Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 USB ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if this is a daft question - can the front new USB-C be used with a USB-C hub in-line to handle both the factory wireless charging and data for a USB-C sentry hard drive ?

Yes, even with an "unpowered" hub in this case (teslas usb c power delivery). Beyond that what you said its a grey area since there is not a standard for usb c power delivery (they dont all deliver the same amps mainly).

HTH

ok, so to clarify, are folks likely to hit issues if they try to piggy-back data through USB-C hub, I don't see a power problem - am interested in whether the car will allow access to Sentry files through USB-C as data, via a hub.

This would allow USB-C to be used for both Sentry and wireless charging in the front, leaving a front USB-A for older devices.

So i've got a USB A Micro SD reader for the A port to use as sentry/dashcam and the front C port has the two wireless points.
For the rear if needed i've got myself a USB C cable for emergency charging the ipad and possibly macbook and a USB C to Lightning cable for any iphone rear passengers, nice!

I'm so excited to get this car 1st Sept! I got a decent quality multi use USB-C to 5 different cables to ensure I'm covered for those crazy people on android ;) and also for mac/ipad when camping in the back as i figure those sockets will become 'bedside sockets' !

I'm so excited to get this car 1st Sept! I got a decent quality multi use USB-C to 5 different cables to ensure I'm covered for those crazy people on android ;) and also for mac/ipad when camping in the back as i figure those sockets will become 'bedside sockets' !

I'm intrigued on the camping out... what are you planning, something like seats down and a Thermarest, or something more substantial?

I'm intrigued on the camping out... what are you planning, something like seats down and a Thermarest, or something more substantial?

Ohhhh.... so I’ve researched this extensively!! The US Tesla bed is fairly chunky blocks of memory foam that take up a lot of space & mega bucks plus import taxes and who knows the delivery time so:

1) I’ll be alone & I’m only 5ft 4 = plenty of space and I can go a bit diagonally if need to
2) I bought a double self inflating mattress With top layer of memory foam from amazon only Max 5cm thick (too thick an air bed and the boot shelf is restrictive on legs)
3) double sleeping bag for coziness but it also converts to a single if I need (and duvets are too thick in ppls videos)
4) taking proper pillows because I’ll camp in my car... but not on a blow up air pillow!

apparently the seats don’t go fully flat so head/shoulders slightly raised but I’ll cope with that.

It’s 2 nights in my mums drive to start off with anyway. (She is 74 and shielding and I’m being careful so probs fine, but she’s the only mum I have so not risking anything - plus I want my money’s worth out of this Tesla ;) - and quite excited!

There you go folks. Save money on housing - forget the property ladder - just buy a model 3 and camp at yer mum’s on the front drive.

Love it :cool:

no stamp duty and Tesla are charging the car up for me in Edin then I’ll use mothers electricity for the drive back to aberdeen!

Bit of luck she’ll also feed me! Cheapest ‘holiday’ ever (*excluding £50k car purchase!)

• Funny
Reactions: Lucanesque
Ohhhh.... so I’ve researched this extensively!! The US Tesla bed is fairly chunky blocks of memory foam that take up a lot of space & mega bucks plus import taxes and who knows the delivery time so:

1) I’ll be alone & I’m only 5ft 4 = plenty of space and I can go a bit diagonally if need to
2) I bought a double self inflating mattress With top layer of memory foam from amazon only Max 5cm thick (too thick an air bed and the boot shelf is restrictive on legs)
3) double sleeping bag for coziness but it also converts to a single if I need (and duvets are too thick in ppls videos)
4) taking proper pillows because I’ll camp in my car... but not on a blow up air pillow!

apparently the seats don’t go fully flat so head/shoulders slightly raised but I’ll cope with that.

It’s 2 nights in my mums drive to start off with anyway. (She is 74 and shielding and I’m being careful so probs fine, but she’s the only mum I have so not risking anything - plus I want my money’s worth out of this Tesla ;) - and quite excited!

I'm going to have to look in to this, although I'm 6'2" so I'm not sure what the fit will be like :D I'm quite liking the thought of parking up somewhere with proper dark skies and falling asleep watching them, and much comfier than a tent or the floor of a bothy! I need to start scouting out some places to park up where I'm not going to get hassled by yoofs in the middle of the night.

You should start a "Camping in my Tesla" thread and let us know how it goes :)

No problem ... no diagonal necessary, you can get a full 2 metres from the back of the front seats to the back of the boot ... in theory anyone 6ft 6in or less should manage!

Is that with seats fully pushed forward? I watched
when I was thinking about getting my bike in the back and it only shows 170cm

Reactions: M3-Newbie
I'm going to have to look in to this, although I'm 6'2" so I'm not sure what the fit will be like :D I'm quite liking the thought of parking up somewhere with proper dark skies and falling asleep watching them, and much comfier than a tent or the floor of a bothy! I need to start scouting out some places to park up where I'm not going to get hassled by yoofs in the middle of the night.

You should start a "Camping in my Tesla" thread and let us know how it goes :)

Is that with seats fully pushed forward? I watched
when I was thinking about getting my bike in the back and it only shows 170cm
There was a camping in my tesla post that is on the boards a short while back, I was looking into the TESMAT but at nearly £400 including the mattress, sheets, and privacy screen including delivery it was a no for me, but the screen is quite good and I was thinking of just getting that and using one of my camping mats/thin air beds if i need to use it for camping. Someone on here I think bought thier own memory foam and cut it up to fit into a M3, M3 airbeds on Amazon are circa £75 at present

You do realise android phones all have exactly the same connection now, USB-c? The same as an iPad and MacBook.

The only outlier is the iPhone with it's outdated lightening connector.

There was a camping in my tesla post that is on the boards a short while back, I was looking into the TESMAT but at nearly £400 including the mattress, sheets, and privacy screen including delivery it was a no for me, but the screen is quite good and I was thinking of just getting that and using one of my camping mats/thin air beds if i need to use it for camping. Someone on here I think bought thier own memory foam and cut it up to fit into a M3, M3 airbeds on Amazon are circa £75 at present

This has been a real eye opener for me - never heard of camping in cars being a thing before, albeit it seems to be mostly an American thing. I already do a fair bit of wild camping, festivals, bothy trips etc, so I've got all the kit, but now I'm getting a bit older the lure of a crackling fake fire and being dry and warm whilst still "outdoors" does have an appeal :D

I like the look of the privacy screen, thanks for sharing that!

This has been a real eye opener for me - never heard of camping in cars being a thing before, albeit it seems to be mostly an American thing. I already do a fair bit of wild camping, festivals, bothy trips etc, so I've got all the kit, but now I'm getting a bit older the lure of a crackling fake fire and being dry and warm whilst still "outdoors" does have an appeal :D

I like the look of the privacy screen, thanks for sharing that!
I'm loving the idea TBH. There was one youtube vid where a model 3 owner and her friend went camping, her friend in the model 3 and her in an X. Wierdly, given the size difference, she said ti was more claustrophobic in the X. probably because the lack of a full glass roof in the back, and all the falcon wing door workings. Also in the 3 the major space you're losing out on if in the boot of course and provided you just stick your legs in there, it seems it's not an issue.

You do realise android phones all have exactly the same connection now, USB-c? The same as an iPad and MacBook.

The only outlier is the iPhone with it's outdated lightening connector.

Hi Neilio

i assume your are team android? :) I was only messing - no it’s one cable that has a usb-c end for the car, then five connectors for different devices. I have nothing that would charge an Android for a friend with no charge in my car, likewise my Android friends haven’t got outdated lighting chargers :rolleyes: as well as a usb-c output and I forget the other options - so it’s for the times others need charge but aren’t out with a cable.
I’m considerate like that - plus I’ve a couple devices would charge on that too so made sense to get One cable to shove in glovebox for every eventuality

Yeah like I said M3 airbeds (cut to fit the shape of the M3 and thinner so more leg room) were that price, standard air beds are much much cheaper!

Looks well supported - I did watch a video of a couple that had a $10 15cm thick mattress (In USA and they actually camped inside their garage!) and he said it was just too tight for him on his legs/hips (he was taller) so compared to that, 23cm is pretty deep - also needs a pump which you might have - or good lungs and a time commitment! Interested to hear how you find the space - we’re all taking a punt really and the first night will be the real test o_O

the official m3 ones I saw were cheap flock on a pool inflatable style mattress and speaking as the short one who got the air bed at various trips! I can confirm they Are soooo uncomfy to sleep on despite any marketing claims! so it wasn’t for me

I took a risk and bought this one as it self inflates (I’m not patient!) and if it breaks I’m hoping the memory foam doubled over would be comfy enough https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078FMQN6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SpcpFbZQ32ZMV

we really should stop hijacking this post! I’ll search for that other thread once I’ve had a go in it and report back! Really want to hear all your experiences too!