.

Tesla never sent me the "invoice" after they did the work, but im sure you could just show them the pictures from this post to be like.."see.. this is the new part. Give me this!"

Service centres are so hit or miss (*cough OAKVILLE *cough)

• Informative
Reactions: SportsmanFlyer
That sounds like BS to me.

Tesla never sent me the "invoice" after they did the work, but im sure you could just show them the pictures from this post to be like.."see.. this is the new part. Give me this!"

Service centres are so hit or miss (*cough OAKVILLE *cough)

I sent them the pic of the revised unit which shows the part number. I'm working with Mississauga Service. I'll contact Oakville if Mississauga still insists there is no revised unit.

I got my charge port replaced on 1/29, but I'm not sure if it was the new version... I did notice the green light (when charging) is a slightly different shade (lighter green) from my original charge port. Is there a way to see if it's the new version after it's already installed?

**UPDATE**

Ok, so I'm at Tesla right now getting the part replaced. This is how this process works:

As of right now, there is NO OFFICIAL service bulletin to get this port replaced. So what this means is, they are NOT proactively doing this for customers and are only doing it on a one-off basis. I spoke to the lead technician here and completely understood his position on this matter.

Tesla has not advised any service center to complete this part replacement unless the customer has specifically complained about the port locking/freezing up and giving you the orange light. So if this indeed happening to you and you want the part replaced because it will improve your charging experience, you will need to open an official service incident with your nearest service center. Explain that your port has given you problem in the past with cold/wet weather and you would like this to be remedied. They will first ask if your pack was just too cold and if you gave it sufficient time to warm up if you see the "Limited Charging Due to Cold Weather" message. You'll have to make it clear that you are experiencing the freezing locking pin issue, if you indeed are.

They can handle this in the Service Center or via Mobile Service.

Tesla may in the future release an official bulletin for this and cars would either get their port components proactively replaced or replaced during their next service visit. This is an unknown at this point.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding what I just stated. Thanks.

I got my charge port replaced on 1/29, but I'm not sure if it was the new version... I did notice the green light (when charging) is a slightly different shade (lighter green) from my original charge port. Is there a way to see if it's the new version after it's already installed?

I recently got mine replaced as well and be curious if there is an easy way to tell. Do we just pull back the trunk lining and look for part numbers? A few months ago I went through a car wash and got a message in the dash to have the charge door looked at and it would randomly open and close while parked. After a few weeks it went to normal and the message went away (probably dried out). Then a month ago there was some heavy wet snow coming down while I was running errands and the message reappeared. I never had any charging issues, just the message on the screen and that early erratic behavior. I do park in a garage and only once charged in the rain back in June.

Hopefully this ends my cold charging issues. View attachment 374492 View attachment 374493
Had mine changed out Friday no issues since and we had the whole mix this weekend of -25 cold, snow storm & freezing rain