Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly what I thought when I gave Elon money 4 years back for FSD, now that I have the FSD hardware (MCU1/AP3) that he said (which is all I need), I am still not able to get even a preview of this tech, while Elon has changed direction on how they will realize the FSD or lack there of.
I donated $15k to the cause, $5000 back in 2019 and 10k in August with the Plaid purchase. I chose not to donate another $10k when I got the MYP in September. Enough is enough!

Although we've been waiting a long time to get our money's worth for FSD, I like to keep something in mind: If it weren't for Tesla, there'd be no such thing as even a chance to get into something like an FSD beta, or the beta versions of autopilot, etc. -- that we've already enjoyed. Just think about how much that's improved through software updates.

The traditional car companies can't fathom letting customers beta anything at scale. They're too risk averse and would also rather give us incremental improvements -- by buying another vehicle from them the next model year. That's slowly changing, thanks to market pressure from Tesla.

FSD is fundamentally a very different kind of challenge; it's no ordinary technology feature. Great design and engineering just aren't enough for this kind of problem. FSD requires tons of real-world data collection, and the beta is a way to scale that up. But, Tesla must still be careful. There's no perfect way to do that, but Tesla is at least trying.

We're participating in an amazing revolution of autonomous driving technology. I think it's really cool to get to personally experience this in its early days, contribute a tiny bit with my driving data, and watch it improve over time. We'll get there!

Last edited:
I posted this in the other thread
Although we've been waiting a long time to get our money's worth for FSD, I like to keep something in mind: If it weren't for Tesla, there'd be no such thing as even a chance to get into something like an FSD beta, or the beta versions of autopilot, etc. -- that we've already enjoyed. Just think about how much that's improved through software updates.

The traditional car companies can't fathom letting customers beta anything at scale. They're too risk averse and would also rather give us incremental improvements -- by buying another vehicle from them the next model year. That's slowly changing, thanks to market pressure from Tesla.

FSD is fundamentally a very different kind of challenge; it's no ordinary technology feature. Great design and engineering just aren't enough for this kind of problem. FSD requires tons of real-world data collection, and the beta is a way to scale that up. But, Tesla must still be careful. There's no perfect way to do that, but Tesla is at least trying.

We're participating in an amazing revolution of autonomous driving technology. I think it's really cool to get to personally experience this in its early days, contribute a tiny bit with my driving data, and watch it improve over time. We'll get there!
Agreed, and I like how Tesla is carefully expanding the set of beta users to a larger and larger audience, which will improve FSD's behavior over time.

The only issue is that Tesla (or Elon, really) made so many promises about timeline that people who bought FSD a while back are antsy to have access to it already, without feeling like the guinea pig jumping through many hoops to get admitted in the first wave of public beta.

If expectations were set differently, and Tesla didn't take people's money for FSD so early, I don't think many people would be upset.

The only issue is that Tesla (or Elon, really) made so many promises about timeline that people who bought FSD a while back are antsy to have access to it already, without feeling like the guinea pig jumping through many hoops to get admitted in the first wave of public beta.

If expectations were set differently, and Tesla didn't take people's money for FSD so early, I don't think many people would be upset.
I agree. On one hand Entrepreneurs must think big, really big, and need to possess above-reasonable levels of optimism about what can be accomplished. On the other hand, it does set things up for disappointment at times.

So, I think that's part of it (and even Elon -- the polymath -- has admitted that FSD turned out to be much harder than he expected) and maybe also some excited marketing at play. ;)

All things considered, maybe this is what it took to help Tesla survive. There were numerous times when they very nearly did not.

Reactions: impastu
If you're not on Autopilot anyone cutting in your lane generates an Unsafe Following deduction. What bullshit.
Occurred on numerous occasions as I was driving thro DC streets and in Georgetown. I was on AP but suddenly someone finds that parking spot and applies brakes and there you go... my scores go down. They should grade based on the difficulty level too.

Yesterday I had a woman come in to my lane from the opposite direction and had I not swerved onto the shoulder and used the brakes pretty hard, it would have been a pretty bad head on collision. It is all on dashcam and somehow I still got a 100 score for that drive. Unbelievable lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
My strategy is to call off work for the next week so I dont have to drive on the highway with these others clowns. I should be a shoe-in for FSD beta amirite?
Just stay out of Atlanta. I'm finding that AP with "Tesla vision" is slower to react to bumper to bumper traffic stops on highway. Scared the *sugar* out of me that AP just kept me humming along in fast lane at 65mph when middle lane was stopped and clearly ahead all traffic in left lane was a dead stop. So rather than play chicken with AP I overrode with brake. And I was rewarded with a massive safety score penalty for "Forward Collision Warning". So to game the system I should leave it stay in AP and HOPE that it breaks in time. WTAF.

Reactions: Phlier and VM0412