Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a M3 loaner for the weekend while they replaced the rear glass for a bad defroster. It was old, RWD LR, loud rear motor. Loved the handling, had a great time zipping around for the weekend.

Not so fun getting in and out, too low, and when I got my Y back, it just felt right. A bit more room, up a bit, and handles fine. I really appreciate everything about the Y.

The 3 was fun for the weekend, but like a jet ski, I don't see the day in day out appeal. Fun for a weekend every 5 or 10 years, then I feel like OK, I did all I could with that, no need to do that all the time.

The only NVH complaint I have with our 9/21 built Y are the small harsh bumps. Can't wait to replace the struts with new style or aftermarket. Wife won't let me spend the $$$ until they wear out, she's too pragmatic, even though she hates the harsh bumps too.

I was looking at it from the cost perspective. MSLR costs a little less, while the Plaid a little more, but both in the same general price range of the CTS-5 BW.

Two M3Ps is nice, but if it was me I’d enjoy a little more variety. That’s why we didn’t end up with two Model Y’s even though I love my MYP and consider it the best in its class.
I have to agree with your "a bit more variety" statement.
Just hard to pass up the attractive pricing per horsepower, overall performance and tech

Last edited:
Got a M3 loaner for the weekend while they replaced the rear glass for a bad defroster. It was old, RWD LR, loud rear motor. Loved the handling, had a great time zipping around for the weekend.

Not so fun getting in and out, too low, and when I got my Y back, it just felt right. A bit more room, up a bit, and handles fine. I really appreciate everything about the Y.

The 3 was fun for the weekend, but like a jet ski, I don't see the day in day out appeal. Fun for a weekend every 5 or 10 years, then I feel like OK, I did all I could with that, no need to do that all the time.

The only NVH complaint I have with our 9/21 built Y are the small harsh bumps. Can't wait to replace the struts with new style or aftermarket. Wife won't let me spend the $$$ until they wear out, she's too pragmatic, even though she hates the harsh bumps too.
ok, now I'm back on thinking about MYP - thanks :rolleyes:🤣

I have to agree with your "a bit more variety" statement.
Just hard to pass up the attractive pricing per horsepower, overall performance and tech
The M3P and MYP are so similar in price - within $1k. I too love the go-cart feeling and handling of the M3P, but it's definitely lower/harder to get in and out - especially the rear seats. The MYP is just easier to get in, load stuff and a bit higher front end to avoid those front concrete curb stoppers. The entire glass roof is awesome, but IMO will require a shade for the Texas summers.

Given they are very close in performance, aero drag and similar efficiency - I'm considering upgrading up and downsizing to one vehicle - MYP just makes more sense in my position.

In comparison - My ICE 21' Acura RDX Aspec AWD loves $4/gal petrol and only averages 20mpg with a light foot. Rides much harsher than the demo 23' MYP I took on a test drive, not as planted as the MYP due to weight up higher and standard brakes that are just adequate. The acceleration difference was night and day - and the RDX with the Honda Type R engine, AWD and 10 speed auto is no slouch. Biggest difference is inside, the RDX feels very premium with all the bells and whistles - plus feels like it has the strength of a Mac-truck.

Seen the Lexus RZ 450e Luxury AWD in person this weekend (no test drives allow) was super premium on the inside and typical high end Lexus build quality. However, range is only 220-225 mile, slow charging (150KW ish) and $67K (not sure if that will qualify for a IRA EV rebate). Which seems to miss the mark IMO of at least 275 range and can charge at a faster rate like 200-250 kWh.

Last edited:
We have both the Jan 22’ M3 LR/boost and July 22’ MYP.

While the 3 is zippier and all out more fun to drive, the MYP is hands down the better bang for the buck.

This says it all…coming back from a soccer tournament 500km away after 3 days..the kid passed out lol. 6’ long mattress made for the Y.
Kid is 5’9 and was an easy bed for him. Until this moment, I never truly understood the full value Vs the 3. Its larger (2” wider, 2” more leg room in rear, reclining seats, full glass top, way better visibility and the ride is a bit more refined imo. Now we want to try the camper mode one night and literally sleep while staring at stars through the glass :)

If you want to improve your MYP ride, reduce the psi to 38/39. Factory will likely be 44/45 on your test drive. Also consider upgrading your tires to a 275/295/35 or 265/40’s all around for improved rubber and cushion. Makes a big diff.

7C9BE843-9612-4F74-805C-DFFD8E7F54EE.jpeg
9C349A1B-4A82-41AF-A702-F6E1CB3C7CCE.jpeg

And then get stuck with no Tesla Supercharging network? I would not buy any non Tesla EV if you are unable to charge at home all the time. Any travel with a non Tesla EV is a royal pain having to rely on non Tesla Superchargers. Like Tesla better anyhow too.

And the GV60 is noticeably smaller with less cargo space, less range compared to the base Model Y AWD and costs $20,000 more after rebates. If you are going for value and space, the Model Y is tough to beat.

Reactions: vickh
Being that I'm no spring chicken anymore, I can tell you that I love the seating height of the MY vs M3. And I just drove both this past weekend. I did not like getting in and out of the M3 and my wife's BMW F30 is no better. Feels like I'm riding on a skate board.

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is the battery hump in the driver's footwell in the M3. I use Hold mode when stopped at stop lights and usually I put my right foot on the floor in the MYP to wait for the signal to turn green. When I drove the M3 I found it to be a little bit of a nuisance to have to step up when moving my foot off the pedal and onto the floor. The MYP has a flat floor in the driver's footwell and I do prefer that over having a hump that many other EVs seem to have in the footwell area.

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is the battery hump in the driver's footwell in the M3. I use Hold mode when stopped at stop lights and usually I put my right foot on the floor in the MYP to wait for the signal to turn green. When I drove the M3 I found it to be a little bit of a nuisance to have to step up when moving my foot off the pedal and onto the floor. The MYP has a flat floor in the driver's footwell and I do prefer that over having a hump that many other EVs seem to have in the footwell area.
Things no one tells you…learned something new today. Thanks!

Just came from a Model 3 LR (2020), MYLR is an upgrade. I loved my M3LR until the last few days ago since I took delivery of my 2023 MYLR. Im by far much more comfortable and happier with my MYLR. Ride quality is excellent, the M3LR handling was "sportier" in my opinion, while the MYLR is much more smoother. Is very spacious and comfortable. No doubt in my mind this was the right choice for me. You should start with a test drive, I did 2 total test drives to be certain before I ordered one. Now my wife ordered one too haha.

We have both the Jan 22’ M3 LR/boost and July 22’ MYP.

While the 3 is zippier and all out more fun to drive, the MYP is hands down the better bang for the buck.

This says it all…coming back from a soccer tournament 500km away after 3 days..the kid passed out lol. 6’ long mattress made for the Y.
Kid is 5’9 and was an easy bed for him. Until this moment, I never truly understood the full value Vs the 3. Its larger (2” wider, 2” more leg room in rear, reclining seats, full glass top, way better visibility and the ride is a bit more refined imo. Now we want to try the camper mode one night and literally sleep while staring at stars through the glass :)

If you want to improve your MYP ride, reduce the psi to 38/39. Factory will likely be 44/45 on your test drive. Also consider upgrading your tires to a 275/295/35 or 265/40’s all around for improved rubber and cushion. Makes a big diff.

View attachment 931670

Good info! Can you recommend some tires. Does wider also help w/ curb rash?

Just came from a Model 3 LR (2020), MYLR is an upgrade. I loved my M3LR until the last few days ago since I took delivery of my 2023 MYLR. Im by far much more comfortable and happier with my MYLR. Ride quality is excellent, the M3LR handling was "sportier" in my opinion, while the MYLR is much more smoother. Is very spacious and comfortable. No doubt in my mind this was the right choice for me. You should start with a test drive, I did 2 total test drives to be certain before I ordered one. Now my wife ordered one too haha.
100% agree with this. I have a 2021 M3 and now a 2023 MY. I don't even want to drive the M3 now. The MY is much more comfortable and feels better to drive. I just prefer it more. YMMV.

Good info! Can you recommend some tires. Does wider also help w/ curb rash?
A few options you have. Going to a 40 ratio tire will increase the sidewall a bit and may be cushier. Still similar sidewall/rim exposure. Wider the tire from stock - more resistance and reduced range.

Here is a site you can see the size difference between tires.

OPTIONS:
1) Rim Blades or alloy gators will give a little more side wall protection. Less expensive than a new set of tires.
2) Seen an add for this product - MagBak RimCase - Wheel Protector for Tesla Model 3 & Y (4 Wheel Pack)
3) Stay away from the curbs - and/or just get a rim repaired when you scrape it.

Last 3 Vehicles with low profile tires and rim exposure - only scraped 2 - got both fixed for about $150/each. Learned to stay away from curbs and use the cameras/mirrors much more.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Purchased an M3P in December and love it so much, today I cancelled an order for a "premium luxury" legacy automaker product that I've waited for the last 2 years for.

About to jump into another Tesla.

Same dilemma - M3, or MY.

Leaning towards performance - which there are none around Chicago in the Y trim.
Don't really care much about the extra space but it would be nice I suppose.

What's holding me off is the fact that my nephew has a '22 MYP and hates it.
When I drive it - I think it sounds clunkier than my '23 M3P. Kind of like things are loose in the back
He's telling me that since - suspension got upgraded tho . Is that true?
Are you talking about BMW i4? :) Because that is what I did after 1 year of waiting. I have realizied, I don’t want to wait other year and bought Y LR Quicksilver which was in stock at my dealer next day from Berlin factory. And now I’m with family on 1500km trip and I’m so glad I did Tedla way with its Supercharger infrastructure. I realized how important it is, when I really tried it. So confident. At least at western part of Europe.