Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New homes in England to have electric car chargers by law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that even new houses or flats without off street parking should also require the house builder to provide a charge point in a local street or car park, even if not for exclusive use of that particular household. Over time this would increase the number of public chargers for everyone without off street parking.

I think that even new houses or flats without off street parking should also require the house builder to provide a charge point in a local street or car park, even if not for exclusive use of that particular household. Over time this would increase the number of public chargers for everyone without off street parking.

good point and arguably more important than if the house has a driveway as you can relatively easily fit one yourself later. Much harder to run cabling to a detached parking area. Hopefully they include designated parking spots in the scheme too

Reactions: Adopado
Unless people who actually understand EVs are involved in drawing up the legislation, there will be cheap, low quality & low power chargers installed. The legislation should mandate for 7kW chargers, otherwise 3kW will be the standard and with EVs with larger batteries becoming the norm, will be less useful. Developers have form in terms of lobbying to water down legislation.

This should have been implemented several years ago when it was obvious the shift to electric was needed and would happen over the coming years. I saw a report at the weekend where a councillor has successfully made a developer replace all the chargepoints installed on a new estate. The planning agreement included charge points, but the developer installed Rolec 13A sockets. They are now having to retro-fit EV chargers, but I bet even in this instance they'll try and install the cheaper 3kW ones.

Solar / Wind = battery storage should also become standard fit on new builds. Its so much cheaper to install these during build than retrofitting.

All well and good, but as usual government is going for the 'wow' headline by talking about cars. There is currently no law which requires new homes to have pavements outside them, or cycle storage, or public transport links, or even amenities within walking distance. Whilst I do think cars should be all electric, I also think that there needs to be far fewer cars, and walking from your home should be a basic human right.

good point and arguably more important than if the house has a driveway as you can relatively easily fit one yourself later. Much harder to run cabling to a detached parking area. Hopefully they include designated parking spots in the scheme too
Yes you’re right, this is a good point.

Housing developers are already required by local authorities to invest in surrounding amenities like playgrounds, parks etc as part of Sec 106 agreements. You could see EV street-level charging becoming part of these requirements in the future.

The legislation should mandate for 7kW chargers, otherwise 3kW will be the standard and with EVs with larger batteries becoming the norm, will be less useful.
I've been driving my Model 3 for nearly two years now. Not once have 3 kW not sufficed.

Battery size has very little to do with this. Instead it depends on how far you drive every day. Cars drive only short distances, with few exceptions.

Reactions: adsheff and Zakalwe
All well and good, but as usual government is going for the 'wow' headline by talking about cars. There is currently no law which requires new homes to have pavements outside them, or cycle storage, or public transport links, or even amenities within walking distance. Whilst I do think cars should be all electric, I also think that there needs to be far fewer cars, and walking from your home should be a basic human right.

Prince Charles got a lot of stick for the planned town of Poundbury but if you set aside the ersatz architecture choices and you look at the plan as a whole there were a lot of things going in the right direction ... including all of your points. I had occasion to visit someone there last summer and I was fully prepared to join in with the mickey taking but ended up being won over. They will be playing catchup on the electric car charging aspects of course...though there was a rapid in the middle of town which actually worked!

Reactions: adsheff
I've been driving my Model 3 for nearly two years now. Not once have 3 kW not sufficed.

Battery size has very little to do with this. Instead it depends on how far you drive every day. Cars drive only short distances, with few exceptions.

Your last sentence has become the accepted view that we tend to propagate in the EV community, but we also have to acknowledge that there can be a problem with this thinking. It comes from the notion of averages. Based on averages the last sentence is true ... but counter-intuitively it tends to be the case that relatively few people fit the "average". We ALL have exceptions and we need to spend more time thinking how we can avoid those exceptions becoming deal-breakers for potential future EV owners. For example I'm sure we all have relatives living somewhere that is just out of range and in a sticky location for charging. Add up the handful of these exceptions that apply for each person and they soon start questioning whether an EV is feasible for their lifestyle. More charging options in as many locations as possible is a big part of the answer, with new-builds being (a small) part of the solution.

Prince Charles got a lot of stick for the planned town of Poundbury but if you set aside the ersatz architecture choices and you look at the plan as a whole there were a lot of things going in the right direction ... including all of your points. I had occasion to visit someone there last summer and I was fully prepared to join in with the mickey taking but ended up being won over. They will be playing catchup on the electric car charging aspects of course...though there was a rapid in the middle of town which actually worked!
The architecture is a personal preference, what matters is the overall design and layout - and Poundbury certainly seems better than nearly all modern housing developments.

Anyone who complains about traffic should be advocating developments like this - the more local journeys that can be made without cars, the clearer the roads will be for those who need them.

I'm on a 4 hour a night cheap tarriff, I get 40% per night currently with 7kw, obviously lower power means I will have to charge more often outside the cheap rate.

I was on a long trip yesterday, home with 25% and it's taking 2 nights to get me back up to 80% on the cheap rate.

The government should want us all charging in the middle of the night, the higher power chargers will give more flexibility to that. (I used the 13 amp one for a few months, and while I got by it's not nearly as convenient as a "proper" home charger.

About time... as has been said, they should be mandating anything they suggest/incentivise, whether that's solar, wind, heat pumps etc. But then we've seen the lobbying with the Gas Boilers being excluded from a ban at the last minute. Clearly the developers don't want to do any more than they have to, nor absorb/risk any extra cost. But as said, it's cheaper and easier to do all this at build, and we really need this done to as many homes as possible, so why not start with the ones the government has control over.

I'm cynical though, I fully expect there to be loopholes, and the developers to make the most of them. Just watch, it won't apply to communal parking, and that's all there'll be on new developments.

I'm on a 4 hour a night cheap tarriff, I get 40% per night currently with 7kw, obviously lower power means I will have to charge more often outside the cheap rate.

I was on a long trip yesterday, home with 25% and it's taking 2 nights to get me back up to 80% on the cheap rate.

The government should want us all charging in the middle of the night, the higher power chargers will give more flexibility to that. (I used the 13 amp one for a few months, and while I got by it's not nearly as convenient as a "proper" home charger.
I returned from my daughters yesterday which I do every few weeks, a 270 mile round trip without any running about.
Did a few miles with a visit to a local hostelry to celebrate a birthday & managed to arrive home with 3% after starting the weekend with 100%. 282 miles in total, averaging 62mph on the toll & M40/M4 etc.
This trip by train would involve 3 trains each direction & a cab at both ends, so certainly a no no for me.

Some more info here

Basically the builder will have to pay for not just the charger on the house, but large scale infrastructure upgrades to support all the extra power needed. Then the power companies get all the new income for no effort as people switch to electric cars, actually does sound a bit unfair to me.

Builders slam plans for electric car chargers in all new homes

Since when did builders/developers forget how to set prices for their properties such that they make a profit? All their costs are ultimately paid by the house purchasers! On a per/house basis it should not be a huge amount. It's reasonable to suggest the electricity companies also do their bit but the implication here is that anything spent on charging infrastructure will be expected to be provided out of the generosity of the builders!

Reactions: KJD
Since when did builders/developers forget how to set prices for their properties such that they make a profit? All their costs are ultimately paid by the house purchasers! On a per/house basis it should not be a huge amount. It's reasonable to suggest the electricity companies also do their bit but the implication here is that anything spent on charging infrastructure will be expected to be provided out of the generosity of the builders!
You're right, they'll be unhappy as increased prices = less sales, I just think the power companies should be doing some of the investment too if they are going to get the rewards.

Ultimately we as the buyers/tax payers end up paying anyways, I guess working out the lowest cost method for consumers would be key (so pretty sure we'll end up with the opposite :))

Good in theory but new home builders are only interested in one thing… their bottom line! This means that the absolute basic of car chargers will be fitted in most if not all cases. These chargers will provide you with little capability beyond that of using a normal 3 pin socket.

We had our new build complete last Oct. The car charger fitted will be used for nothing more than outdoor xmas lights 🤣

Fortunately had a proper charger fitted last week 🙄