Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Home Build Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool thank you! I have this same outlet and when I got my vehicle they gave me the 20' cable with the 110 and 240 adaptors in a bundled looking softbox. So it literally looks like those first two sets you shared, combined. I'll inspect my outlet more closely when I get home because if there is a way to get more amps that would be cool...but tbh I don't typically let the batter get so low! So either way I think I am ok :)

Yes, the portable UMC supports multiple plug adaptors.

The only way you are getting more amps is with spending money WC (would get you to 48a if proper wiring is in place) or spending additional money on that corded mobile connector (would get you 40a).

In reality, you are probably fine. I don't drive that much either! I charge two cars with a single WC - every few days.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
I definitely agree with the people who said to put a sub-panel in the garage. Things can change between now and when you need whatever endpoint you need so having a sup-panel allowed you to do whatever you need when the time comes to add charging stations.

@dsm3 I am coming from a different angle. The sub-panel in the garage is an idea, but you will be limited to whatever it is sized for. I am presuming your new home will have 200A metered service panel with distribution (an all-in-one). Another option is to tie your car charging loads directly to the main service panel. Down the road when you get enticed into solar and battery backup, the sub-panel intended dedicated to EV charging may be drop kicked, replaced, and so forth by your solar/battery installer.

When I added a second EV charging system (EVCS), Tesla didn't want to drain the home battery, so they added it to the main panel... the main reason, secondary reason it was a HPWC on a 100A breaker. If I get another HPWC down the road, it needs to share (UL tested by the way) a 100A anyway. The 125A subpanel for EV charging was replaced with a 200A subpanel for battery backup. The existing non-Tesla EVCS stayed where it is and can charge during a power outage.

Sounds like a sub panel is recommended. Install the Eaton BR1224L200R. It's smaller than my previous 125A subpanel that got replaced. If you put this near your service panel, you have paved your way towards a lower cost Powerwall installation in the future. That's if you are okay with a surface mount box on a a new house. Surface mounts are typically remodels. You could find a flush mount and build a soffit around it if you plan to finish your garage walls. This at least gets the option to run wires in the wall or pop surface mounted conduit after your house is done. My contractor buddy always stays in-wall on new home builds. He says conduit is more work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazz_MIII
Yes, the portable UMC supports multiple plug adaptors.

The only way you are getting more amps is with spending money WC (would get you to 48a if proper wiring is in place) or spending additional money on that corded mobile connector (would get you 40a).

In reality, you are probably fine. I don't drive that much either! I charge two cars with a single WC - every few days.

So I checked my input and it is a 240 with a 50 amp max capacity (excuse my lack of electrical lingo) ...so I think I'll just have to charge more frequently when using my setup to avoid charging during non-peak hours...I think we are like-minded in that we charge as needed every few days :D Cheers! -jazz

Hi, this is one of my first questions, I am goin to buy a M3 dual motor, I want to be sure the maximum power this car accept cause people from www.charging-solutions.com say to me this car can charge at a maximum of 22kw in 3phase. is that correct or are there something they don't know, I want to buy a Mennekes Amtron Xtra for home.

A lot of thanks in advance!

Hi, this is one of my first questions, I am goin to buy a M3 dual motor, I want to be sure the maximum power this car accept cause people from www.charging-solutions.com say to me this car can charge at a maximum of 22kw in 3phase. is that correct or are there something they don't know, I want to buy a Mennekes Amtron Xtra for home.

A lot of thanks in advance!
The Model 3 Long Range (including Performance) can use a 22kW EVSE, but it will only draw 11kW. The only Tesla vehicles that can actually charge at 22kW are the pre-facelift Model S with dual chargers. More recent cars are limited to 16.8kW or 11kW. The Model 3 SR/SR+ may be limited to 7.6kW, but we don't know the actual figures yet. That is just based on the US single phase 32A limitation. The European SR/SR+ may be limited to single phase or it may use two or three phases at lower amps. VW e-Golf uses 16A on two of the three phases on a 11kW wallbox to get 7.4kW.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H