Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great day running around NEw England gearing up for boating and fishing season. Drove from Sandy Hook to Mystic back to Old Saybrook to West Hartford to Providence ending up at out ski home in Wilmington, VT.

450 miles and 3 Superchargers (West Hartford, Auburn & Brattleboro)

Stopped at a propeller shop and talked to the owner. His son comes in and asks how I like the Tesla. 2 minutes later 5 guys from the shop are taking a tour of the car.

At the Canvas shop, my canvas guy asks for a ride.

At the West Hartford SC I see a P85D with a Senator license plate. Turns out it is CT State Senator Art Linares who is the one sponsoring the bill to allow Tesla to sell direct in CT. Said a quick hello, told him I wrote my reps to support his bill and talked a little about his car he just picked up. Nice guy.

I've had my car since September and I am still thoroughly amazed at how well this car performs. Just awesome! Thanks Tesla!!

Hi All,

New TESLA model S owner in Newton MA - waited for all-wheel drive, a real plus in New England! Awesome vehicle, hard to describe what an advance it is over an "auot" - I am wondering if there will be a Tesla Motors club gathering in NE this summer, it seems there are plenty of owners - I ondly recall SAAB and VOLVO meets in Waterville Valley NH in past years. Seems TESLA deserves no less - maybe more?

Robert Abbe

Hi All,

New TESLA model S owner in Newton MA - waited for all-wheel drive, a real plus in New England! Awesome vehicle, hard to describe what an advance it is over an "auot" - I am wondering if there will be a Tesla Motors club gathering in NE this summer, it seems there are plenty of owners - I ondly recall SAAB and VOLVO meets in Waterville Valley NH in past years. Seems TESLA deserves no less - maybe more?

Robert Abbe
Congrats!

There is a meetup.com group where the action happens for the new england owners.

You might see me around Newton once in a while. Have a few clients in the area.

Hi All,

Another
Robert Abbe

Another fellow newton owner! I am organizing an event in white mountains this summer. We did it two years ago and it was a blast!

Hi All,

Robert Abbe
Congratulations on your new Tesla, and we welcome you (or at least your first post) to TMC!

Don't forget to get signed up on the New England TMC Group page and the New England Meetup page.

Hi,
I live in Somerville. Drove here with my wife & 3 dogs in my 2013 Model S from Cali; about 1000 miles out of the way, but free charging the whole way. My PV array went online in Dec. 2014. Last month it produced 527 kWh. Who needs sunny California? Anybody have the Nstar/Eversource TOU rate plan? I am wondering if it is worth switching?

Hi,
I live in Somerville. Drove here with my wife & 3 dogs in my 2013 Model S from Cali; about 1000 miles out of the way, but free charging the whole way. My PV array went online in Dec. 2014. Last month it produced 527 kWh. Who needs sunny California? Anybody have the Nstar/Eversource TOU rate plan? I am wondering if it is worth switching?

All the way from CA with 3 dogs along for the ride? No offense, but that sounds painful! At least I hope you're not talking St. Bernards...

My solar is with Solar City so all I see is a rolled back meter (no selling back), not that I'm complaining about that! As for Time-of-Use, Nstar told me back in November or December that they don't have TOU rates. Maybe now that it's EverSource that's changed, though.

Last edited:
Welcome, both!
Hi,
I looked closely at the NStar TOU and thought it was worthwhile for me, but that's because we had light daytime usage (no A/C). If you have typical use profiles, it's hard to make the TOU rate pay off because the energy price isn't shaped, only the wires costs.
Hi Folks,
I live in Cambridge, MA. Waiting for my S85D to arrive at the end of April. Hoping to meet the fellow owners in NE area. I will have lots of questions.
We have lots of answers, so you've come to the right place. The general "life with a Model S" sort of question is probably already asked and answered in the Model S area of this forum, but don't be shy about asking anything here, particularly with respect to New England-specific questions (e.g. do I need snow tires?).

Hi Folks,
I live in Cambridge, MA. Waiting for my S85D to arrive at the end of April. Hoping to meet the fellow owners in NE area. I will have lots of questions.

//ashok

Hi,

Welcome to you both! I'm in Cambridge right by the Somerville border in the Agassiz neighborhood, and have a neighbor with a Red S40 around the corner. I have a separate meter for the charger because we have a shared garage. I took a look at what I think was the TOU rate plan but I'm not consuming enough to really make it pay. I would love to put up solar but have been told we have too many neighbors' trees blocking the sun. Happy to answer any questions and demonstrate things on the car before your car arrives, Ashok. Just send me a private message.

Thank you! Mt. Washington sounds fun. We go to Quebec's Eastern Townships, which is just north of Jay Peak VT. PeterK, I'm not up for "adventurous" ways of getting to my destination, but my husband probably is up to the challenge! We'll definitely post some questions closer to the trip.

Some trips have been adventurous (see some of my posts), some just eye-opening. For example, I've been driving from Cambridge to the NY side of Lake Champlain for years. But I only discovered Montpelier's quaint downtown shops and restaurants when I got the Model S and stopped at the L2 public charger there. Much more civilized than gas and fast food in West Lebanon, which I guess we'll be back to as soon as the supercharger opens - a mixed blessing. I wish I could have convinced Sarduccis restaurant to install an HPWC...

Bill here. Live in Winchester and am partner in wealth management firm. Have had the S for two years...

- - - Updated - - -

Peter,

Am planning to go from Winchester, MA to Montreal for F1 this weekend. Getting there looks to be tricky, as West Lebanion not up and running yet, right? Are there any S onwers around Burlington that might have info on best places to charge?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill here. Live in Winchester and am partner in wealth management firm. Have had the S for two years...

- - - Updated - - -

Peter,

Am planning to go from Winchester, MA to Montreal for F1 this weekend. Getting there looks to be tricky, as West Lebanion not up and running yet, right? Are there any S onwers around Burlington that might have info on best places to charge?

Thanks,

Bill
West Leb has a long way to go (I was there last Sunday). Based on watching Hooksett go up, I'd say they have at least a couple of weeks of solid work, at a minimum.

Your best bet is to check plugshare (plugshare.com) and Sun Country Highway's map for options.

If you have dual chargers, there is an 80A HPWC on plugshare in Hanover, NH (it's inside the garage, so you have to pre-arrange with the owner). Hcsharp also has 80A at his house in Thetford, VT. If you want to make a longer stop, there are 30A chargepoints in the Hanover town garage. All are on plugshare.

Also, if you take 89 all the way to the boarder, then route 133 to A-35 to A-10, there is a Sun Country Highway 72A J1772 off A-35 in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu:
Assurance Romeo Bessette & Fils Inc in Montreal -

If you can get a Chademo adapter, there are several options in WRJ, Barre, Montpelier, and Burlington, but they seem to be hit or miss:
P85d. Montreal trip. Range assurance? Chademo? No range anxiety? Right...

I went to the Montreal F1 around 10 years ago (all 3 days). Lots of fun. I think the support races were more fun to watch than the main event (the first time I've seen a Porsche 917/30 in real life). Enjoy!

EDIT - plugshare also shows a HPWC right off 89 in WRJ, but no mention of amperage.

Last edited:
Burlington area

West Leb has a long way to go (I was there last Sunday). Based on watching Hooksett go up, I'd say they have at least a couple of weeks of solid work, at a minimum.

Your best bet is to check plugshare (plugshare.com) and Sun Country Highway's map for options.

If you have dual chargers, there is an 80A HPWC on plugshare in Hanover, NH (it's inside the garage, so you have to pre-arrange with the owner). Hcsharp also has 80A at his house in Thetford, VT. If you want to make a longer stop, there are 30A chargepoints in the Hanover town garage. All are on plugshare.

Also, if you take 89 all the way to the boarder, then route 133 to A-35 to A-10, there is a Sun Country Highway 72A J1772 off A-35 in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu:
Assurance Romeo Bessette & Fils Inc in Montreal -

If you can get a Chademo adapter, there are several options in WRJ, Barre, Montpelier, and Burlington, but they seem to be hit or miss:
P85d. Montreal trip. Range assurance? Chademo? No range anxiety? Right...

I went to the Montreal F1 around 10 years ago (all 3 days). Lots of fun. I think the support races were more fun to watch than the main event (the first time I've seen a Porsche 917/30 in real life). Enjoy!

EDIT - plugshare also shows a HPWC right off 89 in WRJ, but no mention of amperage.

I would be happy to let you use our NEMA 14-50, which we use for our Model S. If you had an adapter, you could charge your Model S on our Roadster's 70 Amp HPWC). PM me if interested.

David