Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 vs Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC members,

Newby here so my apologies if posting in the wrong section. I was invited to configure my Model 3 last week and haven't done so just yet. I'm @ a standstill since I've driven a Model S multiple times (test drives, Turo, etc) and love how spacious it is (I'm a heavy set guy 5-10, 295). I'm afraid the M3 may be too 'small' for me since test drives are not yet available.

I do qualify for the Federal and State incentives to I'm looking at a total cost for M3 in the $52K range. Is it realistic to find a decent used MS for around $50K-$55K? I'd be financing part of the cost so a 2015 or newer model would yield a better rate with my current CU.

I'm I overthinking it? Any other 'generously sized' members out there with a M3? This would be my daily driver (100mi/day) car and my first Tesla car.

I'd love to hear from you!

Welcome!
There are lots of great folks on here who can answer just about any question, so you have found the right place.

I haven't been in the 3 yet, so can't gauge the roominess. However, finding an S in the $50-55k range is possible, but maybe not for a 2015 or newer. It likely depends on if you want the Tesla CPO program, or are ok with a 3rd party sale. If you aren't familiar yet, take a look at ev-cpo.com (or similar sites) that list all the available CPO S and X across the country (not just your region) to get an idea of pricing.

Good luck with the search!

If you are considering a used Model S, request a callback and speak with a Tesla sales adviser. If you can figure out with options you "need" and which options you can do without, they can find cars that are not listed anywhere online which still qualify for the CPO warranties.

I just took delivery of a Blue 2015 Model S 85 with Autopilot for about the same price range you are looking for. Mine was not listed anywhere online because the carfax listed an accident which required dent repair and repaint (no parts ordered for repair). The car still qualified for the 4yr/50k mi CPO warranty and it looks great.

I'm around 230 and I find the 3 to be very comfortable. It's easier to get in and out of than my S was.

Thanks doubleohwhat. Working on my weight, I'm sure when I get under 250, the M3 should be comfier.

If you are considering a used Model S, request a callback and speak with a Tesla sales adviser. If you can figure out with options you "need" and which options you can do without, they can find cars that are not listed anywhere online which still qualify for the CPO warranties.

I just took delivery of a Blue 2015 Model S 85 with Autopilot for about the same price range you are looking for. Mine was not listed anywhere online because the carfax listed an accident which required dent repair and repaint (no parts ordered for repair). The car still qualified for the 4yr/50k mi CPO warranty and it looks great.

fataldeadlock, thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know that was an option. Will be giving them a call.

Welcome!
There are lots of great folks on here who can answer just about any question, so you have found the right place.

I haven't been in the 3 yet, so can't gauge the roominess. However, finding an S in the $50-55k range is possible, but maybe not for a 2015 or newer. It likely depends on if you want the Tesla CPO program, or are ok with a 3rd party sale. If you aren't familiar yet, take a look at ev-cpo.com (or similar sites) that list all the available CPO S and X across the country (not just your region) to get an idea of pricing.

Good luck with the search!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Will definitely check out the site and call Tesla as suggested by fataldeadlock.

Should we presume you did not employ the air suspension raise for entry/exit? The S is significantly easier to get into and out of with either of the two higher settings.
Presume whatever you want. I think this is one of those things that can be a bit subjective. That said, even with the air suspension all the way up in the S, my fat ass can still make it into and out of the 3 easier.

Working on my weight
Same here but biscuits are evil little bastards.

• Funny
Reactions: LoL Rick
The passenger space is almost identical between the two cars. In fact the head room is better in the 3. Getting in and out of the 3 is way easier -- not just due to suspension as noted above, but also just headroom of the low sloping doorway.

Side note: I bought a CPO S last year thinking it was going to be a better choice, for the same money as the 3 new. Sold it in February for the 3. Couldn't be happier. Only thing I miss from the S is the larger cargo room, but basically everything else is better. I feel more comfortable in the seats, and I'm not small (though not quite as heavyset as you either).

• Informative
Reactions: lukex4
I’ve had a non-P RWD 85 as a loaner while the 3 was in the shop and a couple of hours of driving to trade one for the other. Our 3 does not have AP so the driving is the same. The S is bigger, heavier, smoother, quieter, more powerful, and had more space for things but no cup holders or door pockets. The S is harder to get in and out of, and this older model has harder seats. Little things have improved over time—the stalk arrangement, faster charge cable unlocking, window seals, but I do like the presenting handles with puddle lights.

I’ve had a non-P RWD 85 as a loaner while the 3 was in the shop...The S is bigger, heavier, smoother, quieter, more powerful

How would you compare the acceleration from the 3 to the RWD 85?
I'm looking to sell my S85 RWD and get the 3, but am concerned the 3 is not any faster, so I'm struggling with the decision to wait for the dual motor AWD Model 3.

Comments?

I'm a big guy too. 6'1" and a little heaver than you. I drove the model S and it was roomy but hard to get in and out of. I sat in the model 3 briefly and the main thing I was looking for was how comfortable it was for a large fella like myself. It felt pretty good to me. Definitely acceptable. Probably about the same at the S but it was much easier to get in and out of which was nice. Unless you need the extra cargo space that the model S provides with the hatchback I'd go for the model 3! I'm jealous that you've got your invite. I hope to get mine any day now.

Good luck on your weight loss goals OP...the struggle is real!

How would you compare the acceleration from the 3 to the RWD 85?
I'm looking to sell my S85 RWD and get the 3, but am concerned the 3 is not any faster, so I'm struggling with the decision to wait for the dual motor AWD Model 3.

Comments?
No meters or number for you, but the feeling is that the single RW motor is bigger/more powerful in the S. The 3 is plenty powerful for passing on the highway, lighter and sporty, but the S is a juggernaught.

The New Model 3 vs Used Model S question crossed my mind before as well... the bigger space and "presence" of the Model S is attractive. The spec that made the difference for me is that Enhanced Autopilot for the Model S didn't start until the 2016 model year... in addition, the AP2.5 hardware suite for the Model S didn't start until the later half of the 2017 model year. On the other hand, all Model 3s come with EAP AP2.5 hardware. A used 2017 Model S 75 (249 range) is $75k+ while a Model S 90 (294 range) is $90k+.

Thanks to all for your input. Called Tesla and was told that they were getting quite a few MS lease buy backs in a week or 2.

Henry82, I agree. Most of my MS searches within my budget are older (2014) with high mileage.

The wife and I came to Seattle to visit family and decided to step in the Bellevue Tesla Showroom. To my luck, they had a M3 AND was able to check it out and sit in it for and extended period. Advisors were great and very knowledgeable.

At 5-10, 295 I can say that the M3 is perfect. It's comfortable and meets my needs. Newer tech, AP 2.5, and Fed/Tax incentives it was a no brainer. I customized and ordered it on the spot. 3-6 week delivery period. Super excited!