Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P feels slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree bud
You’re not zig zagging left and right. You’re not drastically changing the loads on them. You’re not rolling them onto their corners. You’re not banging on bumps not testing the sidewalls. You’re not breaking the traction limit on them.

Cars don’t “feel slow” or like “mush” when acelerating due to the tires they’re riding on

That's interesting. I don't have any traction issues with my Pirelli Sottozero 3s. Possibly because they are performance winter tires.
The traction control system in the Tesla is so good, that you'll never really *know* if you're having traction issues; the wheels won't spin on a max power launch. The car simply won't accelerate as hard as it normally would. You *might* get a few minor little "chirps" from the tires, but they certainly won't spin. The car will always accelerate as hard as it can, given the amount of traction available to it. Once it detects traction starting to falter, it'll pull power. And this is just about completely seamless to the driver.

IMO, the OP is getting unsatisfactory acceleration due to:

1. The state of charge not being high enough

2. The battery pack not being warm enough (Ludicrous mode in the Model S warms the battery pack up to 122F)

3. Not enough traction from the tires

Reactions: Cybr.Myk
You’re not zig zagging left and right. You’re not drastically changing the loads on them. You’re not rolling them onto their corners. You’re not banging on bumps not testing the sidewalls. You’re not breaking the traction limit on them.

Cars don’t “feel slow” or like “mush” when acelerating due to the tires they’re riding on

Beg to differ. Mine doesn’t feel necessarily feel slow, however the Crazy “Pull” is not as pronounced. Mine sure does on my current winters (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s) compared to my Summers (Michelin Pilot PS4s) which is more neck snapping. It’s due to the “Sipes”. DEFINITELY can feel the “mush” and “slowNESS” on the Sipey winters compared to the High Performance Summers. Compound MAKES a difference sir.

Ski

Last edited:
Beg to differ. Mine doesn’t feel necessarily feel slow, however the Crazy “Pull” is not as pronounced. Mine sure does on my current winters (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s) compared to my Summers (Michelin Pilot PS4s) which is more neck snapping. It’s due to the “Sipes”.

Ski

Agree with this—mine on summer rubber absolutely flies but the X-Ice winters are quickly overmatched by the power of the P. Next time I’m going to get performance winters. Around Easter, when the summers go back on, its like I’ve gotten a whole new car again....

Short answer—to the OP: don’t panic; charge it up and you’ll notice a nice bump in performance now and it will only get better when the PS4S go back on in Spring.

Nice looking car btw—red/white really pops. Congratulations!

Agree with this—mine on summer rubber absolutely flies but the X-Ice winters are quickly overmatched by the power of the P. Next time I’m going to get performance winters. Around Easter, when the summers go back on, its like I’ve gotten a whole new car again....

Short answer—to the OP: don’t panic; charge it up and you’ll notice a nice bump in performance now and it will only get better when the PS4S go back on in Spring.

Nice looking car btw—red/white really pops. Congratulations!

I WILL say that I do feel a difference, HOWEVER let me emphasize so I don’t leave the perception that these Winter Michelin PA4s suck. These are the most INCREDIBLE winters I’ve ever driven on. They are true PERFORMANCE WINTERS. The difference between these and my Michelin Summer PS4s is NEGLIGIBLE. They’re awesome and I HIGHLY recommend them for those who don’t want to give up much from the performance summers, and these absolutely unequivocally don’t. If you want winters but also want the performance edge, these are the go to tires. If you’re a performance driver do it. Don’t take just my word for it. Just look at the Tire Rack reviews.....it’s all true.

Ski

I WILL say that I do feel a difference, HOWEVER let me emphasize so I don’t leave the perception that these Winter Michelin PA4s suck. These are the most INCREDIBLE winters I’ve ever driven on. They are true PERFORMANCE WINTERS. The difference between these and my Michelin Summer PS4s is NEGLIGIBLE. They’re awesome and I HIGHLY recommend them for those who don’t want to give up much from the performance summers, and these absolutely unequivocally don’t. If you want winters but also want the performance edge, these are the go to tires. If you’re a performance driver do it. Don’t take just my word for it. Just look at the Tire Rack reviews.....it’s all true.

Ski
Nice tire, but I love my new Vredestein Wintrac Pro's; a Performance Winter Tire that performed similarly to PA4's on wet and dry, clobbered em in the snow and cost only $175 tirerack.com in 235/45 18. These are no way mushy like X-Ice etc. They ride great too and I noticed no drop off in range compared to 20" PS4--might even be better. Very quiet.

As the state of charge falls so does the pack voltage. Since the output is limited by amperage and HP is (amps x volts) / 746, as voltage falls so does HP in a linear fashion.

Tip - Seat-of-the-Pants (SOTP) is never a good way to measure acceleration. A car with a softer suspension feels quicker than it is. A car with a linear power output feels slower than it is.

Dude chill, i have a m3p and I can feel the difference in full bore acceleration between winters and summers

I have pirelli ice zero and will say cornering, braking and general acceleration are just fine but from a dig.... give me summers on a warm day

Reactions: Skione65
Nice tire, but I love my new Vredestein Wintrac Pro's; a Performance Winter Tire that performed similarly to PA4's on wet and dry, clobbered em in the snow and cost only $175 tirerack.com in 235/45 18. These are no way mushy like X-Ice etc. They ride great too and I noticed no drop off in range compared to 20" PS4--might even be better. Very quiet.
I’ll check these out next time !

One more item to check-verify you can turn on “Track Mode.” No need to leave it on, unless you’re competing in a winter rally.

If you cannot turn on Track Mode, then your car was delivered in Demo mode. This limits acceleration and top speed. I experience it every time I drive a Service Center loaner.

Purchased our Model S as inventory car with 1,100 miles, a great mark-down and free unlimited Supercharging as long as I own it. Didn’t realize it was still in Demo mode until after driving it 900 miles home from Chicago. That was an oversight in an otherwise flawless delivery. Demo mode was removed over the air as soon as I requested.

This isn’t likely in OP’s case. However it’s easy to check and easy to correct.

I suspect you will love your 3. My wife got her Model 3 Stealth Performance over two years ago. The thrill hasn’t worn off. The car is complete Stealth-it was delivered without the rear Dual Motor badge. The light turns green, the car silently disappears down the block.

I have these waiting in the garage, I get my p3 saturday. Good to hear they're great.

I just took delivery of this beauty 2 days ago but after waiting for winter tires I finally got to drive it home yesterday.

While I was waiting overnight for my winter tires to arrive, they gave me a Model Y Performance to drive overnight. That one felt like the reaction videos I have seen, the acceleration was breathtaking.

when I picked up my M3P I just got on the highway and did the long 8 hour drive home...I didn’t really try to push it. When I got to my city I tried to floor it a few times to get that neck snapping feel that the Y had, nothing. It’s very meh. Something is definitely wrong.

- not in valet mode
- not in chill mode

the car is quite dirty after being on the slushy highway for 8 hours...maybe the ultrasonic sensors are blocked. I haven’t tried turning off the object aware acceleration feature but I don’t think that’s it because it is even slow from a rolling start at 25km/h and I don’t think the object aware thing is active at those speeds.

many ideas why it might feel slow?
You might get a better neck snap if you floor it while stopped.