Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Corded Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the emphasis on "overhang" in the description, and the fact that the original UMC is still available, I feel like this is more of a HPWC supplement than a sign that Tesla is moving away from outlet adapters. A lot of people use the UMC at home with a 14-50 outlet and pretty much just leave it as a permanent installation. Some of us (I did this) wire the HPWC to a 14-50 plug as a sort of hybrid solution. This is kind of an official version of that, almost.

Anyway, I hope that's true, because I want Tesla to have lots and lots of different outlet adapters!

I could see buying one as the semi-permanent way to charge in my garage and then keep the original UMC in the car. However, since it is priced so close to the original UMC, I would probably just spend the extra $30 to get another mobile connector bundle which can be used with the adapters I have/will have: 5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-30 & 14-50 instead of one that is hard-wired to 14-50.

If it was priced more in the $450 - $500 range, then I might consider this one over the original UMC.

Reactions: pchilds
With the emphasis on "overhang" in the description, and the fact that the original UMC is still available, I feel like this is more of a HPWC supplement than a sign that Tesla is moving away from outlet adapters. A lot of people use the UMC at home with a 14-50 outlet and pretty much just leave it as a permanent installation. Some of us (I did this) wire the HPWC to a 14-50 plug as a sort of hybrid solution. This is kind of an official version of that, almost.

Anyway, I hope that's true, because I want Tesla to have lots and lots of different outlet adapters!
Hope you're right. My concern is that the current UMC would be discontinued when supplies are exhausted. We will see...

IMHO, it's the right evolution to make for this product. It should improve reliability, and reduce cost. Both contribute positively to the disruptiveness of Tesla's products at a small expense to its flexibility. And you can always buy or make your own adaptor(s) if you really need to, coupled with dialling down the current draw of course.

Also IMHO, NEMA 14-50 is in the exact right sweet spot for EV charging. Adequate current but not so much it excludes many homes' available power. The only beef is the unnecessary neutral conductor...

I think it would be a huge mistake to discontinue the 5-15 plug. Yeah, L1 charging is horribly slow and it sucks compared to L2. But it's awesome compared to not charging at all, and 5-15 outlets are about a million times more common. It's not something most people would want as a permanent solution at home, but it's extremely useful as a stopgap while you wait to get L2 charging installed, or while staying overnight somewhere. And you want the average electrically-illiterate Joe to be able to plug into an outlet and have it work, so a 5-15 to 14-50 adapter won't cut it there.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if Tesla did so, and attempted to standardize on 14-50 as part of a drive for simplification. I would be extremely disappointed, but not too surprised.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if Tesla did so, and attempted to standardize on 14-50 as part of a drive for simplification. I would be extremely disappointed, but not too surprised.

I suppose it's possible they could do something similar to what TurboCord does as their charger supports both 240v and 120v with just an add-on plug.

Perhaps Tesla will make 14-50 the default plug and then have add-on plugs for 5-15, 5-20, 14-30, etc.?
aerovironment-turbocord-dual-voltage-portable-charge-cord-2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
Tesla really needs a more comprehensive redesign of the UMC. They need to have the following:

1. Larger current carrying pins on the adapter
2. Thermal sensing in every adapter
3. Current indicating resistors in every adapter

I think a 9"-12" tail for each plug type and a robust locking intermediate connector is needed. Whether that connector is inline on the line cord or on the body of the UMC doesn't really matter. In this respect, the Type-2 UMC is a much better design.

Hope you're right. My concern is that the current UMC would be discontinued when supplies are exhausted. We will see...
I hope that the current UMC would not be discontinued. I see it more like mikeash where it serves like a semi-permanent EVSE (where the current UMC sticks out more because of the adapter).

As others point out, they still have to figure out how to support 110V.

I suppose it's possible they could do something similar to what TurboCord does as their charger supports both 240v and 120v with just an add-on plug.

Perhaps Tesla will make 14-50 the default plug and then have add-on plugs for 5-15, 5-20, 14-30, etc.?
aerovironment-turbocord-dual-voltage-portable-charge-cord-2.jpg
They almost already have that with the umc. You would have to see the actual plug on it to tell if they enabled any sort of extend ability.

I feel like this is more of a HPWC supplement than a sign that Tesla is moving away from outlet adapters. A lot of people use the UMC at home with a 14-50 outlet and pretty much just leave it as a permanent installation
I agree. I think this new charge cable is simply another choice that owners can purchase. I do not expect Tesla to discontinue the cable and adapters that are currently shipping with new cars. That would not make any sense. 14-50 outlets are hardly a universally available plug.

Tesla really needs a more comprehensive redesign of the UMC. They need to have the following:

1. Larger current carrying pins on the adapter
2. Thermal sensing in every adapter
3. Current indicating resistors in every adapter

I think a 9"-12" tail for each plug type and a robust locking intermediate connector is needed. Whether that connector is inline on the line cord or on the body of the UMC doesn't really matter. In this respect, the Type-2 UMC is a much better design.

You mean like this?
Tesla — Universal Adapters - Available in North America Only

I've thought of doing this to gain a longer cable, but otherwise what is the advantage of adding a 14-50 plug to the HPWC? A 14-50R can only safely support 40 amps, the max that the UMC supports, so the only benefit I see is having a longer cable. Am I missing something else?

The advantage is just somewhat more robust hardware and a nicer-looking installation. It lets me keep the UMC in the car at all times, and the added cost over a second UMC was only $100 at the time.

I've thought of doing this to gain a longer cable, but otherwise what is the advantage of adding a 14-50 plug to the HPWC? A 14-50R can only safely support 40 amps, the max that the UMC supports, so the only benefit I see is having a longer cable. Am I missing something else?
NEMA 14-50 plugs are rated for 40 amps continuous. The 80%/125% rule for continuous currents, can't recall what it's called.