Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like it has to be said again regarding the refreshed S/X and the stalks/yoke (at least Highland does not have a yoke):
These design decisions were and continue to be a huge freekin' filter on the population willing to buy the cars. I don't know the percentage (I suspect large, but it may not be). Sales figures for the refreshed S/X have not been stellar for sure, but hard to say how much of that is because of this aspect.

The buyers either knew or suspected they would be fine with the stalkless and/or yoke. Everybody who knew or strongly suspected they would not like it went elsewhere.

Than you have the extremely strong self-protective effect of people's brains tending to suppress any buyers remorse if they just happened to dump six figures on a purchase.

You also have the whole issues of people proud of embracing something new and different (even if it is worse or not better). And the whole Tesla cult aspects....

Consequently, the opinions of S/X owners (while still valuable) are absolutely in no way representative, and give no meaningful assessment if the stalkless setup is going to be better (or acceptable) to most buyers. That would require actual testing with some representative sample of drivers, which there is no evidence was ever done.

We will have to wait for long-term sales figures to know how much of a demand suppressor this is (if any). I already know the answer for me though, and I am fully filtered :)

This isn’t 5 years ago when the Model 3 first came out. The cult and You Tubers will certainly HYPE it up, but it’s just a reskinned current Odel 3.

Buy an aftermarket screen and put it in the back and your set. LED lights? Again, buy aftermarket and save some money.

I remember the arguments about how it didn’t need ventilated seats 🤣

Like I said, it’s like Tesla came on this forum and saw what people were doing to their 3’s and decided to implement that and call it “New”

Just like the door button, auto trunk, wireless charger. It really is comical.

You not gonna like no stalk

Some side by sides

Attachments

• 12.png
    12.png
    441.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 13.png
    13.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: dusty22 and byeLT4
Not gonna say I like the stalk delete, but when's the last time you had the wheel cranked half way to the lock and wanted to put on the turn signal? Doesn't happen.

When's the last time your drive included roundabouts?
It seems as though round-abouts are the only scenario people have difficulties with turn signals, a popular edge case. However, I go through one or two round-abouts (depends on the route) where I live and turn signals are not necessary. In fact they could send a wrong signal (pun intended). They are very small round-abouts of very slow traffic. Nobody uses signals here, its a small low key community.

Coworker still hates the stalkless design on their model S. other people say it's no big deal. YMMV I guess.
The more I read posts about it the more it looks like a can't please everyone feature. Some will love it and think it's a step toward the future, some will not care for it but tolerate it for the sake of enjoying other aspects of the car, some will dismiss it and buy something else. I'd say a lot of the sudden complaints come from others watching the video and deciding they don't like it vs having tried it and not liking it, otherwise there would have been a lot more complaints after the new S and X started delivering. I went back to look at those threads and the vast majority of owners speak positively of not only the signals, but the gear shift as well. The only truly polarizing feature was the yolk vs the wheel. Definitely take a test drive in a stalkless vehicle first, then you can decide through experience. Wonder if other automakers will follow suit?