Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New feature, pop the door on latest app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This feature is almost amazing - if my driver door would “pop” open when I’m nearby, just like the Model X , then it would be killer!
Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes I approach the car to get something out of the frunk or trunk or even from the rear seat. I don't want it popping open the drivers door every time which then also has to be manually closed. Even if you walked past your parked car outside your house the door would unlock and leave the car insecure.

Reactions: Js1977
Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes I approach the car to get something out of the frunk or trunk or even from the rear seat. I don't want it popping open the drivers door every time which then also has to be manually closed. Even if you walked past your parked car outside your house the door would unlock and leave the car insecure.
Yes, whenever I've walked past my Daughters Model X with one of the keys in my pocket, either just passing, on the way to the garage or maybe only intending to open the boot - the drivers door pops slightly open which is extremely annoying. I'm glad the 3 & Y do not have this feature.

Yes, whenever I've walked past my Daughters Model X with one of the keys in my pocket, either just passing, on the way to the garage or maybe only intending to open the boot - the drivers door pops slightly open which is extremely annoying. I'm glad the 3 & Y do not have this feature.
You do know that you can simply disable the auto-open feature in Settings?

Presumably daughter likes it like that? ...

I have the same thing with door handles popping out whenever I walk past the MS ... its fine if I actually want to get in, an annoyance if not ... wear-and-tear on door handle motors that have a history of needing attention
Yes, it's her husbands car & he has set it like that. We visit them in the USA regularly & some days we both use the car so one of the keys may be in my pocket when I walk past & activate the door.

I figured I would add the short cut if and when I wanted to use it like when the handle is iced. I am too worried that I will pop it when not by the car and not be able to close it again since it does not seem to have a confirmation step ( is this possible or am I missing something)
On a related note to anyone with a car with Black handles. The design is slightly different from the old chrome ones. In case you are not aware the old bang the handle with your palm technique in the manual to remove ice has been replaced with a new one. Instead you are supposed to push in on the thin end which should free up the handle. I have tried it and it works but the icing was not heavy.

• Informative
Reactions: HenryT
I figured I would add the short cut if and when I wanted to use it like when the handle is iced. I am too worried that I will pop it when not by the car and not be able to close it again since it does not seem to have a confirmation step ( is this possible or am I missing something)
And the other downside when it is iced and you use the pop up button in the app is the windows don’t go down automatically. The chances of anyone just going in and closing the door is a high possibility leading to windows shattering etc.,. You have to remember to push the thin end of the black handle inside which mechanically triggers the system to lower the window. The pop up door icon isn’t great given the amount of other problems. Hope Tesla will come up with a different solution at some point.