Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW DOOR LATCHES!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the drivers door latch fail open a few months ago on my May 2016 Model X. As in, the door refused to latch shut. I had to have the car towed in. Curiously, the tow company (part of Tesla's roadside assistance program) towed the car in with the door unsecured. Apparently they were more worried about scratching the paint than the door flinging open.

I'm glad to hear TM is investing in better latches.

I have a loaner MX today. The car only have 1500 miles. The door had new latch assembly with new actuators and motors. The door open and closes with no sound what so ever. I was told by the tech that the new assembly won't work on the older models because it has different mount points. :(

I had a brand new loaner a few days ago while I had towing retrofit installed, had just a few miles on it. I must say that I noticed improvements with the front door latches. They were so much smoother, quieter, etc. They didn't pop the door open as abruptly but just eased it open. The windows also seemed less harsh raising/lower that 1/4 inch when door closed - not sure about that one. Liked the new FWD interior switches a lot more also.

Yesterday my X's driver's side front door latch failed, and the SvC towed it today, replaced the latch and returned the car tonight. Great service.
The service rep told me that my car doesn't have any outstanding service bulletins, but the new part number was 1084917-80-G. When I googled 1084917 there seems to be 1084917-00s and -As. So it looks to me that there are a lot of minor changes to the latch. They didn't proactively change my passenger side door latch. Just one data point.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Yesterday my X's driver's side front door latch failed, and the SvC towed it today, replaced the latch and returned the car tonight. Great service.
The service rep told me that my car doesn't have any outstanding service bulletins, but the new part number was 1084917-80-G. When I googled 1084917 there seems to be 1084917-00s and -As. So it looks to me that there are a lot of minor changes to the latch. They didn't proactively change my passenger side door latch. Just one data point.

Same thing happened to me last week. They only replaced my drivers side door latch. I don't notice any difference in operation though.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Same thing happened to me last week. They only replaced my drivers side door latch. I don't notice any difference in operation though.

I think they only proactively changed our latches for those of us that had probably around the first 10,000 MXs. They were failing a lot. Even as of just 6 months ago they were on their 3rd iteration of latch, probably couple more now even.

You really can't hear any mechanism/motor, I can't pick up on anything with my own ears.

Here's a video since there's so much demand for it :p
latches.mp4

Unless you watch REALLY closely, you can't even tell their soft close, especially when sitting on the inside.
Video works on my iPhone. That is an improvement from what I recall from the overnight demo X we had a few months ago. Pretty smooth and quiet!

No worries, your will probably break soon ;-) If they don't you are pretty lucky I'd say. It happens pretty abruptly usually - just starts to cycle over and over and won't stop typically.
that's not very nice...lol

i hope it's soon because our service center just got a silver loaner MXP100D with 22" black wheels. :D (already driven the black MSP100D loaner car, haha)