Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MCU model issues, anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3/18 MX build with new MCU just installed 10.6. My WIFI connects seamlessly now, so hopefully any updates can come that way. It seems they really pushed this one out over LTE sorta urgently! I didn't have any screen/blackouts, so I hope it stays that way. I'm really looking forward to a new Audio interface!

10.6 fixed my Wifi issue also.

So wifi issues DO NOT seem to be fixed with 10.6 on the new MCU. It appears that you can only connect to wifi to one network. Once you've done that, you can't connect to anything else without first rebooting. I was able to connect to my work network no problem after the update. I was not able to connect to my home network that same day. It had the same symptoms as before the update. The difference is I now have the ability to reboot, then I was able to connect to my home wifi. Now of course, I can't reconnect to my work wifi. This explains why it connected with no problems to the Tesla service center when they received the vehicle, but we were not able to connect to another network. So unless this is a "feature", wifi connectivity is still not really fixed. In addition, I still cannot properly connect an iphone. It will pair after a reset, but then disconnects and won't reconnect when trying to do anything like download contacts, etc. Anyone else have the phone issue?

So wifi issues DO NOT seem to be fixed with 10.6 on the new MCU. It appears that you can only connect to wifi to one network. Once you've done that, you can't connect to anything else without first rebooting. I was able to connect to my work network no problem after the update. I was not able to connect to my home network that same day. It had the same symptoms as before the update. The difference is I now have the ability to reboot, then I was able to connect to my home wifi. Now of course, I can't reconnect to my work wifi. This explains why it connected with no problems to the Tesla service center when they received the vehicle, but we were not able to connect to another network. So unless this is a "feature", wifi connectivity is still not really fixed. In addition, I still cannot properly connect an iphone. It will pair after a reset, but then disconnects and won't reconnect when trying to do anything like download contacts, etc. Anyone else have the phone issue?

Hmm. I don’t seem to have an issue with my iPhone X connection.

Ok - Long Post Ahead.
Hopefully this is all new info that will help.
Picked up my new MS 100D today with new MCU and 7 miles on the odometer.
Car was close to perfect.
Zero issues until I attempted to drive away.
I had just paired my phone.
My foot touched the brake inadvertently. A message appeared on the IC indicating that service was required and something about Stearing Assistance being limited. I put it in drive. No power steering. Eventually the message cleared and the power steering worked again, however, oddly my phone was no longer paired, as if I never added it.
They pulled it out of the delivery area into the service drive.
Here’s what they did for me and a few things I learned.
First they fixed the issue of not being able to reboot the MCU with the scroll wheels by doing something they called a “12 volt pull”
(They said any SC would know what that means) It worked! Apparently the latest firmware does not resolve this issue.
There was an update waiting to be installed that they deleted from the car because a newer version was available. Then loaded 10.12 5eadc71.
They informed me that there is another bug (Drive Rail) that caused the loss of power steering and that latest firmware does not fix this either. So here’s what caused it. The door was opened when I pressed the brake. They said to be careful make certain that the door is closed and my seat belt is buckled before pressing the brake. Apparently, engineers are working on both issues.
I was unable to test AP as I only drove it 17 miles to the shop where it’s getting wrapped (SunTek Ultra + 2 coats of Gyeon Quartz G2 MOHS). It will take at least a week :-(
I do like the new navigation voice and IC views (see attached image)
416DA638-147D-442C-862D-C610AA064A59.jpeg

9FD1E004-7378-42D3-AD43-36ECA9268B78.jpeg

Last edited:
The door was opened when I pressed the brake. They said to be careful make certain that the door is closed and my seat belt is buckled before pressing the brake. Apparently, engineers are working on both issues.
So there is nothing wrong with the car, you were just "using it wrong" :p I know it sounds like an Elon quote, but it's actually paraphrasing Steve Jobs' "people are holding the [the phones] wrong".

Let's face it folks - we, the customers, are the QA department of Tesla. Keep that in mind whenever using Auto Pilot.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you keeping your foot on the brake when holding down both scroll wheels?

No such thing as a dumb question when you're trying to be helpful! Yes, I am holding my foot on the brake. I called the service center and they told me that I was the third person they'd spoken to who had the same experience post 10.6 - WiFi worked, but reboot didn't.

Reactions: f3honda4me
I had a terrible time getting my car connected to my home network. I use an Airport Express router and an Xfinity modem.

Right away I figured it was a firewall preventing port 1194 from being accessible so I tried to create a DMZ for the car but without being able to see the MAC address it made it a bit difficult. I was able to get the MAC address by tethering it to my phone and getting the MAC address by looking at connected devices. I wasn't expecting to see LG but wasn't really surprised since I already knew I had the new MCU.

Creating the DMZ on my router didn't change anything. I tried setting up a DMZ for a different device and went to grc.com and checked for open ports. I found that even on a DMZ all ports were in "Stealth" mode. I logged into my modem and found that the firewall settings were not visible. To make the firewall controls visible I had to turn "bridge" mode off, turn the firewall off completely, and turn "bridge" mode back on.

After doing those steps my S75D now connects to my WiFi without issue. Maybe my experiences with this will help someone else.

1. Unable to connect to WiFi
2. Will not Summon
3. GPS screen would not render twice on a road trip for about an hour each time. It was still tracking me, just would not show Sat view or regular Nav view. Fixed itself both times after an hour or so.
4. MASTER CAUTION and the car would not start. 4 days old and had to be towed to Service center. Outcome unknown at this time as it has been towed to a service center.

Picked up my 100D yesterday.
Have many of the same issues.
1. No wifi (no MAC address)
2. Charging problems (error message says there is a problem with the charging cable)
3. No summon
4. Intermittent loss of sound from speakers. Sometimes a static noise coming from speakers.
5. Can’t soft reboot the car
Firmware is 10.6

On a positive note autopilot is better than my HW1 car I turned in off lease.

I got the car back on Thursday from the SC and have put about 500 miles on it. The last thing they did was update me to 2018.12 and this seems to have solved all of the critical problems I was experiencing.

I still have issues with:
  • LTE connectivity even in strong signal areas. It loses the signal and then takes forever to pick it back up even after the signal has become strong again.
  • Failure to load streaming audio. It eventually recovers but sometimes I have to change sources then go back to make it happen.
  • Audio shut off completely even turn signal noise once so far. Resloved with a power down, wait 3 minutes and power back up.
  • TACC and AP was non-functional one time. Resolved same way as above
  • Intermittent Speaker issues like it is shutting down a channel. It almost behaves like there's a short. It does it in all sources: Streaming using car, using phone, and XM. I have not tried FM because, well, hey, it's FM and who listens to over the air radio anymore.... :)
  • No summon on phone or Fob.
  • The maps stop rendering for 10 minutes or so at a time but eventually recover however, it never stops tracking me or stops giving me directions if I have put them in. This has happened 3 times in last 500 miles.
  • There are a few other minor quirks but might be user induced... :)
On the positive, the AP is phenomenal now. It changes lanes like a gentleman and tracks perfectly. It anticipates the speed in the lane I am changing and starts to adjust its speed while its changing lanes. It feels very natural now. Doesn't bounce around when the road gets wide in preparation to add a lane. HUGE steps IMHO in AutoPilot. I'm loving it!

I have no doubt this system is headed in the right direction and that they will work all the bugs out soon. All in all, I am very to have it back and working well.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks