Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New great autopilot feature in 2019.4.3 (for Europe)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I noticed a great new feature (or improvement) in autopilot on v9.0 2019.4.3. Previously when driving on autopilot and driving in the right lane, the car would speed past the left lane if the speed set in autopilot was higher than the current speed. It ignored the speed of the cars in the left lane. Now, the car adjusts it's speed to the speed of the cars in the left lane, making things much safer and more comfortable. This is confirmed by showing the car that is in the left lane as a 'white' car in the center console (autopilot screen), indicating that autopilot indeed is aware of this car and it's speed and it's adjusting accordingly. Very, very nice improvement. I will do some more testing and see if there are more improvements to report on.

Regards,
Vipercat

@BobbyKings, I did not try to override. Will try tomorrow.

@AustinP , I'm on AP2.5 (Model S 75D, 11/2018) and this is a great improvement for Autopilot in Europe. In Europe it's not allowed by law (nor appreciated by other drivers) to overtake via the right lane(s), whereas in the US (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe each lane has it's own speed and everyone adjusts to that behavior. I also noticed that autopilot does overtake when traveling at slower speeds and with lots of other traffic (e.g. traffic jams), so the result is smooth driving in traffic jams (follow the flow) and polite behavior when cruising.

Vipercat

@Phil V , lucky you! This feature was certainly not available on v9. And although I was enthusiastic yesterday I noticed some very annoying behavior today. When in AP and driving in the right lane, at e.g. 110kmph and without any cars in front for more than 200 meters, the car suddenly brakes for 1 second when you're overtaken via the left lane. AP doesn't seem to understand that the car on your left came from behind and is overtaking you instead of being a car that you are overtaking from the right. When driving at the same speed but with a car in front of you, this does not happen and cars on your left are ignored (grey, not white).
I also had a AP warning message (Autosteer has limited features) as of today for which I contacted Tesla Support. They advised me to go to the nearest Service Center on Monday to have this looked at. Hopefully the AP warning message and related error is causing this negative behavior. Otherwise this is not an AP improvement after all.

Vipercat

Very happy with new lane change one tick. The new feature which prevents taking over on the right lane by default is nice when switching lanes back to the right (without sudden acceleration). Override by tapping the pedal works perfect.

The bad is that it brakes sometimes when passing cars on your right when you are on the left lane (hard brake). The other way arround when they pass you from the left when on the right lane also gives some deaccelarations.

It seems it reacts to glitches where cars sometimes are over your lane (which they are not) and brakes pretty hard. Before this .3 you would get a red warning when they come to close or nothing, but now on the slightest it reacts. Hope they resolve this as people behind you are not happy.

• Informative
Reactions: BobbyKings
This feature was certainly not available on v9.
I think there must indeed be something wrong. Indeed in 7.0, if a car came within ‘x’ meter in front of you, the car was breaking in order to get its intended distance back. As from 8.0, it is looking at the relative speed. If a car cuts in before you, but is going faster, nothing happens.
The feature of not passing by the right side was introduced in 8.0 (only forbidden if speed is higher then, I think, 80). As from its introduction, it was possible to overrule by a short tick on the Watt-pedal.