Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks for trying that. Can you take a picture of the connector on both original headlights? I haven’t had any luck finding a picture to compare it with
Someone posted a picture earlier in this thread, please read.

As far as convincing the service tech, they are right saying you didnt pay for it. You bought a car with the regular headlights. If you wanted Matrix lights on a MY you needed to pay the premium for a MYP. You didn't. Tesla does not owe you anything as far as programming goes. It is their right to protect their product by requiring you to pay the premium up front for the parts you want. It is the same with other automakers where if you pass on adding something like Navigation during the options phase of ordering, you can't go back a year later and add it.

thanks for trying that. Can you take a picture of the connector on both original headlights? I haven’t had any luck finding a picture to compare it with
FA9979C9-CFE1-4C20-8F31-C25526436FC0.jpeg

Right side is original, left is matrix
66F74955-C75E-4245-BB8E-B6D9AEDB5272.jpeg

Original plug up close
4A505EF9-FF03-4506-A060-39B5B2227CB5.jpeg

Matrix plug up close

I am also in the process of installing dot matrix lamps in my 19' M3LR my lamps are supposed to arrive Friday (Jan. 9th) and I have a mobile service appt. to replace my front cameras for blooming at night when turn signal is on and to make some other updates to my config. but I'm thinking about swapping the lamps before they arrive and see if they will make necessary changes and/or push the update to my car. My concern is if the update doesn't "activate" the lamps will it forget my OG lamps and will need to perform another software update to reactivate those lamps?

BTW My toolbox subscription expired Dec. 19th it was really only useful for putting the car in service mode and doing tests and such, they don't allow config. changes on public toolbox build which was a huge let down.

I will try and keep everyone up to date with my results but I'm not very optimistic about it working.

I am also in the process of installing dot matrix lamps in my 19' M3LR my lamps are supposed to arrive Friday (Jan. 9th) and I have a mobile service appt. to replace my front cameras for blooming at night when turn signal is on and to make some other updates to my config. but I'm thinking about swapping the lamps before they arrive and see if they will make necessary changes and/or push the update to my car. My concern is if the update doesn't "activate" the lamps will it forget my OG lamps and will need to perform another software update to reactivate those lamps?

BTW My toolbox subscription expired Dec. 19th it was really only useful for putting the car in service mode and doing tests and such, they don't allow config. changes on public toolbox build which was a huge let down.

I will try and keep everyone up to date with my results but I'm not very optimistic about it working.
There is no "software update" for activating non-stock parts. The updates are coded for your car as it left the factory so it will not tell it to look for Matrix lights. It has to be changed in programming by a service tech and even then, sometimes it will revert back with the next update (this happened when door pocket lights were deactivated for SR+ M3 and someone got a tech to reactivate them during service but they went away the next software update).

Being a car driven by software, Tesla doesn't allow people to make changes to anything that is controlled by software. Bolt on all the aero pieces you like, or switch like for like (interior bulbs, filters, speakers) but try to mess with something dealing with programming you are out of luck. These are not tuner cars. At the end of the day, Tesla wants you to pay them a bunch of money and they will control the car for you, you just tell it when and where you want to go. That is their goal. They have no interest in aftermarket. You get what they give you and that is it.

Reactions: Durzel
It be nice if Tesla can offer retrofits for the matrix headlights, Because I been asking this for the new Plaid Model S. At-least the new Model 3 and Y seem to have the matrix headlights. N

ew model S and X refresh so far do NOT have the matrix headlights and yet those are flagship models and refreshed. I am hoping they can retrofit those vehicles once the matrix is in place for the new refresh models.

It be nice if Tesla can offer retrofits for the matrix headlights, Because I been asking this for the new Plaid Model S. At-least the new Model 3 and Y seem to have the matrix headlights. N

ew model S and X refresh so far do NOT have the matrix headlights and yet those are flagship models and refreshed. I am hoping they can retrofit those vehicles once the matrix is in place for the new refresh models.
So you can project TESLA on the wall? That is about the only difference these lights provide now. They don't provide more output (they legally can't in Europe which is why these exist at all). For all the "these are flagship headlight" talk, thy really aren't. Sure they cost more but Tesla is using them as a cost saving factor for Model 3 and only using them as a "premium upgrade" for the MYP. Tesla doesn't sell enough MS/MX to invest in changing those lights. They make way too many MY to switch from lights that are already better than most on the market. And like I just said, Tesla doesn't do the after purchase/aftermarket upgrade game unless the issue relates to the original functionality of the vehicle (MCU upgrades, etc.). Replacing lights that work great is not making sure the care is able to function. You get what you get from the factory, anything after that you are on your own. They will not help you. Their service centers and mobile techs are already booked solid so why would they want to add in unnecessary headlight swaps?

Oh, and those lights aren't legal in the US yet. The bill has been passed to allow them to be legal, but the DOT needs to make its own regulation to make them legal and they have til 2023 to do it. And even then, it just makes them legal, not required. Tesla has proven they don't care about customers over the dollar, just look at how EOQ goes. You really think they will bend over backward to do this?

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
So you can project TESLA on the wall? That is about the only difference these lights provide now. They don't provide more output (they legally can't in Europe which is why these exist at all). For all the "these are flagship headlight" talk, thy really aren't. Sure they cost more but Tesla is using them as a cost saving factor for Model 3 and only using them as a "premium upgrade" for the MYP. Tesla doesn't sell enough MS/MX to invest in changing those lights. They make way too many MY to switch from lights that are already better than most on the market. And like I just said, Tesla doesn't do the after purchase/aftermarket upgrade game unless the issue relates to the original functionality of the vehicle (MCU upgrades, etc.). Replacing lights that work great is not making sure the care is able to function. You get what you get from the factory, anything after that you are on your own. They will not help you. Their service centers and mobile techs are already booked solid so why would they want to add in unnecessary headlight swaps?

Oh, and those lights aren't legal in the US yet. The bill has been passed to allow them to be legal, but the DOT needs to make its own regulation to make them legal and they have til 2023 to do it. And even then, it just makes them legal, not required. Tesla has proven they don't care about customers over the dollar, just look at how EOQ goes. You really think they will bend over backward to do this?

No Not just to project Tesla on the wall. but hoping they are more useful for the night time drive in future with updates. Also The Refresh Model S headlights which are rite now in place did receive poor rating.

Telsa is offering the PWS as a retrofit
This is a 10 second change to a confirmation item, I'm happy to pay for that, fit the lights myself and if they fail pay to have to configuration reverted
What's the most it should cost ?$100?
Because PWS is required by law (for cars after a certain date) so Tesla decide to allow retrofits to all cars that had the wiring harness already installed but not the speaker even though these cars were outside the mandate. Matrix headlights are not only not required by law, they aren’t even legal yet. If they ever become required, then Tesla will maybe do retrofits but they still wouldn't be required.

Because PWS is required by law (for cars after a certain date) so Tesla decide to allow retrofits to all cars that had the wiring harness already installed but not the speaker even though these cars were outside the mandate. Matrix headlights are not only not required by law, they aren’t even legal yet. If they ever become required, then Tesla will maybe do retrofits but they still wouldn't be required.

OK, thanks for confirming my point that Tesla does do retrofits, to add further weight to my position :
I had the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade at cost on my P100D just for a few games
I had the HW2 to HW3- upgrade at Tesla's cost on my P100D for it to attempt to fulfil a commitment

TDLR; Tesla does do retrofits at its choice, it just needs to be compelled to make the choice I want.