Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe they went back to the old-looking exterior chrome trim around the windows and door handles. SMH.....
The exterior trim around the windows and door handles is black… not chrome. I think what you are seeing in that video is just a reflection of the light on the black trim… which is making it appear chrome like from certain angles.

I can't believe they went back to the old-looking exterior chrome trim around the windows and door handles. SMH.....
I had to do a double take as well. Definitely not chrome though...
highland.JPG

Give the stalk-less Tesla's a chance. I own a Model S refresh w/o stalks, but have been driving a 2019 Model S loaner for the last month while mine's in for a repair.

I hate having to tell the car which direction I want to go when I get in. The stalk-less cars are VERY good at guessing which direction you want to go, and eliminating any need to touch the gear shift. Likewise, I've grown to like the turn signals on the steering wheel, they're closer to where your hands are naturally resting. Even my wife likes the driving experience of my car, and she's never cared about any car before.
Given how poor the auto wipers work and how poor Tesla Vision is compared to the ultrasonic sensors as well as how poor they’ve been at preventing phantom braking I’ll use my own eyes and brain to determine whether I want to go forward or backwards, thank you very much.
^ This. Did everyone love the one pedal driving? I’m sure many people would get used to it. My wife did not like one pedal driving at first and now loves it.

Most of the naysayers will eventually come around.

We bought two new Teslas last year so will wait until we pull more value from them as they’re not super depreciated until replacing with new models.
One pedal driving was a much smaller change and you also had a choice. Tesla’s been down this road before - they tried to force the yoke on people, then made an option. Now yokes make up less than 10% of the sales. The people have spoken. Why do we need to speak again? Is Tesla really taht deaf?

I don't know why people defend this but again, Tesla is CHOOSING to provide misleading information.

They aren't picking the "formula that provides the worst stats"

They are picking the formula that provides the results that are furthest from reality in order to boost sales. There are plenty of threads about the inaccuracies of Tesla's range estimates. We don't need another one here. Let's just focus on the car changes.
I posted this in another thread but here it is again - earlier this week I drove home from the cabin. No special tricks, just got in the car and drove. (I did use autopilot most of the time.) The last 20% of battery was also driven in the rain so the efficiency was actually a little worse for that leg.

So yeah, tesla’s rated milage is totally unachievable. /s
IMG_3010.jpeg

I posted this in another thread but here it is again - earlier this week I drove home from the cabin. No special tricks, just got in the car and drove. (I did use autopilot most of the time.) The last 20% of battery was also driven in the rain so the efficiency was actually a little worse for that leg.

So yeah, tesla’s rated milage is totally unachievable. /sView attachment 977326
I achieved the rated mileage yesterday. so....

Reactions: sleepydoc
I've seen all the early Model 3 Highland "fluff" reviews from other countries, and I assume that the updated US version of the Model 3 is basically the same. They all say the same thing...... 50% of the parts are redesigned; therefore improved mileage; better aerodynamic design; new exciting colors; super-duper Alcantara dashboards; ventilated seats; etc. In all fairness, I do like the the addition of the steel hook on the car doors, but the reality is that the new Model 3 is basically the same warmed-over car, and the whole world of automotive manufacturers is passing Tesla by. And the self-appointed automotive "fluff" pundits are afraid to tell the truth, because they may lose out on some advance rumor material and maybe some freebees. Let me repeat this:

IT'S ESSENTIALLY THE SAME CAR

IT'S REALLY ESSENTIALLY THE SAME CAR!!!!!!

Tesla may lead in sales and profit margins, but I'm not sure for how long. Where are all the improvements that the "YouTube Tesla Experts" predicted for the new "Highland" release? Where is the front facing bumper camera? Where are the extra 2 side cameras as part of the Version 4.0 MCU system? Where's the expected 360 degree camera view made from Tesla Vision video data? Every other EV has a surround view but not Tesla, because Tesla cars don't even need a steering wheel. (How's that working out?) Where's the new and improved high resolution radar/USS system which was patented and should have replaced my non-existent sensor system that was stripped out of my 2023 Model 3? (You would know how important sensors are if you ever pulled out of a parking lot space when you are flanked by large SUV's.) Then there is the driver side instrument display controversy which continues. Everybody else has one, but not Tesla cars, except for one ultra cheap Chinese EV and some ancient BMW sports car that nobody bought. I saw pictures of the future Tesla Roadster. No driver's side gauges on a $200,000 car??? Were the instrument gauges too expensive? If you want to save money, get rid of the useless glass moonroof in the M3. You should be looking at the road, not the moon. With the saved money Tesla could afford to put some gauges in the middle of the driver's line on site. Then I wouldn't have to keep adding aftermarket gauges to see important vehicle parameters, not to mention an accessory front facing camera (I'm on my third gauge display version on the same car.)

I have seen essentially twelve months of YouTube "secret advanced Tesla Model 3 update information" which turned out to be just speculation and plain old fake news. So, despite the numerous insignificant improvements.........

IT'S THE SAME CAR!!!!!!

I might point out that most people like to have a significantly different looking vehicle when they purchase a new, updated model. If someone asks you, "Is that the new Tesla Model 3?" you'll have to say, "Wait, I have to see if the tail lights are different." And who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to have white Alcantara (or off-white) for the dashboard? To quote Google: "It's not as hardy a material as traditional leather and requires more regular cleaning." Quite frankly, it is a dust and dirt collector. For that matter a white headliner is also a dirt magnet. You know, they can make headliners out of dark fabric.

So it's time to wake up Tesla. Come back to reality. I personally invested in the company, not for the products but more for the guy running the show. Even Steve Jobs was wrong occasionally (remember The Newton, The Lisa, and tiny iPhones). That Tesla guy is brilliant but not infallible.

I've seen all the early Model 3 Highland "fluff" reviews from other countries, and I assume that the updated US version of the Model 3 is basically the same. They all say the same thing...... 50% of the parts are redesigned; therefore improved mileage; better aerodynamic design; new exciting colors; super-duper Alcantara dashboards; ventilated seats; etc. In all fairness, I do like the the addition of the steel hook on the car doors, but the reality is that the new Model 3 is basically the same warmed-over car, and the whole world of automotive manufacturers is passing Tesla by. And the self-appointed automotive "fluff" pundits are afraid to tell the truth, because they may lose out on some advance rumor material and maybe some freebees. Let me repeat this:

Tesla may lead in sales and profit margins, but I'm not sure for how long. Where are all the improvements that the "YouTube Tesla Experts" predicted for the new "Highland" release? Where is the front facing bumper camera? Where are the extra 2 side cameras as part of the Version 4.0 MCU system? Where's the expected 360 degree camera view made from Tesla Vision video data? Every other EV has a surround view but not Tesla, because Tesla cars don't even need a steering wheel. (How's that working out?) Where's the new and improved high resolution radar/USS system which was patented and should have replaced my non-existent sensor system that was stripped out of my 2023 Model 3? (You would know how important sensors are if you ever pulled out of a parking lot space when you are flanked by large SUV's.) Then there is the driver side instrument display controversy which continues. Everybody else has one, but not Tesla cars, except for one ultra cheap Chinese EV and some ancient BMW sports car that nobody bought. I saw pictures of the future Tesla Roadster. No driver's side gauges on a $200,000 car??? Were the instrument gauges too expensive? If you want to save money, get rid of the useless glass moonroof in the M3. You should be looking at the road, not the moon. With the saved money Tesla could afford to put some gauges in the middle of the driver's line on site. Then I wouldn't have to keep adding aftermarket gauges to see important vehicle parameters, not to mention an accessory front facing camera (I'm on my third gauge display version on the same car.)

I have seen essentially twelve months of YouTube "secret advanced Tesla Model 3 update information" which turned out to be just speculation and plain old fake news. So, despite the numerous insignificant improvements.........

IT'S THE SAME CAR!!!!!!

I might point out that most people like to have a significantly different looking vehicle when they purchase a new, updated model. If someone asks you, "Is that the new Tesla Model 3?" you'll have to say, "Wait, I have to see if the tail lights are different." And who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to have white Alcantara (or off-white) for the dashboard? To quote Google: "It's not as hardy a material as traditional leather and requires more regular cleaning." Quite frankly, it is a dust and dirt collector. For that matter a white headliner is also a dirt magnet. You know, they can make headliners out of dark fabric.

So it's time to wake up Tesla. Come back to reality. I personally invested in the company, not for the products but more for the guy running the show. Even Steve Jobs was wrong occasionally (remember The Newton, The Lisa, and tiny iPhones). That Tesla guy is brilliant but not infallible.
I disagree with all of your points without the capital letters and large font. :D
How about that!!! 😁

Using a larger font is akin to throwing a temper tantrum. The more one does it, the less likely I am to read.

Also, Steve Jobs was not involved with The Newton - it was while Steve had been ousted and was a John Scully driven product.

Using a larger font is akin to throwing a temper tantrum. The more one does it, the less likely I am to read.

Also, Steve Jobs was not involved with The Newton - it was while Steve had been ousted and was a John Scully driven product.
1.) Larger font is for emphasis, otherwise there wouldn't be available larger fonts on a forum.
2.) You got me on the Newton. That was a long time ago (but I'm still right about the little iPhones).
3.) I still maintain that the Highland Update is disappointing. Look at all the Chinese competitors that are offering similarly priced vehicles with more tech. I've installed numerous auto accessories over the years, and I am aware of the prices of video cameras, screens, etc. Tesla is not saving a significant amount of money. They just don't want to do it. Hewlett-Packard used to refer to an in-house term abbreviated by the letters NIH (not referring to the National Institutes of Health). NIH to them meant "Not Invented Here," meaning if Hp didn't invent it, it can't be any good. Seriously, Tesla has to wake before they lose all their business to the foreign competitors. I am not any sort of Tesla basher, but the future trends are obvious.

So wake up Tesla. It's the same old car.

(I hope the smaller fonts are pleasing.)

And what's wrong with that? People want essentially the same car with small improvements to address deficiencies they might see (for example I would love to have the ventilated seats, and it would be nice to have a rear screen for rear passengers to adjust the climate).
Tesla may lead in sales and profit margins, but I'm not sure for how long. Where are all the improvements that the "YouTube Tesla Experts" predicted for the new "Highland" release? Where is the front facing bumper camera? Where are the extra 2 side cameras as part of the Version 4.0 MCU system? Where's the expected 360 degree camera view made from Tesla Vision video data? Every other EV has a surround view but not Tesla, because Tesla cars don't even need a steering wheel. (How's that working out?) Where's the new and improved high resolution radar/USS system which was patented and should have replaced my non-existent sensor system that was stripped out of my 2023 Model 3? (You would know how important sensors are if you ever pulled out of a parking lot space when you are flanked by large SUV's.)
Blame the Youtube speculators, not Tesla. As I mentioned upthread, take those Youtube speculator claims with a huge grain of salt and always look for the primary source (do not trust their analysis as most of them don't know what they are talking about and things easily get lost in translation).
Then there is the driver side instrument display controversy which continues. Everybody else has one, but not Tesla cars, except for one ultra cheap Chinese EV and some ancient BMW sports car that nobody bought. I saw pictures of the future Tesla Roadster. No driver's side gauges on a $200,000 car??? Were the instrument gauges too expensive? If you want to save money, get rid of the useless glass moonroof in the M3. You should be looking at the road, not the moon. With the saved money Tesla could afford to put some gauges in the middle of the driver's line on site. Then I wouldn't have to keep adding aftermarket gauges to see important vehicle parameters, not to mention an accessory front facing camera (I'm on my third gauge display version on the same car.)
That shipped has sailed long ago. Most people don't care that there is no gauge screen, and those that do can buy an aftermarket one, of which there is a thriving industry and lots of choices.

IT'S THE SAME CAR!!!!!!

It seems you don't understand the car industry. Most premium car brands and premium car buyers actually prefer the car to look mostly the same as previous generations (it's called "family resemblance"). That's why BMWs and Mercedes look mostly the same between generations and between models. This is the case even when they do a platform change (and not a refresh like Highland).
What makes good car design? An industry insider peels back the studio curtain - Hagerty Media

This is true of premium products like iPhones also, which try to keep enough design elements to let people know it remains an "iPhone". When bigger departures are made, people actually seem to hate it (for example the notch and camera hump just off the top of my head).

Reactions: cusetownusa
I've seen all the early Model 3 Highland "fluff"... and the whole world of automotive manufacturers is passing Tesla by... most people like to have a significantly different looking vehicle when they purchase a new, updated model. If someone asks you, "Is that the new Tesla Model 3?" you'll have to say, "Wait, I have to see if the tail lights are different."

Dude, automakers typically do a bumper refresh every 3 years because:

A: They can afford to
B: Competition forces them to

Tesla has neither. They need to invest every dime into more factories and more models. And as much as you might think X brand car with the nice seat stitching is "competition", it's not. That car sells for far more than a Tesla, it's a mechanical nightmare of hacked-together fossil car parts, and the manufacturer loses tens of thousands of dollars with every sale.

So yeah, Tesla does a bumper refresh every 6-8 years instead of the traditional 3. What was your point again? Something about YouTubers confusing you?

So yeah, tesla’s rated milage is totally unachievable. /sView attachment 977326
Totally. /s

IMG_6223.jpeg

‘23 w/19s; rated @267 miles

Dude, automakers typically do a bumper refresh every 3 years because:

A: They can afford to
B: Competition forces them to

Tesla has neither. They need to invest every dime into more factories and more models. And as much as you might think X brand car with the nice seat stitching is "competition", it's not. That car sells for far more than a Tesla, it's a mechanical nightmare of hacked-together fossil car parts, and the manufacturer loses tens of thousands of dollars with every sale.

So yeah, Tesla does a bumper refresh every 6-8 years instead of the traditional 3. What was your point again? Something about YouTubers confusing you?
Dude???? Very impolite salutation.

I'm not saying I dislike Tesla cars, but I would have preferred more obvious changes for something that was hyped so much. Is it so unreasonable to expect a front facing camera or a few safety features at minimal cost? I doubt if a few extra parts would substantially reduce their 30% profit margin.