Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: commute too far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I’ve perused the forums on here for a while getting lots of good information. Specifically I have wanted to get a Tesla for 2 years now. My issue is the length of my commute. 3 days a week I drive 180 miles round trip without anywhere to charge. Live in Midwest so temps can be very low(also have ICE work vehicle). Would a model 3 standard or standard plus do the trick? Or am I SOL?

I have a Model 3 performance and although it was my first winter with the car I have a regular 110-mile round trip commute and on cold days it used anywhere from 55% to 65% of the batter to make the commute. That included pre-conditioning the car before my commute home and being careful about using the heat. I am also running the Tesla recommended 19" Pirelli snow tires. In warm weather, I have no doubt you can make it, but if you don't have an option to plug-in anywhere I think it will be tight in the winter. Yesterday was the first really nice day (70 degrees and little wind) I got to take the car on a long trip and the first time I got close to the rated range.

GLM

Go with the Long Range, and consider 18" aero wheels. In what passes for winter here in Southern California, 250+ miles on 19" sport wheels in a M3 LR AWD is not a problem, but like all vehicles high speed eats in to range, as does cold temperature. There's a great summary of range vs. speed vs. vehicle model & wheels here: Teslike.com. To help with the range, you could use that 110 outlet to keep the battery & interior toasty for the return journey. With the mileage you're doing, go for it, especially if you have solar power - we spend next to nothing on electricity despite doing 24k miles/year. Can't comment on snow driving though as I've only once driven it in a light sprinkling using all-season tires. Good luck!

Your prob good if you plug in at work. I do 90% to 30% on a 130 mile commute in NY but I am driving a performance.

You don't want to charge to 100 everyday. You will also use heat and AC and just go fast sometimes so that will use more

In the snow the awd is great but I am sure the single motor is fine too. I bet the single motor with snow tires beats a dual without. Snow tires make a huge difference.

Reactions: PJFW8
180 miles roundtrip is way too far for standard plus. You don't want to worry about having enough juice to get home every time you commute. Even with a LR, one of the day, you will forget to plug it in overnight. It could be because you got some grocery bags to unload and put in the fridge. It could be that you had to unplug it to go out for a quick trip and forgot to plug it back in when you came back. Doesn't matter what the reason is, you will wake up in the morning, get to the car, and found that you don't have enough to get to work and back.

What I am saying that you will have to have a backup plan even if you get a LR with that commute:
1) ice backup
2) supercharger in between home/work
3) option to not drive to work for the day

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Yeah. I’m self employed so I could charge at work with 110 outlet. And there is one hotel with a charger on way home. It charges at 24mph. Makes for a long day tho. Also, how does it handle on snow? RWD and AWD?

Maybe a little more details about your line of work and this destination would be helpful to divulge. Do you own this place, rent it, or know the owner? Is it one place or many places?

120v does not sound like enough power for you to comfortably make this trip on a regular basis. What it does tell is that you have an opportunity to install more power. Whoever would give you a 120v outlet will also be able to provide you with more than that.

Maybe a little more details about your line of work and this destination would be helpful to divulge. Do you own this place, rent it, or know the owner? Is it one place or many places?

120v does not sound like enough power for you to comfortably make this trip on a regular basis. What it does tell is that you have an opportunity to install more power. Whoever would give you a 120v outlet will also be able to provide you with more than that.
I own 2 clinics. Don’t own either building but could do whatever I want as far as electrical. I’m just cheap and don’t want to spend money on someone else’s building. I pay utilities as well so no benefit that way..

180 miles roundtrip is way too far for standard plus. You don't want to worry about having enough juice to get home every time you commute. Even with a LR, one of the day, you will forget to plug it in overnight. It could be because you got some grocery bags to unload and put in the fridge. It could be that you had to unplug it to go out for a quick trip and forgot to plug it back in when you came back. Doesn't matter what the reason is, you will wake up in the morning, get to the car, and found that you don't have enough to get to work and back.

What I am saying that you will have to have a backup plan even if you get a LR with that commute:
1) ice backup
2) supercharger in between home/work
3) option to not drive to work for the day
I have an ICE backup.
No super charger but there is ONE hotel with a 24mph charger,
I have to drive but I could maybe charge with normal outlet for 8 hours while I’m at work.

Yes, you can make it work when charging at work. You might also have to drive slower than you'd like when it is very cold and a head wind. From charging at work you'll get 3-4 miles of range per hour, so if you work 10 hours that will be 35 miles extra range. It is cold that might be closer to 20 miles of extra range. As other's have said a long range version would be more comfortable, and the used one's with FSD would make your commute more enjoyable.

Last edited: