Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Fiscal Cliff" bill seems to keep EV tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My reading of the bill passed by the Senate last night shows that there is no renewal of the EV credit. Anyone reading it differently?

If it isn't mentioned it will continue, AFAIK. The bill only expires, per manufacturer, after they produce 200,000 cars. So no mention is a 'continuation'. It would have to be specifically mentioned for it to end.

This is my understanding of the way the credit was written. I could be wrong.

From inner PIA JF:

... the Senate "fiscal cliff" bill passed last night extended the EV infrastructure tax credit and 2-3 wheeled credit until the end of 2013. In the case of the infrastructure tax credit it stays at 30%; for the 2-3 credit it is still 10%, but applies to 2-3 wheeled vehicles which have greater than 4 kwh and can go more than 45 mph. These apply for all vehicles or EVSEs purchsed in 2012 as well. More soon (as soon as the House passes it or not).....

Indeed - the $7,500 federal tax credit for 4-wheeled plug-in vehicles was never in danger as it was written to expire on volume rather than time. (Well, somebody could have explicitly canceled it, but nobody ever tried, to my knowledge).

It does look like we might get the EVSE and 2-3 wheel credits back. That would be nice, as they expired at the end of 2011 just as equipment was arriving. Plug In America has been following this very closely, and we helped make sure that the EV incentives were part of the extenders bill; but there hasn't been a lot we could do to make sure the extenders bill passed as anything we said would have been lost in the fiscal cliff noise. (As Jay Friedland likes to say, we are the bacteria in the gut of the flea on the tail that is wagging the dog).

Last edited:
It doesn't automatically expire in 2013. The concern with the credit was twofold. First, that if the Republicans won, the credit would be a casualty given that Romney mentioned Tesla and Fisker in the debates and on the campaign trail. Second, some owners were counting on getting it in 2012 rather than 2013 and paid estimated payments or pegged their withholding accordingly.

if the Republicans won, the credit would be a casualty given that Romney mentioned Tesla and Fisker in the debates and on the campaign trail..
I still don't get where people were finding this linkage. The objection to Tesla, Fisker, Solyndra, etc. was in government investment in individual companies (rather than venture capitalists). Buyer incentives broadly for EVs is a different thing entirely. At least as I understand it.

Similar to: home mortgage tax deduction vs. giving a loan to an individual home construction company.

I still don't get where people were finding this linkage. The objection to Tesla, Fisker, Solyndra, etc. was in government investment in individual companies (rather than venture capitalists). Buyer incentives broadly for EVs is a different thing entirely. At least as I understand it.

Similar to: home mortgage tax deduction vs. giving a loan to an individual home construction company.

You are trying to use logic to explain things the Congress does. Stop it. It doesn't apply.

The linkage was really that EV credits are considered "Obama policies" (even though they really aren't). So, all Republicans had to be against it since they opposed anything Obama-related. As an exmaple, in the heat of the campaign, I rec'd a letter from my GOP Congressman decrying the EV tax credit as a waste of taxpayer money. This letter was really a piece of work simultaneously implying the deficit was significantly increased by the EV credit and the EV's were a failed proposition. This statement can only be wrong because the credit only is paid when a sale occurs. So, if the sales were minimal as the letter claimed, then there would be no impact to the deficit since the money wouldnt be paid. A complete joke of a letter.

Anyways, many hoped that it would be better once the election passed. Jury is still out on that.

The EV credit for cars would need to be specifically repealed/ended. Reinstating (and backdating to 2012) the EVSE credit is a welcome addition as well. So, anyone who paid for the HWPC (or any other charging solution) can claim up to 30% of the costs of it and the install. Hmm, maybe I will opt for it then.

I don't think it's illogical to believe that the right wanted to do away with renewable energy subsidies. Based on campaign trail comments about eliminating subsidies, deductions and credits as a means to pay for reducing rates and promote simplification, I think it is more illogical to think that they would support the EV credit.

Yes, it should be eligible as well, assuming it is passed.

Edit: Actually, let me backtrack. I can't say for certain if installation costs (incl. 14-50) is eligible for the federal one. I know some states' do/have allowed install costs. But not sure about the federal one. Sorry for confusion!

Last edited:
Yeah, wondering the same thing here.

My EVSE just happens to be in the form of a NEMA 14-50 socket. Can I claim the rebate on its installation?

I am in no way a tax lawyer, but the text of the credit just says property "for the recharging of motor vehicles propelled by electricity, but only if the property is located at the point where the motor vehicles are recharged." I don't see why a NEMA 14-50 socket wouldn't qualify as long as it was installed for the purpose of recharging a motor vehicle.

Yeah, wondering the same thing here.

My EVSE just happens to be in the form of a NEMA 14-50 socket. Can I claim the rebate on its installation?

The US tax credit instructions (IRS form 8911) contain the following qualifications:

To recharge an electric motor vehicle, but only if the
recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is
recharged.
In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify
for the credit.
• You placed the refueling property in service during your tax
year.
• The original use of the property began with you.
• The property is not used predominantly outside the United
States.
• If the property is not business/investment use property, the
property must be installed on property used as your main home.

The amount of credit is the smaller of $1,000 or 30% of the cost. This would make it seem like a NEMA 14-50 installation is qualified.

States vary. Illinois, for example, requires it to be a UL-listed J1772 EVSE. The Tesla HPWC and its installation do not qualify.