Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Headliner for Model X - pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alcantara is the biggest joke in automotive interiors. Somehow this fake suede which wears worse than leather, attracts dust and lint like a magnet, and leaves carpet marks every time you touch it, has caught the eye of the younger (possibly millennials) buyers. Ask anyone older than 40 and they'll tell you Alcantara was only found in pimp mobiles.

This and the craze for carbon fiber "look" even though it isn't true carbon fiber has me baffled.

I think it's a blessing if they swapped out Alcantara :p

Alcantara is the biggest joke in automotive interiors. Somehow this fake suede which wears worse than leather, attracts dust and lint like a magnet, and leaves carpet marks every time you touch it, has caught the eye of the younger (possibly millennials) buyers. Ask anyone older than 40 and they'll tell you Alcantara was only found in pimp mobiles.

This and the craze for carbon fiber "look" even though it isn't true carbon fiber has me baffled.

I think it's a blessing if they swapped out Alcantara :p

Hmmm. Interestingly, alcantara was one of the things most people noticed in my previous 2 cars (BMW 650 and Tesla Model S). I guess I will have to tell my over 50 year old friends they are in fact millennial yuppieso_O

I have a 2017 Model S with actual Alcantara and 3 weeks ago took delivery of a 2017 Model X with the premium seats which comes with premium headliner. On the delivery slip, it says "ultra suede headliner." Both are black and they are INDISTINGUISHABLE! Can't tell the difference.

Basically, Alcantara is an expensive BRAND of ultrasuede. Tesla dumped them to source a cheaper but equivalent non-branded ultrasuede. It's great!!!!

I have a 2017 Model S with actual Alcantara and 3 weeks ago took delivery of a 2017 Model X with the premium seats which comes with premium headliner. On the delivery slip, it says "ultra suede headliner." Both are black and they are INDISTINGUISHABLE! Can't tell the difference.

Basically, Alcantara is an expensive BRAND of ultrasuede. Tesla dumped them to source a cheaper but equivalent non-branded ultrasuede. It's great!!!!
Can you take pics and show us? There was mention earlier that what Tesla called "ultra suede" was really just the alcantara, but for whatever reason they changed the wording. Your MX may be a lucky one with the old alcantara/ultrasuede interior, but pics can verify!

Reactions: MelaniainLA

If they are indistinguishable then you have alcantara in both. You don’t have the new textile.

the OP still thinks there is a difference between cheap ultrasuede and expensive sounding alcantara... which goes to show how masterful alcantara marketing has been. THEY ARE THE SAME THING JUST NAMED DIFFERENTLY.

the difference people are complaining about is NOT getting alcantara/ultrasuede at all and getting some kind of cloth material because they have been duped into believing that alcantara is God's gift to automotive interiors... to which i say please read link... doubling down on my first post:

https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garbage-material-for-car-interiors-1733409981

I disagreed with this message not because of your opinion, but because IMO your forward-looking info is wrong.

It sounds like you got the old Alcantara roof in both, not the new weaved cloth (that is the old base headliner, now standard on all Model S/X/3). The new weaved cloth is completely different from Alcantara.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I for one do NOT like whatever headliner upholstery Tesla used with my light interior. It's a nightmare to clean anything off of it and it still shows thereafter. I'd prefer a solid type of material even if it were hard vinyl over what they're currently using.

I disagreed with this message not because of your opinion, but because IMO your forward-looking info is wrong.

It sounds like you got the old Alcantara roof in both, not the new weaved cloth (that is the old base headliner, now standard on all Model S/X/3). The new weaved cloth is completely different from Alcantara.
Correct -- I did not get the woven cloth. When we got early 2017 S, ALL cars had alcantara. Then they switched a couple months later when they got rid of the 60 and the cars with the free textile seats got the cloth headliner. So when I ordered a 2017 X, I made sure to get the premium seats and along with them came the "ultra suede" headliner, which looks and feels identical to alcantara.

IMO that article is wrong.

But the Alcantara quite beside the point for many. Many feel it wrong that Tesla silently removed the high-end headliner and made the old base headliner standard on all cars without letting people know (until they got caught and then spun some pretty hard to believe story from it).

Until they got caught and spun a story?! I haven’t seen any response from Tesla. Care to backup the claim they spun some hard to believe story? I’ve seen no story spun by Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The new textile is the old textile. My AP1 has textile headliner. Early AP2s switched to the alcantra headliner. Tesla must’ve realized their mistake and is going back. ;)

In case you can’t tell, I much prefer the textile headliner.