Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new comfort suspension switch over dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a back-to-back drive. Definite improvement noticed in my friend's 2023 MYP, over my 2022 MYP. We have bad, heaved roads in Upstate NY and I could tell the difference right away. 2023 has more of a damped, BMW feeling. Still bad, but not *as* bad. :)

If you don't notice a difference between '22 and '23 suspension, come to New York. There is a section of road I test on that has continuous bumps for about 20 seconds, and it would knock my head/body around a bit. The '23 controlled it much better and the car wasn't shaking back and forth as much. But it wasn't "comfortable" by any means like it is in our Hyundai.

Now that I know I'm going to change my suspension, I just have to consider these or the Tein EnduraPro Plus shock kit. They're both the same price... But Tein goes even softer.
Have you ridden in other cars with after market coilovers? i’ve ridden in MPP and both Ohlins. Wondering how the OEM comfort suspensions (not coilovers) would compare

ah gotcha. how would you say the new OEMs compare
I have not been party to a test ride in the 'comfort' suspension equipped MY.
I should probably take advantage of my SA (a fairly rare good one) and beg a test.

I have taken the Redwood Ohlins for a test ride and the improvements were apparent.
Because they are the only aftermarket setup I know of that is not designed around a lowered ride height, this is the one I would get.
I do not want to lower the ride height at all. the stock 6.5" ground clearance is pretty low already.
it ain't a porsche and I ain't tracking this car. been there, done that for a decade.

the only question is whether the Ohlins are worth the 2.5-3X price difference over 'comforts'.
broadly, I'm sure they are. more pointedly, is it worth it to YOU.

I have not been party to a test ride in the 'comfort' suspension equipped MY.
I should probably take advantage of my SA (a fairly rare good one) and beg a test.

I have taken the Redwood Ohlins for a test ride and the improvements were apparent.
Because they are the only aftermarket setup I know of that is not designed around a lowered ride height, this is the one I would get.
I do not want to lower the ride height at all. the stock 6.5" ground clearance is pretty low already.
it ain't a porsche and I ain't tracking this car. been there, done that for a decade.

the only question is whether the Ohlins are worth the 2.5-3X price difference over 'comforts'.
broadly, I'm sure they are. more pointedly, is it worth it to YOU.
i tested the redwood ohlins and they were smooth but still felt the minor bumps

i tested the redwood ohlins and they were smooth but still felt the minor bumps
you will always be feeling something. that's not a bad thing; you want feedback, just not excessive. one major factor is the wheelbase, which no suspension setup will change.
as comparison, take a Porsche Cayenne out for a test drive. Same wheelbase, good reputation for suspension development.
you'll still feel some bumps, but mostly hear them, not jarringly feel them.

I have a June '22 PY that came with p-Zero summer tires. I thought my suspension was many times more comfortable than my '18 LR 3 before that. It's even better with those tires at 38 psi.

Elon stated that 39 psi on a model 3 had only a 2% hit on efficiency so you might try lowering your pressure and see if you feel you still need a new suspension. Until this month, I used to run 45 psi on both of my Teslas and close to max sidewall pressure on all my vehicles before that.

I had one of the very first Y Performances and it rode like cement, like every single road imperfection was magnified 10X. I then switched to the LR and it was a lot better. Fast forward some years and now thinking about the extra power the Performance has over the LR...does it still ride like hell, or have they smoothed out some of the rough edges over the years?