Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW M3 showing only 310 vs 322

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They really shouldn’t advertise 322 if not a single car will display that range.
The 322 is based on the EPA cycle where they run the battery until it shuts down during a test program. There is evidence that it will run below 0 depending on usage. Trying to accurately depict miles remaining is not trivial on an EV like it is on an ICE so Tesla has gotten a little more conservative with the display. This doesn’t mean you couldn’t replicate the EPA test if you wanted to see if you can really get 322. The remaining figure also appears to be impacted by charging habits independent of the actual battery health.

Along the same lines, I got my stealth model 3 two weeks ago and my 100% went from 310 to 299 after the Christmas update. Is that expected degradation?

That was your Christmas gift from Tesla!

Seriously, hard to say why yours is low. There is a distribution of results and yours seems to be on the low side.

I wouldn’t worry about it - your battery is just doing worst than most, but it likely has nothing to do with anything you have done.

It is possible the energy estimate is wrong, but most likely you do have less capacity than most similar vehicles.

There is nothing to be done except drive the car and enjoy it. Even on road trips except for the initial leg it is rare to charge above 280 miles so you can still get that (will just take slightly longer).

The 322 is based on the EPA cycle where they run the battery until it shuts down during a test program. There is evidence that it will run below 0 depending on usage. Trying to accurately depict miles remaining is not trivial on an EV like it is on an ICE so Tesla has gotten a little more conservative with the display. This doesn’t mean you couldn’t replicate the EPA test if you wanted to see if you can really get 322. The remaining figure also appears to be impacted by charging habits independent of the actual battery health.
I understand that but that’s always been the case even when they advertised 310. Why did they change the advertised range if there wasn’t an actual increase?

Thanks all for all your inputs. @jdcollins5 - I dont believe Tesla makes LR RWD anymore the long range is only available with dual motor and they are advertising as 322.

Sorry. You are correct. My range miles went up to about 321 miles after the update to increase it. Since then it has slowly decreased after further updates and is now back down to 310. I am also not sure why they continue to advertise 322.

Along the same lines, I got my stealth model 3 two weeks ago and my 100% went from 310 to 299 after the Christmas update. Is that expected degradation?

Try draining the battery down to 5-10% then charging once back up to 100%. I had a service tech tell me sometimes the computer has trouble estimating the battery capacity and that helps reset its logic to figure it out.

I have Model 3 Performance 20" and I am still learning. I had 278 after 90% charge, drove 20 aversge miles, and showed 248 on arrival which seems acceptable. I then woke up next day after car sat in in-laws drive so no charger and now it shows 228 range. Temp outside between 9 and 10 degrees Celsius day and the night. That seems odd 50 miles loss after 20 mile drive. Time will tell but what I know about Tesla is it will come out in the wash and everything is fine. The main issue is that the number normal non geek buyers coming to the Tesla market is high and they expect German like constants.

Any light on my issue greatly revived but I am sure it is fine as Tesla sorts most things in time and I got EV to help the air quality

I have Model 3 Performance 20" and I am still learning. I had 278 after 90% charge, drove 20 aversge miles, and showed 248 on arrival which seems acceptable. I then woke up next day after car sat in in-laws drive so no charger and now it shows 228 range. Temp outside between 9 and 10 degrees Celsius day and the night. That seems odd 50 miles loss after 20 mile drive. Time will tell but what I know about Tesla is it will come out in the wash and everything is fine. The main issue is that the number normal non geek buyers coming to the Tesla market is high and they expect German like constants.

Any light on my issue greatly revived but I am sure it is fine as Tesla sorts most things in time and I got EV to help the air quality

did you have sentry mode enabled? That will drain 1-2 miles an hour worth of battery. So a 10 hour park - will be about 20 miles on range because they car will never fall asleep.... it's "watching" for you. As for you "using" 30 miles for a 20 miles drive - a lot of factors goes into that. Did you have any FAST accelerations? High Speeds? Was the car pre-conditioned before you left (if not, it will take battery energy to heat of the battery pack -- you can tell this by looking to see if there are dots on the left side of the live power bar - top left).

did you have sentry mode enabled? That will drain 1-2 miles an hour worth of battery. So a 10 hour park - will be about 20 miles on range because they car will never fall asleep.... it's "watching" for you. As for you "using" 30 miles for a 20 miles drive - a lot of factors goes into that. Did you have any FAST accelerations? High Speeds? Was the car pre-conditioned before you left (if not, it will take battery energy to heat of the battery pack -- you can tell this by looking to see if there are dots on the left side of the live power bar - top left).
Thank you, very helpful. I suspect all the areas you suggest must have made an impact on the range. I will test without some on and look for dots.

Do you know how to change the range to percentage?