Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New long-range BEV Volkswagen to debut at Paris Motor Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the article; didn't see anything about long-range travel / charging network.
GM appears to be counting on VW to pay for the CCS charging network with their Dieselgate fines:

Charging Coalition Asks Feds for Fair Treatment As $2 Billion VW Settlement Unfolds - HybridCars.com

Audi (VW group) is already working on a plan for 175 charging sites over the next two years along interstate corridors similar to Tesla's Supercharger network. The federal government is also getting state and local agreement on a national map of preferred charging corridors over the next year. In the meantime, there are already DC charging locations up and down the east and west coast.

Clearly Tesla is way ahead, but remember that the Model S went on sale with hardly any DC charging locations. Between VW and other private interests and government agency efforts it is possible for CCS to fill in reasonably fast in the couple of years also.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Just remember that maybe the css network will work for the US payed by this dieselgate fines, but not in europe ( were they sell lots of car ) since here, as far as i know, they don't have fee to pay, just some stupid upgrade to the firmware

Reactions: GSP
the Model S went on sale with hardly any DC charging locations

I wasn't following Tesla then, but wasn't that pretty much limited to CA? Feels more like VW would have to roll out a new model worldwide, rather than having the benefit of a small region to try out in, and thus restricted area for charging infrastructure.

Perhaps 300 km + Chademo or Type-2 charger is "good enough" in VW's eyes?

It is great to see the extensive Chademo coverage in the UK, and how quickly it was installed.

The problem in the US is that there are vast areas with no Chademo or CCS chargers, except for inside large cities that are hundreds of miles apart. Counting on VW to install fast charge networks along our highways does not seem like the best plan to me. I am very disappointed that GM, Ford, and FCA have zero plans to support long distance electric charging networks.

At least we have one US automaker working on it. I will be voting for that automaker with my wallet, and not wasting any funds on the others.

GSP

GM appears to be counting on VW to pay for the CCS charging network with their Dieselgate fines:

Charging Coalition Asks Feds for Fair Treatment As $2 Billion VW Settlement Unfolds - HybridCars.com

Audi (VW group) is already working on a plan for 175 charging sites over the next two years along interstate corridors similar to Tesla's Supercharger network. The federal government is also getting state and local agreement on a national map of preferred charging corridors over the next year. In the meantime, there are already DC charging locations up and down the east and west coast.

Clearly Tesla is way ahead, but remember that the Model S went on sale with hardly any DC charging locations. Between VW and other private interests and government agency efforts it is possible for CCS to fill in reasonably fast in the couple of years also.

Hi, @JeffN,

Thanks for the pointer to the article.

I don't see anything in the article about GM; are you simply conjecturing GM's reliance on how VW's fine turns into charging stations?

As for Audi/VW and 175 charging sites over the next two years... first, I don't see anything in the article about that, I think you're relying on other knowledge. And second, I wonder how capable those charging stations will be and if there really are 175 of them in the plan or some smaller number of stations that have multiple chargers that are being counted in that 175. And third, I'm still really angry at VW/Audi and Dieselgate, which has nothing to do directly with this discussion other than increasing my already-large skepticism about anything VW group says. And fourth, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

If I look past my cynicism, I see that you make reasonable points. I'll try to be hopeful. But I am ever thankful that Tesla took this job upon itself and didn't wait for or rely on third parties, state governments, federal government, other automobile manufacturers or consortia. And the result is the highest-speed, best-maintained, highest-functioning charging network across the USA and maybe arguably across the world.

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: Jeff N

Audi (VW group) is already working on a plan for 175 charging sites over the next two years along interstate corridors similar to Tesla's Supercharger network.

Well, lets hope the CCS chargers are easily upgrade-able, because the "current" stations aren't going to be much help. Unless they've announced installing ~150kW capable stations, but I'm only familiar with "experimental" CCS stations of that output.

No, it went on sale not only with no DC charging stations at all, but no promise that there would ever be any. Superchargers came later.
The first few Model S car were delivered in June 2012 and general deliveries began in the early fall. The official announcement about the installation of the first few Supercharging stations was in late September 2012. However, the general idea and plan was known at least by October, 2011 when this news report was written:

BREAKING: Tesla Making Faster 2012 Model S, 0-60 In Under 4.5 Seconds

When the batteries are depleted, Tesla says even the 300-mile range Model S will be able to recharge from empty to full in under an hour thanks to its new direct current external charger. The 90 kilowatt units will be installed by Tesla at suitable rest-stop locations or hotels alongside arterial freeways such as I-5 between Canada and Mexico.

Well, lets hope the CCS chargers are easily upgrade-able, because the "current" stations aren't going to be much help. Unless they've announced installing ~150kW capable stations, but I'm only familiar with "experimental" CCS stations of that output.
Charging infrastructure companies in a couple of European countries have already announced plans to roll them out. The standards process is on track to complete within the next year or so for both CHAdeMO and CCS.

For example:

Switzerland is getting a new fast-charging network worthy of the Tesla Supercharger: 150kW chargers at 100 sites

I wasn't following Tesla then, but wasn't that pretty much limited to CA? Feels more like VW would have to roll out a new model worldwide, rather than having the benefit of a small region to try out in, and thus restricted area for charging infrastructure.

Perhaps 300 km + Chademo or Type-2 charger is "good enough" in VW's eyes?
Tesla installed their first few stations in California but they were clear early on that they intended to quickly roll out a nationwide network within a couple of years and then internationally beyond that.

Reactions: WannabeOwner