Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Cybertruck images from earlier today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Cybertruck spotted in Palo Alto today with new camo wrap. More photos in thread.
screenshot-twitter.com-2023.06.14-01_22_59.png

Lawd, Jeebus you're still going. Let's get some things straight...

Your original point was that Tesla designed it the way they did because a double-hinged split down the center door design would be too complicated.

--I showed you other vehicles that use simple one sided covers.

You moved the goal post and said the vehicles I showed using the single sided covers were more expensive than the Cybertruck and that I should show a Kia instead of a Bentley...or some such nonsense.

--I explained that one of the pictures actually WAS a Kia and all three were cheaper than the Cybertruck's rumored price.

You moved the goal post, yet again, saying those vehicles don't count because they aren't comparable to the Cybertruck.

--I showed you MANY mid and full size pickup trucks that don't have any cover at all. One that does. All with a more premium looking interior than the Cybertruck.

Again, you changed your point, this time to claiming Tesla designed it that way so it could the door could be used as a work surface (using a table, of all things to back up your post).

--I explained to you that what you finally found isn't even a cup holder cover. Further, if Tesla designed it to be used as a work surface why would they use ridges? Have you ever tried to write on a surface containing ridges? Makes for a great surface, doesn't it? Oh, you could just place a clipboard/hard surface over the cup holder cover's ridges? Well what the point of the cheap cover being there at all? Oh, it's to place laptops/tablets on? Wrong, try again. If a laptop/tablet is placed there it would rest on the edges and bridge the cover. It wouldn't even come in contact with the cover. Again, another one of your expert opinions disproven.

Now, after I gave you the 'W' and moved on, you scour the internet to find something/anything to back you up and you come up with a picture of a 22 Ram 2500, and claim it has sliding cup holder covers.

--WRONG AGAIN, but twice as wrong this time. Not only is that NOT a sliding cover. It's TWO doors AND the entire piece slides under the armrest 😂 (you know, complicated designs you claim your expert cupholder designer experience taught you truck makers don't do).

Not only were you wrong about them using a sliding door. You were wrong about truck manufacturers not wanting to use flip doors. You were wrong about them not making complicated interiors. You were wrong about cheaper vehicles using flip doors. You were wrong about competitor vehicles using doors. You were wrong about a sliding ridged door being a good work surface.

What is the point of all of this? I gave you the 'W' and you couldn't take it. So you attempted to try to change the narrative for the 8th(?) time and still failed to make whatever point you're trying to make? Why? What would I have to say for you to accept that, even with all of your failures, you win the internet award? What else do you want?

You're right. I don't think it's cheap looking. Cheaper cars don't have cup holder doors. Many comparable trucks do have cup holder doors. Cup holder doors are too complicated. Dodge's very complicated double-flip cup holder/sliding mechanism isn't a very complicated double-flip cup holder/sliding mechanism. You win. I lose. K?

🥳🥳🥳 here, throw a party. I'm done talking about cup holder doors.

G'night.
Pot meet kettle.

This particular design of a cup holder cover looked cheap. The cost of that component isn’t cheap I presented higher end trims of legacy trucks that had have had various covers, and gave you a design studios pov why Tesla went in that direction.

The reason why there are ridges is to have a channel for the cover to move over. The more flush the cover, the harder it is to to mount the mechanisms that move the cover in a place that wouldn’t break after an amount of cycles that vary from OEM to OEM.

I guess folks aren’t using laptops anymore in field usage re: surface ridges. Or there aren’t compromises/determination made based on customer data and human factor testing. Or that people don’t lean all the way forward when writing rather than using an armrest and put a laptop in front of it while a doing so, which would answer your open ended question.

But perhaps you should show us your design solutions around multi complex issues of a living space that is an automotive interior. I can give you a hard points package to sketch over.

Pointing to a ‘ahh ha moment’ while digging up your own collection of to prove a point on projects I’ve known to be compromised for a number of reasons was amusing, thanks for that.

‘Finally found’ was my attempt to have a more nuanced discussion of design/engineering to your point of ‘covered covers’.

The Ram part I listed has many complaints of failures already from owners. Which was my point. But it is in a higher end trim of that vehicle which was another point. Along with the sliding cover in the GT-R interior redesign, Golf 7 etc and a host of other higher end (for their respective segments) products, but hey it’s ‘muhhh opinion’.

You are correct, I’ve lost by engaging with you. Enjoy.

Last edited:
This pulled up yesterday as I was charging in Waco. My first time to see one in person. Spoke briefly with one of the drivers. Asked if this was a production vehicle and he indicated that it was "sort of." They wouldn't give me a look inside. I didn't pursue that since we will all be seeing the production vehicles soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 21
This pulled up yesterday as I was charging in Waco. My first time to see one in person. Spoke briefly with one of the drivers. Asked if this was a production vehicle and he indicated that it was "sort of." They wouldn't give me a look inside. I didn't pursue that since we will all be seeing the production vehicles soon.
That's the first pic where I've noticed one in a lower suspension setting. Can't say it helps the look.
I just think it's gonna be a love/hate thing. There are plenty of times when I've had initial thoughts about a car's design and the more I see it my thoughts change. This has not been one of those times. It's just too polarizing, which was Elon's goal in the first place.
It's always going to be a niche model. Something Elon wanted to do just to show that Tesla wasn't going to be a cookie cutter auto maker.
Point made Elon.

I'm ready to move on to the Model 2/Mini Y where the real industry impact is going to be.
Maybe he even has the audacity to copy his idol and call it the Model T. 😏

Reactions: TessP100D
Any thoughts after seeing it in person? I've often heard it looks better in person, but I question that perspective honestly. Still butt ugly to me regardless of the height or angle. Don't get me wrong I still have a reservation, but man, is the design polarizing to say the least.

The Cybertruck just seems like a desperate cry for attention. The "somebody, anybody, PLEASE look at me!" vehicle. And yes, still quite hard on the eyes.
Your post reminded me of a Honda Ridgeline Superbowl commercial.

Having owned and enjoyed six Ridgelines including three of the awkward-looking first-generation models, I'm no stranger to criticism and misunderstanding of the model. It's all the truck that most truck buyers need for their actual hauling, towing, and off-roading needs in a better-riding, better-handling, safer, more efficient, more useful, and more practical package, yet it remains a niche vehicle nearly 20 years after its introduction.