Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Tried deleting the app and reinstalling - nada. When for another drive and waited five minutes to check the app - nada. I'm sticking with my conclusion above for now. Yoker's are out or last, when it comes to getting the actual beta FSD load.
This may be the case. I went out for a 15 mile drive yesterday - no autopilot engaged - came home and through this morning, no data.

This may be the case. I went out for a 15 mile drive yesterday - no autopilot engaged - came home and through this morning, no data.
Do you have good connectivity at home (cellular or wifi)? Also, initially I had to kill the app and then when I re-opened it I saw the Safety Score section.

Another tip for all, if you swipe down on the score screen it will refresh.

Weird question: How do you _get out_ of the pilot? Before I open a door I want to make sure I can close it :)
FSD is beta now. The new program is to download what you have now with more features, which will be added to what you have now over time anyway. Like now, you can turn off FSD beta in the Controls - Autopilot menu. You can still turn off Autopilot beta under the Advanced beta program.

Do you have good connectivity at home (cellular or wifi)? Also, initially I had to kill the app and then when I re-opened it I saw the Safety Score section.

Another tip for all, if you swipe down on the score screen it will refresh.
I finally saw the Safety Score this morning. I had to delete the app, re-pair with the car and voila! It picked up my 20 mile Saturday drive. All good but for one hard-braking incident which I don’t recall having done. I guess the evaluations are pretty strict.

Reactions: Bull
Anyone want to venture any guesses on what kind of safety score will be needed to get into the FSD Beta program?
Considering how sensitive the scoring is, I'm hoping it is 90 and above. I've had two issues where the forward collision warning went off unnecessarily. Huge deduction in score unless you continue driving more miles to outweigh it. What if they say you need 100% because they want to limit the number of users going into the next round? After waiting this entire time for the button, I think people would be pretty upset.

Reactions: gadelrosario
I think the score will vary, as this is another way to limit users for the super-beta release. Tesla likely does not have a score in mind. They will change the score based on the numbers received, and based on how many more installs of the beta they want to release. More installs may be released over time. This is all speculation, as no one knows.

Reactions: jebinc
The andorid app isnt officially on Google Play. You'll have to go to apkmirror and download the app, or just wait a bit. Should be released this week.
I don't really care if I can see the score in the app. My question is am I being scored as the car certainty has all the info it needs and thus Tesla. So is the in app display just for my knowledge or required to get FSD.

I read a score of 80 or above is required.

Anyone want to venture any guesses on what kind of safety score will be needed to get into the FSD Beta program?

We don't know the criteria that Tesla will use to select testers, but my guess is that it will be something like:
  • Everyone with a score between 80 and 92 will be put in the list as a potential tester.
  • That list will then be sorted by a combination of:
    • Average miles driven daily
    • % miles on AP
    • % highway miles
    • % city miles
    • % miles driven at night
    • Geographic location
    • etc.
Then they will pick off the top 100 to get access to the beta and monitor them to see how it goes. If all is well after a couple weeks they will re-do and add a couple hundred more, lather, rinse, repeat.

Note: IMHO: I think they will exclude people with a score above 92 because they know in normal driving you are going to have "events" and it shows they are trying to game the system, and you don't want those kind of people testing your beta software. (Maybe the cut-off will be 95, or 97, but I really think there will be a cut-off.)

Here is the actual info from Tesla. You need to click the further discussion link in the article.

Tesla introduces Safety Score (Beta) system that incentivizes safe driving

We don't know the criteria that Tesla will use to select testers, but my guess is that it will be something like:
  • Everyone with a score between 80 and 92 will be put in the list as a potential tester.
  • That list will then be sorted by a combination of:
    • Average miles driven daily
    • % miles on AP
    • % highway miles
    • % city miles
    • % miles driven at night
    • Geographic location
    • etc.
Then they will pick off the top 100 to get access to the beta and monitor them to see how it goes. If all is well after a couple weeks they will re-do and add a couple hundred more, lather, rinse, repeat.

Note: IMHO: I think they will exclude people with a score above 92 because they know in normal driving you are going to have "events" and it shows they are trying to game the system, and you don't want those kind of people testing your beta software. (Maybe the cut-off will be 95, or 97, but I really think there will be a cut-off.)
Musk never said you would be rated on anything other than Safe Driving as shown on the Safety Score. all the other "sort" items you show do not have anything to do with safe driving. If they are going to admit drivers on other criteria, wouldn't they need to tell us?

Musk never said you would be rated on anything other than Safe Driving as shown on the Safety Score. all the other "sort" items you show do not have anything to do with safe driving. If they are going to admit drivers on other criteria, wouldn't they need to tell us?
No, I don't think they would need to tell you, but they sort of already have:
1632753562508.png

In addition to the "Safety Score" they are going to analyze "your vehicle driving data."

Do you really think they are going to admit a driver that only drives 1 mile a week?

The additional criteria may not have to do with safe driving, but they do have to do with how useful your driving would be to them gathering the data they need.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja and Bull
Considering how sensitive the scoring is, I'm hoping it is 90 and above. I've had two issues where the forward collision warning went off unnecessarily. Huge deduction in score unless you continue driving more miles to outweigh it. What if they say you need 100% because they want to limit the number of users going into the next round? After waiting this entire time for the button, I think people would be pretty upset.
IMHO, it's very likely that the release will be staggered and not binary at some percentage, like 90%. I would hazard to guess that the first week's release (Next weekend) will only include the the top ~1% (98-100%?). If all goes well, the next week will include more. So, this means you could be driving like a 90 year old nanny for a long time, before YOU see the download (if you even want it at that point). Mark this post - time will prove the hypothesis right or wrong!