Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jalopnik hit piece? Fair and balanced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only 53 processors? My 2006 Prius as about that many and I have never had a problem with any of them. Automotive hardware tends to be a lot more robust than standard consumer hardware since it must be designed with extended temperatures and longevity in mind. The only issues I have had with my Prius have been mechanical in nature, and the Tesla model S is much simpler in that regard.

It seems my quotes were used in this article as well. Here's the comment I posted on the article:

Patrick, it is great that you have taken the time to pull old quotes from Model S owners discussing issues with their vehicles to generate traffic for your website. As Elon indicated to you, may of theses issues have since been resolved and acknowledged as fixed some time ago by many of the same people you quoted, myself included.

Now, why don't you take the time to pull quotes from TMC where owners regularly and routinely praise their cars, and do an article on that? You can start with my initial writeup where I conclude the Tesla Model S is "the best car I've ever owned". Oh, nevermind, I forgot this is Jalponik and an article that sings the praises of Tesla probably won't appeal to your readers.

PureAmps

Today is my final day to Finalize with 2012 pricing and to be honest, this article is giving me pause. Now I'm a technologist and TSLA fanboy but this really is making me wonder if waiting a year for all these issues to be resolved would be the prudent move rather than being a "field Beta tester"?

In a word, yes, if you're in cold weather, or you're really concerned about vampire load.

None of the other issues mentioned are common -- and I've had similar and worse bizarre issues in ICE cars. Did I tell you about the Audis which acted haunted when it was foggy? The headlight switch operated the wipers, the wiper switch unlocked the doors, etc.....)

Now, I am in cold weather. I, however, have been spending what seems like half my time lately taking 10-year-old cars in and out of various repair shops and really can't wait any longer. One car broke while driving back from dropping another car off at the shop. Aaargh. Worse, we've had to switch repair shops repeatedly due to incompetence (This is actually the reason why I'm comfortable buying Tesla without a local service center; I don't feel like I have a functional local service center for ANY car here!)

A beta test is a hell of a lot better than unreliable 10-year-old cars with hard-to-diagnose problems.

By the old 1970s standards of beta testing (high standards), I would say Model S is actually beta quality. Beta testing is supposed to be catching weird and obscure bugs. But most released software for decades has been alpha-quality or worse, full of not-at-all-obscure bugs. :mad: (This was discussed in computer magazines around the time the quality started dropping.) And for comparison, I'd say 1980s Ford and GM cars were consistently alpha quality. Heck, I'd say every Audi I've ever driven has been beta quality. Some 1980s Toyotas had consistently spectactular quality ("buy, don't call the service center for 10 years") and might qualify as release-worthy by 1970s computer standards, but that's *abnormal*.

EDIT: of course, if this Patrick guy quotes me, he'll probably take the quote out of context. :rolls eyes: Patrick, don't do that! In context, I'm saying "Tesla's better than average"!

I'm not sure how I feel about Jalopnik just cut and pasting our comments from this site like that.
I'm not a social media expert, but isn't there some sort of copyright issue here? We may have no rights to our comments but I would think this site does and I doubt "teslamotorsclub" gave them permission to publish not just the comments but an exact digital photo of the sites webpage.

Frankly, I'm just getting sick of Jalopnik and all the haters. Everyone wants to talk for the sake of talking whether or not they have anything constructive to add to the conversation. As Mark Twain once said "don't speak unless you can improve on silence"

Well, they quoted me and I prepared a reply, but I'm on my phone and despite creating an account and attempting to log in repeatedly, I can't post my reply and there doesn't seem to be any way to exit the mobile interface. Here's the reply I prepared:

Hi, I'm Sig698, and was quoted in the above article regarding the door handles. While I did have some frustrating teething pains with the car (I received mine in October last year and was one of the earlier arrivals), I'm happy to say that Tesla has successfully restored my position as cheerleader for the company. They have very clearly taken any issues with the car extremely seriously and communication within the company and to their customers has become immeasurably better.

Tesla replaced my problematic door handle and adjusted the door itself, and it has been working flawlessly since. I am now on the most current firmware and it has been very stable.

It's natural that there are some issues with the first full car produced by a new company, but Tesla's customer service has been nothing short of fantastic and they truly go out of their way to make things right when there is an issue. I would gladly go through the experience all over again and am extremely happy with my Model S.

I got quoted in the Jalopnik piece, too, and I'm not happy about it. Cherry picking, that's all it is. I've made over 300 posts since taking delivery of my S in September, and probably 90% don't mention any glitches. And I don't complain about the glitches, I just post 'em here for the benefit of other owners and in the hopes that somebody will be able to point me in the direction of a fix or a workaround while TM continues to improve an already fantastic product.

I love my S, and nobody can take that away from me. Or take the credit away from Tesla for what they've accomplished, against long odds.

I've just commented on the article, it wasn't easy to to (eventually had to switch to Chrome for the Twitter authentication to work). It's a very selective article, cheap journalism. In some ways I resent generating traffic to the site, but my need to balance the article won over.

I decided not to let it go. Here's what I wrote in the Comments:

"I'm one of the Model S owners ('stevezzzz') you quoted in this piece. I'd rather you had contacted me directly to get a more complete picture of my ownership experience, because I would have told you that despite the glitches I've experienced (and there have been a handful of others in 4-1/2 months of ownership) the overall impression the Model S gives me is that it's the best automobile I've ever owned: hands down, not even close. Besides being a fantastic driver's car (mine is an early Signature model with the largest battery, but not the performance package), it's roomy, comfortable, wonderfully quiet in the cabin, with supremely composed handling. Not to mention that the support Tesla offers is world class. Just one example: in my first week of ownership I called in an error code (the car was driving normally) to the factory Ownership Experience team just before I went out of town for a few days. Tesla decided they wanted to investigate, so they took the car to the local service center, diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and returned the Model S to my garage in my absence. The car was waiting in my garage, plugged in, with a full charge, when I returned home.

"So, yes, I love my Model S. Immoderately. I can't imagine going back to driving a gas-burning vehicle, not without putting up a hell of a fight."

Hey Jalopnik, NYT and any other journalist out there: Quote this:

"I love my Tesla Model S and I love the company that makes it and I love the service they provide and I would buy it again in a heartbeat."

Please Please quote that next time you write about Tesla!!!!!