Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: commute too far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are a profitable business owner, and cheap, you should consider getting a Model X. Your entire purchase price can be written off the first year, making the X net cost much less than a Model 3. If you add 220v charging at your office, you can also get a write off there for 30% as well.

It has over 350 miles of range, is a much more comfortable long distance cruiser. Comes standard with AWD and a more plush interior.

Worth a look. Give your accountant a call and ask him about Section 179 + accelerated depreciation schedules for SUV's with over 6,000 GVW.

Base Long Range comes with premium sound, premium interior, Tow Package and Free Supercharging for under $85K.

Most of my Dr. friends have gone this route.

Last edited:
I own 2 clinics. Don’t own either building but could do whatever I want as far as electrical. I’m just cheap and don’t want to spend money on someone else’s building. I pay utilities as well so no benefit that way..

Daytime top-up will be good when parked. You still need LR though, unless you can provide at least 240v/20A (or better) when parked, in which car SR+ would be OK.

If you only can provide 120V, try at least to get 20A. But that still a top-up, adding about 6 - 7 mph, though better than 120v/15A, especially in the winter.

If you are a profitable business owner, and cheap, you should consider getting a Model X. Your entire purchase price can be written off the first year, making the X net cost much less than a Model 3. If you add 220v charging at your office, you can also get a write off there for 30% as well.

It has over 350 miles of range, is a much more comfortable long distance cruiser. Comes standard with AWD and a more plush interior.

Worth a look. Give your accountant a call and ask him about Section 179 + accelerated depreciation schedules for SUV's with over 6,000 GVW.

Base Long Range comes with premium sound, premium interior, Tow Package and Free Supercharging for under $85K.

Most of my Dr. friends have gone this route.
We are definitely profitable but only 9 months into second office so have so many write offs we wouldn’t need the write off for another year or two. But I suppose I could ask.
I’ve just used mileage write off at this time with my ICE. But I would love the mileage write off with an EV would be nice!
Also, profitable but cheap. Or at least my wife is haha

Reactions: DanCar
Understand. Just thinking how much nicer your long commute might be inside an S or X. They are really quite remarkable long distance cruisers. Range on the current Model S is also almost 400 miles! S does not quality for the bonus depreciation, but perhaps the best long distance cruiser in the World...

Just the gas and maintenance savings will make any Tesla a great choice.

I own 2 clinics. Don’t own either building but could do whatever I want as far as electrical. I’m just cheap and don’t want to spend money on someone else’s building. I pay utilities as well so no benefit that way..

Actually, you do have a slight benefit to charging at work b/c it is pre-tax, just being added to the clinic's utility bill, but you will have to charge both at home and at work.

You can look into what the cost would be to install an outdoor charging station or NEMA 14-50 outlet in one or both locations. It really varies by location. Install will be pre-tax if your clinic pays for it, and has 30% tax rebate.

You might say "well I could spend 10k on the LR and save 2k on the charging install," but it may be a better solution. Better to get the LR and get the extra charging.

Charging Partners | Tesla

Install a destination charger. You get up to $1000 for residential installation and up to $30,000 for commercial. Federal tax rebate.

Then you can buy whatever Tesla you want and every so often you will get a new Tesla friend.
But then I’d be paying for random strangers charges right?!? Not saying I’m 100% against that but seems silly from a business standpoint.

But then I’d be paying for random strangers charges right?!? Not saying I’m 100% against that but seems silly from a business standpoint.
No, they let you restrict destination chargers to customers only. More useful for places considered a destination - hotel, b&b, golf course, etc. Someplace where your customers will be a while. At a store that I'm only spending <15 minutes in, plugging in to charge is annoying and not very useful, but also doesn't cost the business much. I often plug into the free plug share chargers at Target if one is empty. I usually get <2kwh of charge, or about $0.25 worth for free.
But letting me charge overnite while I stay at your hotel, b&b, or airbnb is a huge customer draw.

No, they let you restrict destination chargers to customers only.

Are you describing a Chargepoint system, or something else? I'm pretty sure there's no Tesla system associated with particular vehicles.

There are several RFID enabled J1772 chargers available now, at a very wide range of prices. RFID would be a decent solution for employees, but not very good for customers. I imagine there are some units that allow a PIN to turn on the charger, and that would solve the customer problem as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: user212_nr
Are you describing a Chargepoint system, or something else? I'm pretty sure there's no Tesla system associated with particular vehicles.

There are several RFID enabled J1772 chargers available now, at a very wide range of prices. RFID would be a decent solution for employees, but not very good for customers. I imagine there are some units that allow a PIN to turn on the charger, and that would solve the customer problem as well.
Sorry, I meant that if you qualify for the destination program you can restrict the chargers to customers by policy. I.E. Sign on the wall. From what I hear most places with chargers are pretty liberal - if you ask nicely they rarely say no, but they can.

Hey guys. I’ve perused the forums on here for a while getting lots of good information. Specifically I have wanted to get a Tesla for 2 years now. My issue is the length of my commute. 3 days a week I drive 180 miles round trip without anywhere to charge. Live in Midwest so temps can be very low(also have ICE work vehicle). Would a model 3 standard or standard plus do the trick? Or am I SOL?
Long range man. SR Plus and SR are cutting it close especially with winter weather where you’ll lose tons of range in the cold.

Long range man. SR Plus and SR are cutting it close especially with winter weather where you’ll lose tons of range in the cold.

Don't forget the battery-aging problem and the don't fully charge or run it really low all the time problem. 240 is really only 192 miles if you avoid the top 10% and bottom 10% of your brand new SR+'s battery.

Take off an incredibly optimistic 10% for weather and less-optimistic 10% for battery aging, and you are at 155 miles. Worst case lets say 25% for weather and 20% for battery, and you can regularly go 115 miles between charges...

• Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr
without somewhere to charge there is NO WAY a standard or standard plus can do a daily 180 mile R/T commute all year
An AWD if driven conservatively should be OK and if you can find a used one a LR RWD would be even better.

If you have no other car for bad weather days I would honestly be hesitant to recommend any electric vehicle for that commute if you have no way to charge while at work or on the way, as I imagine there will be days when it would be really close even with an LR, too close for my comfort.