Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 wanna be owner - need tips before ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw totally different topic. How was your experience with the Tesla customer support while ordering vehicle?

I am struggling to get my order completed and the vehicle delivered. There is no way to reach out to a live human person to talk to. The customer support number has long wait ( over 2 hours) and they never call back even if you choose the option to be called back.

Sales advisor Never returns voicemails. This online ordering is something new and so far not much help from the support team. Randomly I receive a text from their support number and when I follow up with a question no response at all.

They just send out random messages and not related to any of my previous question/concerns. Feels like talking to some robots.
Requested via text several times for someone to call me on my cell to go over some details and concerns regarding the order but that never happens. Really can’t believe these guys are getting paid to work as Tesla customer support.

I am just hoping it’s because of the Christmas holidays and being the year end, they might be getting bombarded with plenty of orders to fulfill. But still I wouldn’t rate them even 10/100 for their Cust. Service.

It was Hell. The delivery was also Hell. They had screwed up so badly that they eventually assigned a person to me who would answer the phone when I called. He was really nice.

Hang in there! It's worth it.
Well, if they can’t deliver it before 31st I will loose the $7500 credit. The whole reason I ordered it in a rush was for that credit. And if they screw it up, I am canceling the order and my $250 is gone.
Also, I read plenty of terrible reviews about the nearest two different tesla service centers. So if that’s what I have to deal with for the next 4 years or so while owning this vehicle then FML.

Well, if they can’t deliver it before 31st I will loose the $7500 credit. The whole reason I ordered it in a rush was for that credit. And if they screw it up, I am canceling the order and my $250 is gone.
Also, I read plenty of terrible reviews about the nearest two different tesla service centers. So if that’s what I have to deal with for the next 4 years or so while owning this vehicle then FML.
They are highly motivated to delivery your car before the end of the year. I think Elon said the numbers for Q4 are not looking great and they want to avoid yet another big hit to TSLA. They will likely blow off any non-essential questions to concentrate on moving as many cars as possible. This may well be their biggest end-of-quarter push ever.

As for service centers, I had a very good experience at the El Paso service center. I begrudge the 5 hour round trip but the people were great. I was late and it was not a problem (the car navigated to the wrong location). They fixed everything they were supposed to fix and checked other stuff. They charged up the car for me. While I was there I was offered a loaner to drive around and I was given a small conference room where I could veg out.

Where is your car coming from?

Most of my early experience here was in this massive thread:

This was when there was a huge backlog of cars and it was when wait times were starting to stretch over a month. There were a lot of concerned people and there was a tremendous amount of support. It made a big difference and really helped me through the anxiety.

I encourage you to try to find a similar thread for your car. Maybe this one:

Oh you ordered a custom one, that will be really tough this quarter. You'd have most certainly gotten it already with an inventory car vs custom order.

They are highly motivated to delivery your car before the end of the year. I think Elon said the numbers for Q4 are not looking great and they want to avoid yet another big hit to TSLA. They will likely blow off any non-essential questions to concentrate on moving as many cars as possible. This may well be their biggest end-of-quarter push ever.

As for service centers, I had a very good experience at the El Paso service center. I begrudge the 5 hour round trip but the people were great. I was late and it was not a problem (the car navigated to the wrong location). They fixed everything they were supposed to fix and checked other stuff. They charged up the car for me. While I was there I was offered a loaner to drive around and I was given a small conference room where I could veg out.

Where is your car coming from?

Most of my early experience here was in this massive thread:

This was when there was a huge backlog of cars and it was when wait times were starting to stretch over a month. There were a lot of concerned people and there was a tremendous amount of support. It made a big difference and really helped me through the anxiety.

I encourage you to try to find a similar thread for your car. Maybe this one:

Mine is part of the local inventory. And it’s located 25 miles away from my home. But the problem is with the financing. There is some paperwork screw up and since I cannot talk to a live person, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on.
I was under the impression that once you place an order, you will have a dedicated sales person to talk to. But that guy never answer his phone calls or return calls and I don’t have another POC. So I just have to wait and expect them to reach out to me.

Mine is part of the local inventory. And it’s located 25 miles away from my home.
Excellent!

But the problem is with the financing. There is some paperwork screw up and since I cannot talk to a live person, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on.
Yes. that sounds like a problem.

I was under the impression that once you place an order, you will have a dedicated sales person to talk to. But that guy never answer his phone calls or return calls and I don’t have another POC. So I just have to wait and expect them to reach out to me.
I placed my order on the web site so I never got a sales associate assigned to me. That was part of the problem.

It seems to be even harder to get in touch with people now than it was in the summer of 2021. There should be a window of opportunity to talk with someone when they are ready to deliver the car and they want to get paid. One problem I had is they didn't send me the paperwork I needed to register the car. There was a one or two month window and the deadline was looming. There was also a problem with an item I ordered from their store never being shipped. There might have been another issue at that same time. I was able to get in touch with humans but they all said they couldn't help me. Eventually I got through to a person who solved all the problems in less than ten minutes.

If you can't get in touch with a human then that makes it harder. Maybe you could drive to a service center so you can talk with a human. If there are several nearby then you have several shots at finding someone who might help you.

Reactions: nitynity
Another question.
My mobile connector has been shipped, but don’t know when it will arrive. I was hoping to use the dryer outlet but turned out it’s 1430 and the 1450 adapter won’t be compatible. Does that mean I need to buy a 1430 adapter to even use the dryer outlet with the mobile connector?

Another question.
My mobile connector has been shipped, but don’t know when it will arrive. I was hoping to use the dryer outlet but turned out it’s 1430 and the 1450 adapter won’t be compatible. Does that mean I need to buy a 1430 adapter to even use the dryer outlet with the mobile connector?
Yes. The 14-30 adapter can also be combined with a tt-30 adapter for some campgrounds.

Ok I have a question regarding the charging time at super charger for model 3 rwd. I know it max out at 32A. So how long it takes to fully charge from 0-100% at supercharger?
That max is surely only for the internal AC charger. It does not apply to DC fast charging. Tesmanian says you can get 50% charge in 15 minutes, 80% in 30 minutes,
and 100% in 55 minutes. It's slower but not ridiculously slower.

Ok so I ordered my M3RWD and got the delivery scheduled for next Tuesday. But the MC is out of stock. I did get the 10k miles credit. But the nearest super charger is 18 miles away. What are my options?

What about the accessories like all weather liners and stuff? Should I buy it from Tesla or aftermarket? What other items do I need to purchase? Any recommendations?
You can pick up a 16amp J1772 L1/L2 charger and a J1772 to Tesla adapter for ~$200-$250.

You will gain about 2.5% SOC/hr using 16amps at`115V via a NEMA 5-20 outlet and about 6% SOC/hr using a NEMA 6-20 outlet and 16amps at ~235v,

Last edited:
Ok I have a question regarding the charging time at super charger for model 3 rwd. I know it max out at 32A. So how long it takes to fully charge from 0-100% at supercharger?
I can charge from ~10% - 98% in about 40min at a V3 SC or less with my 2022 M3 RWD. ~10% - 80% is about 20-25min, IIRC.

I would also suggest getting the CCS1 to Tesla adapter to increase your charging options.

• Informative
Reactions: nitynity and BitJam
OK I’m not sure if you guys would be able to answer this or not but just asking anyways. Are the sales tax on the Tesla purchase after the $7500 credit or before? So if the msrp is 55k and I pay 48k after credit what amount do I pay sales tax on?

OK I’m not sure if you guys would be able to answer this or not but just asking anyways. Are the sales tax on the Tesla purchase after the $7500 credit or before? So if the msrp is 55k and I pay 48k after credit what amount do I pay sales tax on?
The EV tax credits may be different (IDK) but since Tesla is having a sale, you only pay tax on the sale price, $48K. This was confirmed (such as it is) by people on Twitter replying to WholeMarsBlog:

Thanks, I totally agree with you! Taking delivery on the 10th of this month. Just got the discount and it affects tax as well on the car so actually getting a little over 4k off now instead of the speculation of next year and needing to worry about income limits, etc.
Plus save on sales tax and DMV fees
And confirmed here on TMC:

Total sales tax also lowered due to adjusted car price.

If you scroll down they say they saw this in the app under "Make your Final Payment" and on the Tesla.com site.
This is a really good deal. Hang in there and give it your best shot. It's all you can do.

Ok, planning to get a Model 3 SR or (LR? Haven't decided yet.)for the wifey.
Daily driver, 60-70 miles commute (3 days/week/highway + city driving) and 45 miles (2 days/week/city driving), . What are the realistic mileage limit compared to 272/358 EPA on SR/LR? Strictly used for daily commute alone and no long road trips. So not sure if it's worth the extra 11k on LR or just get the SR and HPWC instead of mobile connector. LR wont be eligible for EV credit with MSRP, but will get the $3750 if delivered before 31 Dec 2022. If not get the SR next year for the EV credit.

Just wanted to find out the best bang for the buck. Need a new vehicle by end of Jan atleast.
Any tips/advice from Model 3 owners will be greatly appreciated.
Get the Long Range. How will you be recharging. at home?

Get the Long Range. How will you be recharging. at home?
No. RWD. I haven’t received the mobile connector yet, though the Tesla website says package shipped. And I received the UPS tracking number. But based on the tracking status, UPS hasn’t picked up the package yet. Only label created on 23 Dec. I have no idea what’s going on. I probably have to use the PlugShare app or the Tesla supercharger (18 miles away) until I get the connector. I might keep my existing vehicle for couple more weeks at least before selling.
Sent an email asking about the update to Tesla online support and got an automated response saying they will respond in five business days. Lol

Last edited: