Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S 60. How big is my battery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my S60 last week. The Delivery person said to set my charge limit at 90 and plug in every night. She said a charge limit of 100 was fine for trips. That is what I have been doing for my 60kWh battery.
But, if my battery is really a software limited 75 kWh, then setting my charge limit to 100% only charges the battery to 80%. If this is correct, why not leave it at 100, home and away?

(BTW, how do you get the the car info signatures in the posts?)

Just picked up my S60 last week. The Delivery person said to set my charge limit at 90 and plug in every night. She said a charge limit of 100 was fine for trips. That is what I have been doing for my 60kWh battery.
But, if my battery is really a software limited 75 kWh, then setting my charge limit to 100% only charges the battery to 80%. If this is correct, why not leave it at 100, home and away?

(BTW, how do you get the the car info signatures in the posts?)
You've got it! So long as it remains a 60 the 100% is just fine. Anyway, the Tesloop S referred to in another recent thread went 200,000 mikes, charging 100% every time and still had 94%!capacity after that. In short, don't worry about it!

You're right. Of course, if you don't have any long trips planned, lower is still a little better. I have mine at 80%normally (75D) - I'm not going to abruptly need more than 190 miles, and if I do, there are superchargers all around me.

The closer you can hold the battery to 50%, the better for it (but the difference is likely trivial once you get away from the 90+% range, which you can't reach in a new 60 anyway.)

Reactions: jbcarioca
The closer you can hold the battery to 50%, the better for it (but the difference is likely trivial once you get away from the 90+% range, which you can't reach in a new 60 anyway.)
Despite clear evidence that Tesla has solved the problems of over and undercharging, for the most part anyway, I still behave as you do. If my car will sit for some time, as it does for months at a time, I set it at 50%. On a daily use basis I normally set it at 60% or so and charge up to that every day. On trips I do whatever feels good, range crge or 80% or so, depending bon how far I will go and how confident I am of weather and local charging. After 27,000 miles I still have the same rated range I did when it was new. Rationally I know I need not worry; non-rationally I still want to baby my batteries.

It's better for Tesla to keep the message simple. One answer for all models is simple and it doesn't cause problems for the average user.

Of course, they also benefit from the upsell. But I believe it's more about keep it simple.