Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P feels slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing like burning a fuel source to keep your EV warm (assuming not using solar)... I often forget that not everyone buys an EV because they care about the environment.

You know what they say about assumptions?

My garage has been heated for years using natural gas. I didn't heat it the keep my car warm. I heated it because I work in my garage frequently and don't like freezing my butt off. In addition I also have a 7.13kW solar array on my roof. This might blow your mind, but most people don't install solar or buy an EV with the environment as the primary reason. I installed solar because it made financial sense for me and bought an EV because I really enjoy the EV experience. The environmental benefits are a bonus.

All that said, a warm EV is a more efficient EV, so some of the energy use for a heated garage is offset by the car using less energy on the road every day.

My garage has been heated for years using natural gas. I didn't heat it the keep my car warm. I heated it because I work in my garage frequently and don't like freezing my butt off. In addition I also have a 7.13kW solar array on my roof. This might blow your mind, but most people don't install solar or buy an EV with the environment as the primary reason. I installed solar because it made financial sense for me and bought an EV because I really enjoy the EV experience. The environmental benefits are a bonus.

All that said, a warm EV is a more efficient EV, so some of the energy use for a heated garage is offset by the car using less energy on the road every day.

“Some” being the operative word. And that’s cool that you heat your garage to work in it, nice anecdote.

+1 I got solar because of a $300/month electric bill, not because red spotted river frogs from Zimbabwe are an important factor in my life.

I just came to post this video but you beat me to it. Mine (2021 model 3 performance) is lethargic in certain conditions and I assumed it wasn’t functioning correctly, until I saw this video the evening afterwards. Obviously this isn’t right and needs to be fixed, but at least it isn’t specific to my car. At 50% in the cold (UK so fairly mild), it’s noticeable, at <20% after a Long drive keeping the interior warm, there was barely any power to spare when climbing on a motorway. Was very disappointed. Presumably they need to look at adjusting the set point for the battery temperature, particularly if the LR can provide more power from 50% despite scavenging heat in the same way.