Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had service enable my rear fogs. The button is there but I don’t see any change to the lighting in the rear when I enable and doable it
It requires a custom wiring harness and replacement of left inner light with a model y light. Otherwise just the configuration will make your left reverse light into your fog and leave you with just one back up light (the right one)

It requires a custom wiring harness and replacement of left inner light with a model y light. Otherwise just the configuration will make your left reverse light into your fog and leave you with just one back up light (the right one)
Unfortunately it didn’t even do that! I was ok with one reverse and one fog but that didn’t happen either :-/ . I’ll have service change it back. They said it’s a simple toggle switch on their end “installed” or “not installed” for rear fog. I was hoping it would work .. booo

Was able to finally get my matrix headlights on my MYLR thanks to this thread, so thank you guys! They are plug and play as long as you have someone with at least level 3 access to change it. They would just need to change it in the gateway as stated before, and push another update.

The lights are much brighter, but my drivers side headlight is aimed way too high, and I cant adjust it anymore with the "adjust headlights" screen. Tesla mobile guy even said that he can't adjust it anymore and the motor might have busted during shopping. Any other ideas or suggestions before I start cutting into the light?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
So I had a level 3 tech at my place this past weekend and he was willing to make the change but it was grayed out. Can you ask your friend if he did anything different to change that setting?

Reactions: goRt
Is there a diagnostic software besides Toolbox 3 that is used for the gateway? All I can find is hacking documentation using the service port, having the car in service mode, and directly SSH into the car via PuTTy/telnet which gives gateway access.

I would assume there is proprietary software/hardware that does this though; do techs have some sort of enhanced scanner that can update the gateway settings, hence this talk of various pages? Are they using something like the T-DIAG? As I understand it the certificate just needs to be a valid Tesla cert for a connection to be allowed.

Reactions: eesmjus
Is there a diagnostic software besides Toolbox 3 that is used for the gateway? All I can find is hacking documentation using the service port, having the car in service mode, and directly SSH into the car via PuTTy/telnet which gives gateway access.

I would assume there is proprietary software/hardware that does this though; do techs have some sort of enhanced scanner that can update the gateway settings, hence this talk of various pages? Are they using something like the T-DIAG? As I understand it the certificate just needs to be a valid Tesla cert for a connection to be allowed.
I wish there was something that allowed us to make changes that stick. Tdiag is something I came across as well. Not sure if it works. If it does we should all get together and buy it to configure all of our cars.

Reactions: ph0ton
I wish there was something that allowed us to make changes that stick. Tdiag is something I came across as well. Not sure if it works. If it does we should all get together and buy it to configure all of our cars.

No kidding. I am a bit surprised there isn't already a mobile technician service offering this kind of thing; I would assume Ingineerix has one of these but they probably don't have time helping us monkey around with this stuff.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Every time I see an update to this thread I hope it's been solved.

I'll keep waiting

200.gif

Every time I see an update to this thread I hope it's been solved.

I'll keep waiting

View attachment 835518
The problem seems to be getting worse unfortunately. It would seem that even level 3 techs can't make the change anymore. Wtf is Tesla doing? Are they keeping it tightly controlled so they can start monthly subscription to matrix headlights or something?

Reactions: goRt
More of more examples of this in recent years from Tesla. Sadly the headlights on the 3/Y and X/S are nothing to write home about anyway... old gen, new gen, both mediocre and outdated before reaching consumers.

The 3 is in need of a serious 2nd gen replacement instead of the half-&#@ed 2021 refresh. The X/S need replacements too, and the Y is starting to feel dated - will certainly stand out as such if Tesla ever updates their fleet with ground-up 2nd gen cars.

Here is to a 2nd gen 3 (or 1st gen Model 4) within the next 2 years. Else what was special in 2017/2018, and is somewhat relevant in 2022, will simply be very long in the tooth and outdated in 2024/25 - no matter how many screens, or what manufacturing process improvements they keep throwing at these cars.

The problem seems to be getting worse unfortunately. It would seem that even level 3 techs can't make the change anymore. Wtf is Tesla doing? Are they keeping it tightly controlled so they can start monthly subscription to matrix headlights or something?
That is based off of one case, right? I think it would be unlikely there are ssh certs that are tied to specific configurations; just the gateway settings themselves. I definitely could be wrong about that though.

Also, it's not clear but I am pretty sure the T-Diag/Loki tools only work with circa 2020 firmware for the Model 3. They don't really make it transparent what settings are still available to change but I would err on the side of caution. Perhaps that's why we don't have a 3rd party mobile service using these?

That is based off of one case, right? I think it would be unlikely there are ssh certs that are tied to specific configurations; just the gateway settings themselves. I definitely could be wrong about that though.

Also, it's not clear but I am pretty sure the T-Diag/Loki tools only work with circa 2020 firmware for the Model 3. They don't really make it transparent what settings are still available to change but I would err on the side of caution. Perhaps that's why we don't have a 3rd party mobile service using these?
I really hope I am wrong and level 3 techs can still do this.

Reactions: ph0ton
There comes a point where you need to think about cutting your losses and, if it’s that important to you, thinking about selling your car and buying a new one with those headlights (or whatever newer/better part) fitted.

I bought a heated steering wheel for my 2020 M3P, brand new from Tesla for £975. I was convinced it would work, as the connectors were the same. I went on a similar journey where techs tried to get it working, tried to run scripts on my car designed to restore missing functionality, etc. Nothing worked.

Some things you can retrofit, other things - sadly - Tesla (the parts of it you can communicate with) are unable or unwilling to get working on older cars.

Good luck with your journey, but don’t lose sleep over it if you can.

It could because the headlights are mission critical (regulated by federal government), so any firmware updates they do must match the configuration it came from factory (to avoid screwing things up during an OTA). Tesla's OTAs has to work with so many different components each with their own firmware (practically everything has its own microchips these days) they simply don't have the resources to deal with unsupported configurations like people trying to retrofit different parts (they have enough trouble as it is dealing with existing configuration). There are some things they have offered retrofits (like CCS in Europe), but the SCs are so swamped right now, I doubt Tesla wants to support any more unless it was absolutely necessary.

Cars have always been in the domain of aftermarket modifications, and Tesla is not expected to support matrix headlights any more than GM is expected to support superchargers installed by the owner.

People keep talking about gateway configurations like it's the landscape of Android phones but it's not the same at all IMO. Everything in a car is "mission critical" and I don't think we should give Tesla a pass for locking down a trivial aspect of our cars which have been modifiable for decades. The gateway configuration is literally just a text file read by the OS; the implementation of said features are done discretely within components, communicated over CAN. Everything is highly standardized, modularized, and there is absolutely no risk of an OTA update hitting a bad config with factory parts as it currently stands.

That obviously won't last forever but within comparable versions, this will hold true. But in the larger picture, manufacturers will continue advancing this draconian logic, forcing us into obsolescence, if we don't present some friction in these practices.

I think stopcrazypp is right in that the average person should just take the easy route and get a newer car if it matters so much to them. A select few of us who care about the rights of modifying or repairing our property will keep on trying to force the issue, and everyone else will benefit from it. If it's a fight worth picking then good, and if not, then that's also good. :)

Either way, it's nothing to get too upset over. As others have said, the matrix headlights are a marginal improvement at best, and some of the best capabilities (selective dimming, adaptive response to curves, etc) aren't event on the table now. For me it's an exercise in unlocking my car and helping others to do so too by understanding the electronic infrastructure. (it's also really cool)

Reactions: Danny Brown