Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Iphone 12 Pro Max In Case Not Charging On Wireless Tesla Pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been posted or anyone else has this issue as well. The brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max in an Otterbox case (supposed to work with a wireless charger) and it's not charging in our new Model Y. I did a quick Google search and someone said the phone has to be placed in an exact position on the charging pad. I moved it all around, on the left and right side of the charging pad. Nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Purchased this case today...it worked in my Y and in my 3...all is great. Apple MagSafe clear case. 20201202_202150.jpg 20201202_202158.jpg

Really? I have the same phone and case and it will not charge in my MY. Strange...
When I was 3d printing that spacer to fix this (see the other threads) I found that the tolerance here is very, very tight. Fractions of a mm make the difference between working and not working. That case has mixed reports. You might try removing the lip and reinstalling it to see if that helps (it just slides off towards the drivers side).

Reactions: Srad600Volt
When I was 3d printing that spacer to fix this (see the other threads) I found that the tolerance here is very, very tight. Fractions of a mm make the difference between working and not working. That case has mixed reports. You might try removing the lip and reinstalling it to see if that helps (it just slides off towards the drivers side).
I will definitely try that, thanks.

Is there any way to swap out the charging pad with a MagSafe one? This would click the phone into the exact correct position..
Given magsafe isn't strong enough to hold a phone in a moving car, it actually just makes positioning the puck really hard. But the whole charging panel comes out and can be replaced. Someone could theoretically make a magsafe one.

I also saw a post in one of these threads where they just glued a magsafe puck to the existing charger.

Great tip Gizmotoy! This worked.

I wonder if they changed something in the car's charging pad. My VIN is 60,3XX (barely a 2021 model). What is your VIN, just curious?
I have a 2020, but Gizmotoy was right, all I needed to do was move the little spacer about 1/16" of an inch and my phone slid down by that same amount and started charging just fine (in the case).

• Love
Reactions: Gizmotoy
Given magsafe isn't strong enough to hold a phone in a moving car, it actually just makes positioning the puck really hard. But the whole charging panel comes out and can be replaced. Someone could theoretically make a magsafe one.

I also saw a post in one of these threads where they just glued a magsafe puck to the existing charger.
That was me who used double-sided tape to put a MagSafe charging puck on top of the wireless charging pad. I ran the cable to the USB-C port after unplugging the wireless unit. It works great and have not experienced any issues with the phone moving while driving.

Attachments

• 39FAD789-3941-465D-A3E0-A7A5B0C684ED.jpeg
    39FAD789-3941-465D-A3E0-A7A5B0C684ED.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: Gizmotoy