TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Loud Bearing Noise from A/C

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Muzzman1, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Has anyone come across the bearing noise I tried to record on this video?
    It's not the normal compressor or fan sound, it's a "bad bearing" noise. It's coming from the compressor area, not within the passenger area.
    Dropbox - hvac noise.m4v

I'm callin the SC now.

2. markn455

markn455 Member

Not really hearing anything abnormal in the video. I have a MS so it may be different in a MX?

3. Zesty

Zesty Member

Yes, I believe I've had this same noise issue. I noticed the noise when releasing the brake pedal. I wasn't sure if it was an HVAC issue or a regenerative braking, but I haven't heard the noise recently. Then again the SC has worked on the X quite a bit since then, so maybe something was updated/tweaked/repaired.

Tesla HVAC Noise link

4. markn455

markn455 Member

Wow, I could definitely hear it on your video. That does not sound normal or acceptable.

5. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

YES! That's the exact sound. Do you have logs on the work that's been done HVAC related I can pass on to my SC?

6. Zesty

Zesty Member

I just reviewed my service logs and there was never a noted "fix" or "repair" regarding the HVAC. I never took it into the SC specifically for the noise and fortunately I haven't heard it recently.

7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Yup, I got that

8. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

It's a new "buzz" above the compressor and the crazy fans. (that you heard back from EM on)
    You have it too?

9. K-MTG

I hear it when I go over speed bumps, pull into and out of driveway. Like a rumbling noise but I also hear it when the AC is off

10. joebob73

joebob73 Member

I hear that same noise too. I only hear mine when the A/C is on and it occurs regardless if I am driving or stopped. I have an appointment this Friday for a laundry list of items and will report back on what they find on this issue.

11. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Any resolution? Mine is in for similar issue. They can't find the problem cuz they said they can't reproduce it. But it happens all the time. Closest I found was this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1640312/

I went to pick up,yesterday and they said they did just get a new svc bulletin that might be the issue, so I told them to keep it and address the bulletin and hope it solves it.

12. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Yes, so mine ended up failing only a few days later. The car is at the Service center. I don't know exactly all that has been done to repair it yet.
    Here's another thread I started related to this:
    HVAC became inoperable today!

13. joebob73

joebob73 Member

Got my X back today and they checked the service bulletin and said that my car was not in the VIN range affected. My VIN is 1984 which is close to some of the other VIN's who have had the crossed condenser lines. Either they did not check the bulletin and are blowing smoke, or the affected X's are not exactly in sequential order. Tech stated that my car was cooling well too. They were also unable to replicate any bearing noises. I'll continue monitoring this, but no big resolution yet.

14. K-MTG

Is yours loud? I wonder what the range is

15. joebob73

joebob73 Member

Yes, noise is still crazy loud. When I am at a steady cruise on the freeway, I am about 320-340 Wh/mile. Short 5-10 mile trips average around 400-450 Wh/mile though.

16. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Check out FoxXxy's post about this in another thread:

While the noise you're hearing is a lot worse than mine, it still sounds like the same thing. Your high pressure A/C lines are crossed. No doubt about it. Show your SC rep FoxXy's post and insist they check those lines.