TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by patp, Dec 11, 2015.

1. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

I had my battery heated while charging at the Supercharger and after that the battery was being heated without having to drive around. Because the dragstrip was busy I had to wait one hour between runs and yes the % went down with time but not as much if you were driving around. I did not notice any slip as the track was sticky. I believe you have 4 seconds after you initiate launch to press the accelerator down and then you must release the brake within 4 seconds to launch.

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

and to be perfectly clear on the sequence for those trying this out-

.stopped with wheels perfectly straight
    .press brake with left foot hard and hold down hard
    .quickly and smoothly cycle the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and release using your right foot (while continuing to hold the brake firmly down with your left)
    You should see launch mode enabled on your dash (not center screen)
    .press accelerator to the floor with your right foot and hold it there
    You should feel the car squeak and groan a little bit as the motors "load up" against the drive line
    .side step the brake within four seconds and the car will launch else it will timeout and disengage launch mode

3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Don't forget "enable Max Battery Power" first and foremost!

4. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

And the ambient temperature must be above some arbitrary value (37 degrees F?)

5. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Yes. Seems like the standard temperature where you get a black ice warning.

6. Bill D

Bill D Member

I noticed there's two different time-outs while holding the brake for Launch Mode. After you first press and release the accelerator, the "Launch Mode Enabled" message comes on and stays on for 10 seconds. If you depress the accelerator the second time before the 10 seconds expire, it will stay on and the car will squat for 4 seconds. If the 10 seconds expires before you depress the accelerator the second time, you'll get the "Both Pedals Pressed" message and no launch mode.

7. XxMFxX

XxMFxX Member

hello guys

just wondering did any p85d or p90d outside north america with 7.1 was able to enable launch mode?

8. lolachampcar

attachment.php
    for those interested in the data behind launch mode

9. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

You've hit traction control, if it wasn't obvious.

10. rns-e

rns-e Member

Yes

11. XxMFxX

XxMFxX Member

thank you

also checked today in my car and it worked

12. silverp85+

silverp85+ Member

it would be a shame if this was not added to the p85+ or any p85 for that matter because they need it badly.

13. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Member

Yes.. Please....

14. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

I went to the 1/4 mile dragstrip in Fontana, CA yesterday and alternated every run (8 total) between Launch mode on and off. There were no differences between the two except I get much better reaction times by just pressing the accelerator quickly. But my best time was the first run with launch mode but probably because the battery was at its highest level of charge.

15. lolachampcar

Several have done back to back multiple runs with data and it shows no difference between fast foot and Launch Mode.

16. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Still waiting for someone else to repro but slip start with fast foot seems the fastest for me. You can't use slip start with launch mode.

17. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

Also, at the risk of sounding waaaaay too obvious, make sure your car is not in Hill Hold when you launch if you are not using launch mode.