Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Tail lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tech is here to mount my trailer hitch and said that the new amber taillights should work fine since he had a customer with one of each from the factory and did the swap to a new one. He also said that the connector is flipped 180 degrees on the new lights.

My late July MY has 4 wires in the right place while the old lights only have 3 pins -- see posts above. Time to order!
My July Conn back.JPG

Tech is here to mount my trailer hitch and said that the new amber taillights should work fine since he had a customer with one of each from the factory and did the swap to a new one. He also said that the connector is flipped 180 degrees on the new lights.

My late July MY has 4 wires in the right place while the old lights only have 3 pins -- see posts above. Time to order!
View attachment 601310

So if I read your post right...your late-July build has the "new" wiring which works with the old or new lights? You just have to move the pins in the connector?

So if I read your post right...your late-July build has the "new" wiring which works with the old or new lights? You just have to move the pins in the connector?
But did he say he would re-program your car to match the new lights if you installed them?
Yes, my 324xx has all 4 wires which he says will work with both versions. The connector just flips 180 degrees when it is plugged in -- that's why it looks like the wires are out of place in an earlier post which shows the pins of both taillights side by side.

He didn't say anything about reprogramming and that it should be plug and play. I wonder if the added grey wire is the "programming wire" which tells the car what's plugged in?

Yes, my 324xx has all 4 wires which he says will work with both versions. The connector just flips 180 degrees when it is plugged in -- that's why it looks like the wires are out of place in an earlier post which shows the pins of both taillights side by side.

He didn't say anything about reprogramming and that it should be plug and play. I wonder if the added grey wire is the "programming wire" which tells the car what's plugged in?

Interesting!!

I see that on the parts website, it no longer lists the "global" taillights, only the SAE. I wonder if they consolidated the number, or if it's a bug? I'm ready to order some!!

Both of my tail lights are being replaced due to condensation and the tech said that Tesla will only replace like for like based on the VIN. So they are keeping stock of both and I cannot upgrade my lights as part of a warranty replacement.

My SA quoted $500 installed for the new lights which are special order only. Worth it to me, so will get it done next week.

Last edited:
My Model Y shipped with one of each!View attachment 601321
What in the what?! Funny / sad / crazy they installed one of each...but on the bright side it makes it super easy to see the diff between the old and new lights! haha

Speaking of tail light condensation, what's the official verdict from Tesla? Did they engineer them to allow for some condensation or none at all?

I had some on my taillight when I took delivery and the SA said it's designed that way and pointed out the pinholes in the taillight that were there to let condensation out...but I see some people getting them replaced.

Here is the invoice for the new tail lights along with photos of the old ones. I will add photos of the new ones as soon as they are installed.

screenshot_656.jpg Invoice showing part numbers and installation fee

1 Headlights.jpg Headlights on. Outer C and reverse-C segments lit.
3 Brakes.jpg Brakes on - Center segment lit when brakes activated. Outer segment off.
2 Turn Signals.jpg Four-way flashers on (left and right turn signals). Same center segment as brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jf64k and MP3Mike
Here is the invoice for the new tail lights along with photos of the old ones. I will add photos of the new ones as soon as they are installed.

View attachment 605584 Invoice showing part numbers and installation fee

View attachment 605592 Headlights on. Outer C and reverse-C segments lit.
View attachment 605590 Brakes on - Center bar lit when brakes activated. Outer segments unchanged. Yeah, I should have turned off the headlights to make it more obvious.
View attachment 605591 Four-way flashers on (left and right turn signals). Same center segment as brakes.

That's not bad at all...easily worth the $40/ea for installation. Thanks for sharing!!

ETA: Did you set this up at the SC, or through the app??

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Phenom
I am confused. You bought the new lights to have them installed without doing anything to the existing wiring harness to get the [C] brake lights working? So you basically paid $400 for amber turn-indicators? o_O

I am confused. You bought the new lights to have them installed without doing anything to the existing wiring harness to get the [C] brake lights working? So you basically paid $400 for amber turn-indicators? o_O
That's not bad at all...easily worth the $40/ea for installation. Thanks for sharing!!

ETA: Did you set this up at the SC, or through the app??

$500 for amber turn signals and the C brake lights when stopping -- that little bar is puny! I scheduled though the app by listing the part numbers that I wanted installed. We did have a few texts back and forth.

To each their own, I guess. *shrug*. This past weekend I finally got a chance to see what my white Model Y would look like with amber turn-indicators when one drove ahead of me. Gotta say, it did not impress me. It made me actually love the all-red look even more. I'm with @tomagucci , I like it OG. And I don't think I could afford ~$540 after tax to just switch light aesthetics lol. But like I said, to each their own. We all love our Teslas so whatever ya gotta do to keep lovin' it.

Reactions: tomagucci
$500 for amber turn signals and the C brake lights when stopping -- that little bar is puny! I scheduled though the app by listing the part numbers that I wanted installed. We did have a few texts back and forth.
Oh, my bad. I didn't see a picture of the C brake lights working in your post. Not sure how it would work though because you have a 3-pin harness and the new lights work with a new 4-pin harness. The brake signal that used go to the mini-bar would have to go to the [C] lights and I just don't see how the signal would be split. But if the new light cluster works as you say with the existing 3-pin harness, I am sure there will be more folks who will want to retrofit.

Oh, my bad. I didn't see a picture of the C brake lights working in your post. Not sure how it would work though because you have a 3-pin harness and the new lights work with a new 4-pin harness. The brake signal that used go to the mini-bar would have to go to the [C] lights and I just don't see how the signal would be split. But if the new light cluster works as you say with the existing 3-pin harness, I am sure there will be more folks who will want to retrofit.

After a certain VIN (not sure what #, but seems to be late-July builds) they include the correct/new 4-pin connector/wiring. The new connector works with old and new taillights (See post #101 ^)