Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without the left stalk, how is the windshield wash activated? Also, what about cruise control with no right hand stalk?
1693578945773.png

This is the Model S Yoke but the wheel will be the same.

Right scroll wheel press turns on cruise control

Reactions: puckpurnell
There will still be a fan to blow air through the seats, but that air will not be cooled by AC directly. It will just be cabin air. I think ventilated seats (with a fan) are still a nice upgrade over what we have now.
Fully agree. Even if the air is not actually cooled, if there is a fan that pushes / circulates air through the perforated holes, that would be much better than what we have now.

I like the redesign. It kind of turns the M3 into a mini MS. I don't like removing the stalks, but I think it won't be that hard to get used to it. I think the exterior looks a little bit better and interior looks nice. I especially like the ambient lights. I installed aftermarket ones in my MY, so that's right up my alley. Ventilated seats are something I'd like to have as well.

I guess most if not all of these updates should eventually make it to the refreshed MY. It will probably be at least 3~4 years before I switch out of my MYP (maybe longer depending on how my 3 kids burn money through college starting this fall 😭 ), so I will be on the sidelines looking on. Still love my MYP though. But I look forward to seeing some refreshed M3s and MYs on the road in the near future.

Reactions: APotatoGod
but just wait until the highland performance/plaid information is leaked

what to expect from the new Performance (I hope it's going to be interesting!),

After all this buzz, no new battery, no new motor.

Yes, would be nice to see the more efficient drivetrain without that “beeping” and inefficient AC motor (I am sure people know about the sound) in the front! The old inefficient one leaves an indeterminate amount on the table.

Maybe in the Performance. Would be cool to see a Performance with the same or better range than the base model (not likely but better real-world actual efficiency with non-performance tires if they actually update the drivetrain is possible).

Need carbon-sleeved rotors! And permanent magnet everywhere…

Reactions: EVolv3d
Not confused. When in a round about your wheel is no longer in the upright position. Now, when signaling your exit you need to find the signal button on an interface that may be upside down.
Are your round-abouts built for go-carts? I've never been in a round-about small enough for me to need to overlap my grip.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine, if your hands are at 9 oclock-3 oclock on the steering wheel, that while in a round-about and not sliding your hand, that your 9-oclock hand would go much past 6-oclock while turning the wheel. So at no point would the wheel be near upside-down. And your hand could easily stay near the turn signal buttons.
I'm not saying there wouldn't be scenarios where you'd need your turn signal and the wheel is upside-down, I'm sure there will be.
But while in a round-about may not be a good example.

This thread probably doesn't need to devolve into how Tesla is the worst offender on overstating range, but the numbers from the EPA can be done with 2 different tests. Tesla chooses the set of tests that gives them the highest, most unrealistic number, and publishes those. Pretty much every other manufacturer uses the other set of tests that provide results that are much closer to what you will actually see.

Yes they are doing nothing illegal. Yes the test is obviously flawed that is used by the EPA, but just because something is not illegal does not make it ethical.
Talk is cheap. Please post your 2022 IRS tax return ( with all the personal info redacted). I will review it and I know despite nothing illegal in your filing I will find unethical ones. Put up or …

I love the new front for being almost devoid of ornamentation ❤️🙏. Finally a front focused on CD rather than trying to set a record in number of fake airducs, fins, creases and fog lights (that most drivers don’t even know to turn on) let alone fake grilles🫣🤮

IMHO, this is the way the 3 was always supposed to look, but would have been too shocking as legacy auto had made us used to loads of drag inducing ornaments. Tesla leads ‘form follows function‘ one little step at a time.

Does anyone else see the ambient lighting as a way to avoid mode confusion with autopilot? Placement of lights ahead of the driver, telling them the mode will make sure they understand whether the car is steering or they are steering.

And if the light strip can act as 1 dimensional display, it could indicate direction the car will take and whether it will speed up or slow down.

I can only hope…

Does anyone else see the ambient lighting as a way to avoid mode confusion with autopilot? Placement of lights ahead of the driver, telling them the mode will make sure they understand whether the car is steering or they are steering.

And if the light strip can act as 1 dimensional display, it could indicate direction the car will take and whether it will speed up or slow down.

I can only hope…
Unlikely.

Are your round-abouts built for go-carts? I've never been in a round-about small enough for me to need to overlap my grip.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine, if your hands are at 9 oclock-3 oclock on the steering wheel, that while in a round-about and not sliding your hand, that your 9-oclock hand would go much past 6-oclock while turning the wheel. So at no point would the wheel be near upside-down. And your hand could easily stay near the turn signal buttons.
I'm not saying there wouldn't be scenarios where you'd need your turn signal and the wheel is upside-down, I'm sure there will be.
But while in a round-about may not be a good example.
I suppose it's less problematic on Teslas as their steering wheel ratio is very fast. On my older X3, there were roundabouts that required overlapping grips. I'm pretty sure I had situations where X3's steering wheel was upside down in the middle of a roundabout. But as I said, it may not be a problem on a wheel as fast as Teslas.

Reactions: XPsionic
There is obviously the typical cost cutting measures with the removal of the stalks. This reduces costs significantly.
The stalks, assemblies, and assembly line time is reduced.
I'm sure moving it all to software will save them millions.
Same goes for the simplification of the front bumper assembly.

The upgrades in quality are much needed. I'm sure all of this will carry over to the updated Y.

I'm not familar with the X and S no stalks.
How do you use the PRNDL? Is it on the steering wheel or screen?

Reactions: XPsionic
I test drove a new Model S last week to see if I could deal with the stalk-less steering column and drive mode slider thing on the main display.

I couldn't - everything about it is awful. The small button to activate the horn makes it unlikely that you'll be able to find it in a panic stop or similar scenario, and people who are already lazy about signaling lane changes with a traditional stalk won't even bother if they have to look down at the wheel to do it.

As this configuration will most certainly make it into the Cybertruck as well, for the first time ever Tesla has no new vehicles that I am interested in buying. Well done, Elon - I'm sure Volvo and the other OEMs will welcome me with open arms.