Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I don't think they would need to tell you. Do you really think they are going to admit a driver that only drives 1 mile a week?

The additional criteria may not have to do with safe driving, but they do have to do with how useful your driving would be to them gathering the data they need.
I think they need drivers that do a lot of city driving, not hundreds of miles on the interstate. They already have the high mileage people covered in the current version of FSD. Interstates are not a big priority right now. Thus, lower mileage people who drive on rural two lane roads and in towns and cities are whom they should be targeting. I call BS.

Reactions: jebinc
Thus, lower mileage people who drive on rural two lane roads and in towns and cities are whom they should be targeting.
And how would they target those people if they didn't look at things other than the Safety Score?

1632753731420.png

It falls in the "your vehicle driving data" category of things they are going to analyze in addition to the "Safety Score."

And how would they target those people if they didn't look at things other than the Safety Score?

View attachment 714903

It falls in the "your vehicle driving data" category of things they are going to analyze in addition to the "Safety Score."
Perhaps they will look at the location data in the vehicle on where the vehicle is primarily garaged and driven. They could select based on geographical location to get those who drive in cities, towns, and rural areas. They want a diverse group of responders. Again, FSD works pretty well on Interstates and there isn't much added data driving on Interstates could provide for the new FSD rewrite. PS - nobody knows for certain.

Again, FSD works pretty well on Interstates and there isn't much added data driving on Interstates could provide for the new FSD rewrite.
I never said they would be targeting Interstate drivers. Their sort criteria could be that Interstate driving is less than x% of your total driving. Or it could vary by geographical location. And they will probably need plenty of Interstate driving once they switch out the NoA code to the "single stack" to validate that it works well everywhere. (Since Highway/Interstate driving doesn't currently use the beta FSD code.)

I also predict there will be a lot of pissed off FSD owners come Sunday; many.... I will likely bail from the program if I have a high score and don't get selected this weekend, as I have no desire to continue driving around, like a dolt, trying to manage a score for weeks/months/years on end. I purchased a Plaid to enjoy it, safely.
I don't use FSD now very much except on trips because it just doesn't work. FSD has caused me much stress, both in using it as it is and wanting to get the latest versions that are supposed to work on roads that are not limited access roads. Besides pissing away the thousands I wasted on FSD promises, I really do enjoy just driving the car without all the FSD alerts, warnings, nags, etc.

I predict there is going to be a lot of anger next weekend for those who do not get it. Demands for refunds, etc.
He shouldn't have said "the button" was coming for wide release for months on end, and then spring Grandma driving on everyone when you are not even using FSD. If the car has a safe FSD system, the criteria should be been based on you paying attention while using it. For example how many times you look away while it's engaged, fidgeting on phone while driving, not touching the steering wheel. That's the point isn't it? You still must be actively in control of the car while it's activated. Not what your driving behavior is while it's NOT being used. The car in FSD isn't even going to do all the things you are being judged on.

I also predict there will be a lot of pissed off FSD owners come Sunday; many.... I will likely bail from the program if I have a high score and don't get selected this weekend, as I have no desire to continue driving around, like a dolt, trying to manage a score for weeks/months/years on end. I purchased a Plaid to enjoy it, safely.
You have to assume that your score (and more) will continue to be monitored for as long as you are in the beta program. It would be incredibly irresponsible of Tesla to allow crazy drivers to remain in the program.

Reactions: MP3Mike
You have to assume that your score (and more) will continue to be monitored for as long as you are in the beta program. It would be incredibly irresponsible of Tesla to allow crazy drivers to remain in the program.
No, but they will gather as much information about you and your driving that you allow. Unless you opt out of the Safety Score process, they will continue to monitor you and collect data -- even when they deny you the FSD beta.

I predict there is going to be a lot of anger next weekend for those who do not get it. Demands for refunds, etc.
He shouldn't have said "the button" was coming for wide release for months on end, and then spring Grandma driving on everyone when you are not even using FSD. If the car has a safe FSD system, the criteria should be been based on you paying attention while using it. For example how many times you look away while it's engaged, fidgeting on phone while driving, not touching the steering wheel. That's the point isn't it? You still must be actively in control of the car while it's activated. Not what your driving behavior is while it's NOT being used. The car in FSD isn't even going to do all the things you are being judged on.
Tesla was very clear that they want drivers to help teach the car to drive. The safety score is part of the evaluation of the driving style of the teacher.

Reactions: cwanja
If you have Android, are you not scored, or just can't see it? Anyone know? I have the button in the car to register for FSD.
I don't really care if I can see the score in the app. My question is am I being scored as the car certainty has all the info it needs and thus Tesla. So is the in app display just for my knowledge or required to get FSD.

I read a score of 80 or above is required.
Pretty certain you start being scored as soon as opt into the beta. Regardless of whether or not you have the data in your app. I do not even think the app update is required for FSD beta, as it enables absolutely nothing with FSD beta. The score is just transparency on Tesla's part.

Reactions: Bull and DerbyDave
Tesla was very clear that they want drivers to help teach the car to drive. The safety score is part of the evaluation of the driving style of the teacher.
Well if we are the teachers, shouldn't they be paying us? LOL. By the way, for $10K there is no FSD, no autopark available on the refresh S, and the summon feature is a complete joke and cannot do what it shows in Tesla's own visualization example of going around a crowded parking lot and picking you up. At some point you gotta say, give us what we paid for.

Here is the real info from Tesla:

Support​

1. Ordering
  2. Delivery
  3. Owners
  4. Forums

Safety Score Beta​

safety-score

The Safety Score Beta is the first release to the Safety Score which is an assessment of your driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that your driving could result in a future collision. We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app. You can find details around your daily Safety Score by selecting ‘Daily Details’ at the bottom of the screen.
The Safety Score Beta is intended to provide drivers transparency and feedback of their driving behaviors. The Safety Score is a value between 0 and 100, where a higher score indicates safer driving. Most drivers will have a Safety Score of 80 or above.

The Five Safety Factors​

There are five Safety Factors that impact your Safety Score. These are measured directly by your Tesla vehicle using various sensors on the vehicle and Autopilot software.
forward-collision-icon
Forward Collision Warnings per 1,000 Miles
Forward Collision Warnings are audible and visual alerts provided to you, the driver, in events where a possible collision due to an object in front of the vehicle is considered likely without your intervention. Events are captured based on the 'medium' Forward Collision Warning sensitivity setting regardless of your user's setting in the vehicle. Forward Collision Warnings are incorporated into the Safety Score formula at a rate per 1,000 miles.
hard-braking-icon
Hard Braking
Hard braking is defined as backward acceleration, measured by your Tesla vehicle, in excess of 0.3g. This is the same as a decrease in the vehicle’s speed larger than 6.7 mph, in one second. Hard braking is introduced into the Safety Score formula as the proportion of time (expressed as a percentage) where the vehicle experiences backward acceleration greater than 0.3g relative to the proportion of time where the vehicle experiences backward acceleration greater than 0.1g (2.2 mph in one second).
aggressive-turning-icon
Aggressive Turning
Aggressive turning is defined as left/right acceleration, measured by your Tesla vehicle, in excess of 0.4g. This is the same as an increase in the vehicles speed to the left/right larger than 8.9 mph, in one second. Aggressive turning is introduced into the Safety Score formula as the proportion of time (expressed as a percentage) where the vehicle experiences lateral acceleration greater than 0.4g, in either the left or right direction, relative to the proportion of time where the vehicle experiences acceleration greater than 0.2g (4.5 mph in one second), in either the left or right direction.
unsafe-following-icon
Unsafe Following
Your Tesla vehicle measures its own speed, the speed of the vehicle in front and the distance between the two vehicles. Based on these measurements, your vehicle calculates the number of seconds you would have to react and stop if the vehicle in front of you came to a sudden stop. This measurement is called headway. Unsafe following is the proportion of time where your vehicle’s headway is less than 1.0 seconds relative to the time that your vehicle’s headway is less than 3.0 seconds. Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph and is incorporated into the Safety Score formula as a percentage.
forced-ap-disengagement-icon
Forced Autopilot Disengagement
The Autopilot system disengages for the remainder of a trip after you, the driver, have received three audio and visual warnings. These warnings occur when your Tesla vehicle has determined that you have removed your hands from the steering wheel and have become inattentive. Forced Autopilot Disengagement is introduced into the Safety Score formula as a 1 or 0 indicator. The value is 1 if the Autopilot system is forcibly disengaged during a trip, and 0 otherwise.

Determining Your Safety Score​

In order to calculate your daily Safety Score, we use the Predicted Collision Frequency (PCF) formula below to predict how many collisions may occur per 1 million miles driven, based on your driving behaviors measured by your Tesla vehicle.
Predicted Collision Frequency (PCF) = 0.682854x1.014495Forward Collision Warning per 1,000 Miles
x1.127294Hard Braking
x1.019630Aggressive Turning
x1.001444Unsafe Following Time
x1.317958Forced Autopilot Disengagement
The current formula was derived based on statistical modeling using 6 billion miles of fleet data. We expect to make changes to the formula in the future as we gain more customer and data insights.
The PCF is converted into a 0 to 100 Safety Score using the following formula:
Safety Score = 115.382324 - 22.526504xPCF
Your daily Safety Score is not impacted by the number of miles or hours you drive. We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) into a mileage-weighted average to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, which is displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app.

Improving Your Safety Score​

You can improve your Safety Score by improving each Safety Factor.
Forward Collision Warnings per 1,000 Miles
Maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front to give you enough time to react to slower or stationary vehicles. Pay attention to the other vehicles on the road and reduce speed in traffic congested areas.
Hard Braking
Engage the brake pedal early when slowing down, coming to a stop or reacting to a change in your environment. Use regenerative braking whenever possible and safe to do so. Maintaining a safe following distance reduces the instances where the brake pedal needs to be applied with extreme force.
Aggressive turning
When turning, changing lanes or rounding a corner, do so gradually. Reduce your speed heading into a turn, gradually accelerating out of the turn. Do not unnecessarily jerk the steering wheel.
Unsafe Following
Do not tailgate or drive close to the vehicle in front. Maintain a following distance of several car-lengths to the vehicle in front to have sufficient time to react to its speed. Remember that driving at higher speeds in inclement weather or on slick road surfaces requires a greater following distance to allow sufficient time to react safely.
Forced Autopilot Disengagement
Only use the various Autopilot features as described in your Owner’s Manual. Pay attention to the road and maintain your hands on the steering wheel while the Autopilot system is engaged. Autosteer detects your hands by recognizing slight resistance as the steering wheel turns, or from you manually turning the steering wheel very lightly (without enough force to take over steering). Autosteer also qualifies your hands as being detected if you engage a turn signal or use a button or scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

Frequently Asked Questions​

What’s required for me to get a Safety Score for my vehicle?
When available for your vehicle, you will see 'Safety Score' on the home screen of the Tesla app. To receive a Safety Score:
  • Your vehicle must be on software update 2021.32.22 or later. To check the latest software version on your car, tap 'Software' on your touchscreen.
  • Your vehicle must be connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network.
  • You need to take a trip that’s at least 0.1 miles on your vehicle.

Will I receive a Safety Score if I don’t have connectivity?
In the event that your vehicle does not have cellular connectivity while on a trip, you may not receive immediate feedback upon the end of your trip. You will receive your updated driving information and Safety Score once your vehicle has connectivity. Premium Connectivity is not required to receive a Safety Score.
How often will my Safety Score be updated?
In order to provide you real-time feedback on your driving safety, every time you take a trip in your Tesla vehicle, your Safety Score for that day will be updated. At the end of each day, your Safety Score for that day will no longer change — any subsequent trips will be used to determine your Safety Score for the following days.
In the event that you do not have cellular connectivity, you may not receive immediate feedback upon the end of your trip. You will receive your updated driving information once you have connectivity.
Is all my driving captured?
Tesla captures driving over all trips, where a trip consists of any driving (including reversing and Autopilot usage) occurring between the time the vehicle is powered on and able to be driven to the time the vehicle is powered off. Any driving and accrued mileage occurring while in service mode is excluded. Trips less than 0.1 mile will be excluded from scoring calculations. Driving on Autopilot will not be included in Safety Score calculations, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.
I had a Forward Collision Warning while Autopilot was engaged. Will my Safety Score be impacted?
No. The Safety Score formula ignores any events (not just Forward Collision Warnings) that occur while Autopilot is engaged and appropriately utilized. This does not include Forced Autopilot Disengagement.
Miles driven while Autopilot is engaged is used to determine the Forward Collision Warnings per 1,000 Miles. Miles driven on Autopilot are also considered when calculating the mileage-weighted Safety Score.
How will I know that I have experienced an event that would contribute to my Safety Factors and Safety Score?
Your vehicle provides you with a range of safety features that include warnings and alerts to help protect you, your passengers, other drivers and pedestrians around you. View the Owner’s Manual for specific details about the various safety features in your vehicle.
Review the following to learn more about how an event contributes to each Safety Factor:
  • Forward Collision Warnings per 1,000 Miles
    Forward Collision Warnings produce audio and visual alerts when a possible collision with an object in front of the vehicle is considered likely without your intervention. Events are captured based on the 'medium' Forward Collision Warning sensitivity setting regardless of your user's setting in the vehicle. You may not see or hear the alert if your setting is less sensitive.
  • Hard Braking
    No audio or visual alerts are provided if you brake with excessive force. In some cases, the anti-lock braking system (ABS) which prevents the wheels from locking when you apply maximum brake pressure, may be activated, and you will see the ABS alert. If you apply the brakes with extreme force, you may feel like you are being pulled forward into your seatbelt, away from the seat.
  • Aggressive Turning
    No audio or visual alerts are provided if you turn with excessive force. If you take a turn with extreme force, you may feel the sensation of being pulled away from the direction you are turning.
  • Unsafe Following Time
    Your Tesla vehicle does not provide you with any audio or visual alerts when you are following at an unsafe following distance. You may receive a Forward Collision Warning if your following distance makes collision with the vehicle in front likely.
  • Forced Autopilot Disengagement
    Your Tesla vehicle will provide three audio and visual warnings before the Autopilot system is disengaged due to inattentiveness. Please refer to the Owner’s Manual in your vehicle for details of these alerts and the circumstances in which the Autopilot system will disengage.
  • How does my Safety Score work if I have more than one vehicle?
    Your Safety Score is vehicle specific. If you have more than one Tesla vehicle, each one of your Tesla vehicles will have its own Safety Score.
    What happens to my Safety Score if I sell my vehicle?
    If the vehicle ownership changes, the Safety Score data previously collected will not be used for the vehicle under the new owner, nor will it be used for a new Tesla vehicle you purchase.

The interesting thing for my experience of requesting for beta access and having a safety score is that I am definitely more conscious of my driving and it does prompt me to think about if I do follow too close. It's an interesting social experiment on what happens when there is incentive to drive more safe. Not sure of long term influences, but it does sure make a lot of drivers go slower. Just some thoughts...