Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, in terms of getting the new HW3 computer for free if you have FSD, that's confirmed.
  • 27 Dec 2018: Confirmed by Elon here
  • 19 Feb 2019: Confirmed by Elon here at 17:23
  • 11 Mar 2019: Confirmed by Elon here
In addition, Elon said the computer swap will be easy. See the tweet here on 11 Dec 2018.

That part is unknown.
First I agree with that, it has been said multiple times that HW3 would be FREE for people who buy FSD. However, before that he said that if a new computer was needed for FSD it would be free. Again, if needed.

THEN with the introduction of the Model Y Elon said that FSD would be feature complete by the end of this year (2019). Seems like I have heard that before but with earlier dates. My concern is he then said with only SOFTWARE. Was he saying now that they figured out they will not need HW3 to support FSD and therefore no need for a hardware upgrade?

First I agree with that, it has been said multiple times that HW3 would be FREE for people who buy FSD. However, before that he said that if a new computer was needed for FSD it would be free. Again, if needed.

THEN with the introduction of the Model Y Elon said that FSD would be feature complete by the end of this year (2019). Seems like I have heard that before but with earlier dates. My concern is he then said with only SOFTWARE. Was he saying now that they figured out they will not need HW3 to support FSD and therefore no need for a hardware upgrade?
Maybe this helps? I’m still on the fence but the spoiler below is making it easier to make an informed decision.

F815FB32-A15E-450C-940B-54A66FCC4B42.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime and croman
Maybe this helps? I’m still on the fence but the spoiler below is making it easier to make an informed decision.

I agree this has been repeated over and over. My problem is only because of what Elon said on stage at the Model Y reveal. I just do not understand why he made a POINT to say "and only with software". He could have easily just said that FSD will be feature complete at the end of this year. Right?

Anyway, I have a 09/2017 Model S with EAP and FSD at time of purchase. And not sorry about my decision.

Reactions: ironwaffle
I
Have you enabled autopilot in your settings? Since it is Beta, you need to go there, accept it and then turn the features on. If you have dog mode, you have AP software and (assuming AP has been turned on for your car) you should be able to enable autopilot. Autopilot does currently slow down for traffic in front of it and for turns (especially exit ramps/cloverleafs...almost too much at times) and it does take/follow turns on the highway and on roads.
It will not slow and make a 90 degree turn then accelerate like the Mercedes. Tesla should be equal to or better than Mercedes by now.

It is truly astounding that no one has been able to get an answer on that simple a question. How hard is it for Tesla to let people know whether Sentry Mode and Dash Cam are MCU or AP HW based? Can't a journalist with a little clout ask that simple question?

Pretty sure elon confirmed that it is AP based. Nothing to do with MCU. In a tweet he mentioned all “AP2.0+”w ill get sentry mode a while back, if memory serves correct.

What people don’t know at this point is if AP2.0+ = only AP2.5 or if it includes 2.0. Just based off the way he wrote it, it seems like AP2.0 and AP2.5 to me. I would just write 2.5 if I had meant 2.5. My feeling is that it will be a stepwise approach. Just like sentry for S/X is delayed, I’m hoping Sentry mode will hit AP2.0 in near future.

Are you referring to making a turn around a sharp corner on a regular street?
Yes, 90 degree turn, In addition slow to 10 mph to go around a round about. The Mercedes would also read speed limit signs; work zones, school zones. Granted some were based on GPS, but work zone signs were not. I just think Tesla is a little behind. One also has to take into account the Tesla is 1/2 the price of a Mercedes S.

I've clearly not been paying attention. Hadn't realised that the FSD upgrade price for older HW2.5 cars with EAP was time-limited. darn.
It’s really sad(frustrating) for me. I would love to pull the trigger on FSD today for the reduced rate. And I’m guessing many more folks are like me in that regard.
BUT
We all know Tesla is cash strapped and this would help. All they had to do was be a bit more clear on FSD and what’s going to be done. I dont even need the exact “when” just the...if this HWx then this and or we will upgrade to HW3 for exactly which cars if needed. Just clarity from Tesla is all that’s needed to get us to purchase.
Uuhhhggg.

It’s really sad(frustrating) for me. I would love to pull the trigger on FSD today for the reduced rate. And I’m guessing many more folks are like me in that regard.
BUT
We all know Tesla is cash strapped and this would help. All they had to do was be a bit more clear on FSD and what’s going to be done. I dont even need the exact “when” just the...if this HWx then this and or we will upgrade to HW3 for exactly which cars if needed. Just clarity from Tesla is all that’s needed to get us to purchase.
Uuhhhggg.
True. There are people on this forum saying we will get upgraded hardware and full autonomy with fsd, but I know that they can always move the goal post. I don’t see my model 3 being fully autonomous without additional sensors anyway. Their language is imaginative and speculative when they sell fsd. I am worried about the health of the company and find the price swings exhausting. Do I really want to give them $3,000 more?

True. There are people on this forum saying we will get upgraded hardware and full autonomy with fsd, but I know that they can always move the goal post. I don’t see my model 3 being fully autonomous without additional sensors anyway. Their language is imaginative and speculative when they sell fsd. I am worried about the health of the company and find the price swings exhausting. Do I really want to give them $3,000 more?
For me that answer right now has to be no.
I remain optimistic and hopeful that FSD someday will be amazing. But when that day comes and I read all these forum members here raving about how cool it is...........
THEN I will gladly pay the extra money for it and consider it a mid life crisis expense
I’m in deep cash wise for this car I love, and if I have to pay a couple more grand down the road than I otherwise would have for missing this “deal” then so be it.
Like I said if it turns out to be that amazing, it will be easy to justify buying.

Filed a report with the NHTSA concerning the use of Autopilot and changing lanes. Again, today rounding a slight curve in the road, I am in the center lane and selected a lane change to the right lane. The vehicle starts the maneuver, halfway into the lane change it pulls back to the center lane, hesitates momentarily, then executes a right turn and successful lane change. No traffic in sight, 40 MPH. Tried another on the way home and I get the same thing, but this time a vehicle is well behind me. More than likely, they must assumed I was drunk. Also, submitted a report to Tesla. The system is dangerous!

Filed a report with the NHTSA concerning the use of Autopilot and changing lanes. Again, today rounding a slight curve in the road, I am in the center lane and selected a lane change to the right lane. The vehicle starts the maneuver, halfway into the lane change it pulls back to the center lane, hesitates momentarily, then executes a right turn and successful lane change. No traffic in sight, 40 MPH. Tried another on the way home and I get the same thing, but this time a vehicle is well behind me. More than likely, they must assumed I was drunk. Also, submitted a report to Tesla. The system is dangerous!

This is sarcasm, right ?:confused:

Are you on a freeway (protected road) or street roads? 40 MPH sounds like surface roads.

First, if you go on the NHTSA, I am not the first to report. Once again, in the center lane of a three lane road, posted speed limit 40 MPH. The road has a slight curve to the right, initiated a right turn with the turn signal lever fully engaged. Vehicle starts to turn right then half way into the right lane the vehicle returns to the center lane, hesitates then make a successful right turn into the right lane. Execution of lane change should be one continuous turn and not, I'll think about it.