Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3s, HW3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody knows. At this point that seems unlikely, since the HW3 isn't released to anyone yet. Either you'll get a HUGE delay to your car order (and get HW3) or you'll get HW2.5 and will have it retrofitted eventually.

Regarding should you wait: No. Why would you wait? There's currently no benefits to HW3 so who cares.

Reactions: preilly44
If we order a Model 3 today with FSD, will it have HW3?
Does it make sense to wait to order until HW3 is available?

Thanks!

If you buy the FSD feature then Tesla will update your car to what they are now advertising as FSD capability (not really full self driving but that's another topic) whether that requires new hardware or not.

Tesla is testing the new hardware in employee cars so I expect they will start mass production of the new in-house GPU in all new production sometime in the next few months.

Reactions: OPRCE and rajivpsf
Thank you for your replies.
I called Tesla and they said that any car built after Oct 2016 won't required a hardware upgrade for FSD.
Is this correct?
I guess, I just want to be sure I don't buy a car now and then 2-3 months later HW 3 is available and has better tech?

Maybe foolish but I am kind of hoping some light is shed on this during the Model Y reveal next week.

I called Tesla and they said that any car built after Oct 2016 won't required a hardware upgrade for FSD.
Is this correct?
I guess, I just want to be sure I don't buy a car now and then 2-3 months later HW 3 is available and has better tech?

The only way to be sure of that is to wait until what you actually want is released for sale.

Tesla's done a lot of predicting and promising over the last few years, and some of it hasn't worked out.

For some time now it's been clear that AP2 cars would need at least a computer upgrade to do FSD. Tesla made it clear that the computer in those cars is designed to be replaceable with an upgraded version, and has said that folks who bought FSD would get the upgrade for free.

Reactions: C141medic
Maybe foolish but I am kind of hoping some light is shed on this during the Model Y reveal next week.

My guess, too. If they decided that new sensors would help we'll see them on the Y, and the event would be a convenient time to announce any news they might have.

If they have AP3 hardware in the prototypes they're giving test rides in and the FSD code is as advanced as we've been promised, they could even give the test rides driverless. Wouldn't that make a big splash...

FSD will require HW3, but Tesla will upgrade you to HW3 as part of the price of FSD. So, the price of FSD won't change. Your car is HW3 compatible. Waiting for HW3 pre-installed will just save you a trip to the dealer later.

• Informative
Reactions: rajivpsf
My advice...wait for a Model 3 refresh.

Joking aside, Tesla / Elon have said the HW3 upgrade for a Model 3 is a “simple” swap out of the AP computer.

I would take this news with a grain of salt as the same was said for AP2 cars too. However a few tech-savvy forum members have found evidence that AP2 cars have different cameras and front-facing radar making this upgrade much more complex than Tesla has led us to believe.

At the end of the day, it’s really about how much value you see in any potential future feature vs. what you would be purchasing today.

• Informative
Reactions: alienranch
FSD will require HW3, but Tesla will upgrade you to HW3 as part of the price of FSD. So, the price of FSD won't change. Your car is HW3 compatible. Waiting for HW3 pre-installed will just save you a trip to the dealer later.

It also means that if somehow Tesla is able to pull a rabbit out of their hat and get HW 2.5 to do what they are now calling "FSD" then they won't upgrade the hardware.

Remember that less than two years ago Tesla was touting the super-computing capability of HW 2.5 and assured us it was all that could possibly be needed for the car to operate autonomously.

Reactions: OPRCE
...Remember that less than two years ago Tesla was touting the super-computing capability of HW 2.5 and assured us it was all that could possibly be needed for the car to operate autonomously.

I think some are more concerned about the hardware than the function.

To me, what counts is the function and it doesn't matter what hardware it will take to perform the function I bought for.

That hardware could be HW2, HW2.5, HW3.0 and who knows whether HW3.0 could do it and you'll need HW4?

If I insist on paying for hardware only, then it's a mistake!

Generally speaking, a .5 version upgrade of hardware of software indicates modest improvements but not a totally radical design change. Perhaps Tesla doesn’t think this way, but I would guess that if V2.5 was intended to be radically better than V2, they would have called it V3.

As for when V3 will actually begin to ship in production cars...who knows. Elon has made predictions that have missed the mark by several years. Only time will tell on this one. I wouldn’t pass up the remaining tax credit by waiting past June 30 if you want the car at this point. It could be years before FSD becomes a reality, both in terms of technology breakthroughs and regulatory approval.

Generally speaking, a .5 version upgrade of hardware of software indicates modest improvements but not a totally radical design change. Perhaps Tesla doesn’t think this way, but I would guess that if V2.5 was intended to be radically better than V2, they would have called it V3.

As for when V3 will actually begin to ship in production cars...who knows. Elon has made predictions that have missed the mark by several years. Only time will tell on this one. I wouldn’t pass up the remaining tax credit by waiting past June 30 if you want the car at this point. It could be years before FSD becomes a reality, both in terms of technology breakthroughs and regulatory approval.

I also wouldn't make a decision based on getting a tax credit or not. Tesla pushed folks HARD to buy late last year because the tax credit was going to be reduced and they insisted the net cost of the car would go up. They subsequently obliterated any advantage of the tax credit via massive price cuts and cuts to autopilot/FSD pricing. Should they be lowering prices on the cars over-time - yes. But they egregiously misrepresent the truth time and time again. So just buy when you're ready for a new car.

Is this correct?

They might mean that no new sensors (cameras, radar, ultrasound) will be needed, but pretty sure a better computer WILL be needed. That's what most refer to as HW3. But, Elon has stated that the computer will be easily upgraded on older cars if needed.

Reactions: OPRCE and Matias

LOTS of assumptions here. There has been nothing official in writing saying you get HW3 with the purchase of FSD. There is also not much in writing that tells you what FSD includes (other than the options that were already part of EAP and one day the ability to see stop signs and traffic lights).

Reactions: rajivpsf
LOTS of assumptions here. There has been nothing official in writing saying you get HW3 with the purchase of FSD. There is also not much in writing that tells you what FSD includes (other than the options that were already part of EAP and one day the ability to see stop signs and traffic lights).

When it comes to what to expect from FSD, we're all basically making up answers at this point. I guess that qualifies us to work for Tesla customer service

Anyone with a European Model 3 checked to see if there is HW3? Or should it be obvious from the order codes that it isn't shipping yet? I got my Model 3 two days ago VIN21xxxx in Europe and wouldn't mind volunteering to check. As an engineer I should be capable to get to it. Though I won't if it isn't worth it at all.

Reactions: OPRCE