Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P feels slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beg to differ. Mine doesn’t feel necessarily feel slow, however the Crazy “Pull” is not as pronounced... DEFINITELY can feel the “mush” and “slowNESS” on the Sipey winters compared to the High Performance Summers.

The difference between these and my Michelin Summer PS4s is NEGLIGIBLE.

These 2 statements do not compute

Dude chill, i have a m3p and I can feel the difference in full bore acceleration between winters and summers

I have pirelli ice zero and will say cornering, braking and general acceleration are just fine but from a dig.... give me summers on a warm day
Outside of the first second or 2 of a dig, theres much higher forces in braking, from any speed. If you can't feel a difference in braking, you can't feel a difference in accel.

The dig was specifically excluded from initial discussion ,where traction is indeed limited because (1) car is putting out maximum wheel torque (2) winter tires means operating in high probability of low-grip surface

When car is already hooked up and rolling, there is much less likelihood of losing traction (single gear; wheel torque drops with road speed).

How much difference are you feeling ? 100hp? 50hp? (the difference between full and half-charge, btw)
Where has that difference gone? Power was reduced because the AWD car was sensing slip? Or you think all that entirely was entirely absorbed and dissipated through the sipes?

There's no arguing against placebo and butt dyno so happy launching to you all

• Disagree
Reactions: Skione65
The traction control system in the Tesla is so good, that you'll never really *know* if you're having traction issues; the wheels won't spin on a max power launch. The car simply won't accelerate as hard as it normally would. You *might* get a few minor little "chirps" from the tires, but they certainly won't spin. The car will always accelerate as hard as it can, given the amount of traction available to it. Once it detects traction starting to falter, it'll pull power. And this is just about completely seamless to the driver.

I know how seamlessly the Tesla traction control works. That said, my car definitely doesn't have traction issues on the winters. I took my car to the dragstrip in Oct. on the summers and in November on the winters and my 60ft times were identical.

Even on the street, the dragy doesn't lie. I pull the same low 3 second 0-60 times on the summers and the winters.

Reactions: Sam1
I know how seamlessly the Tesla traction control works. That said, my car definitely doesn't have traction issues on the winters. I took my car to the dragstrip in Oct. on the summers and in November on the winters and my 60ft times were identical.

Even on the street, the dragy doesn't lie. I pull the same low 3 second 0-60 times on the summers and the winters.
Sorry, that was supposed to be directed at the OP.

Those are some darn good winter tires!

Reactions: vogz
Running winter tires on an AWD+ in Quebec here. Winter tires don't make a difference on acceleration, unless you lose major grip. Battery temp on the other hand... I've had times when my car would feel like a Toyota Corolla . Preheat your car, and keep it charged if you want power...

Running winter tires on an AWD+ in Quebec here. Winter tires don't make a difference on acceleration, unless you lose major grip. Battery temp on the other hand... I've had times when my car would feel like a Toyota Corolla . Preheat your car, and keep it charged if you want power...

similar experience. This is the first car, with any real power, where I do not notice an acceleration traction loss. No idea if that's because it is pulling a lot of power or doing it so quickly and seamlessly that I don't notice. But no traction issues to speak of.

Just picked it up from the Ceramic Coat/PPF guy. Anyways, had a warm battery and a full charge...LMAO, whoomp there it is! Neck snapping, smile generating, fear inducing acceleration.

No more concerns.

Attachments

• CC24BFF9-2727-4756-87B8-625165F64458.jpeg
    CC24BFF9-2727-4756-87B8-625165F64458.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 132
  • FC78E2D8-1E83-4BAC-8304-20EC65E6B62B.jpeg
    FC78E2D8-1E83-4BAC-8304-20EC65E6B62B.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 968AA7B7-07E3-43B0-B85F-7D6BA755DF85.jpeg
    968AA7B7-07E3-43B0-B85F-7D6BA755DF85.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 72
I just took delivery of this beauty 2 days ago but after waiting for winter tires I finally got to drive it home yesterday.

While I was waiting overnight for my winter tires to arrive, they gave me a Model Y Performance to drive overnight. That one felt like the reaction videos I have seen, the acceleration was breathtaking.

when I picked up my M3P I just got on the highway and did the long 8 hour drive home...I didn’t really try to push it. When I got to my city I tried to floor it a few times to get that neck snapping feel that the Y had, nothing. It’s very meh. Something is definitely wrong.

- not in valet mode
- not in chill mode

the car is quite dirty after being on the slushy highway for 8 hours...maybe the ultrasonic sensors are blocked. I haven’t tried turning off the object aware acceleration feature but I don’t think that’s it because it is even slow from a rolling start at 25km/h and I don’t think the object aware thing is active at those speeds.

many ideas why it might feel slow?

The car is slow on rolling starts. You have to be stopped or at speed to get good acceleration.

Agree with this—mine on summer rubber absolutely flies but the X-Ice winters are quickly overmatched by the power of the P.

I can absolutely agree with this, especially if the temperature is warm (IE above 7C or 45F). Even on my "slow" LR RWD I can easily cause the traction control indicator to light up with X-Ice at maybe 60% and can feel the acceleration slow, and this isn't even P power.

I also lose regen sometimes at warm temperatures, where it just goes away during a high deceleration, probably due to the tires slipping.

If it is colder below 0C 32F I find it grabs better.

Also it seems there's an issue with the heat pump stealing too much heat on the 2021 models, so if you're somewhere cold you'll feel the power limitation much more often. At least until they push out some updates.
Yep, it's this. The 2021 Model 3s scavenge heat from the battery to warm the cabin, it's great for efficiency but not so great for power availability at lower SoC.

Tesla needs to make some changes to heat scavenging at lower SoC IMO: lots of 2021 owners this winter have been going into limp-mode at 15% SoC, and that's pretty dangerous having a limited speed on the highway.

Yep, it's this. The 2021 Model 3s scavenge heat from the battery to warm the cabin, it's great for efficiency but not so great for power availability at lower SoC.

Tesla needs to make some changes to heat scavenging at lower SoC IMO: lots of 2021 owners this winter have been going into limp-mode at 15% SoC, and that's pretty dangerous having a limited speed on the highway.
It happens already at 30% SoC on my TM3P.
The speed is limited, but it's still a fast car. No need to make it seem like a bigger issue than it is.