Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really bites. The Auburn/Chardon location is along the usual route between NYC and eastern New England (I-84/I-90/I-495). Without that SC, driving from NYC to Maine you need to detour either through Chicopee or East Greenwich, neither of which is how a rational driver would go.

I get the feeling that these decisions are being made by people in California who have absolutely no sense for regional traffic flow.

I didn't realize that Sturbridge (Auburn/Chardon) was the one to disappear, particularly since a) it was earlier on the map, b) it was mentioned by someone (George?) in a news article (Globe?), and c) there were recent reports that it and Rhode Island were coming very soon.

I think we need to raise our voices on this, particularly those of us who have been actively supporting Tesla (the anti-Broder drive crew, those of us testifying at the State House last month). I went online last night and put in a request for Hooksett on the Supercharger site link: Supercharging. I suggest we all bombard that site, but also go straight to people at higher levels.

This really bites. The Auburn/Chardon location is along the usual route between NYC and eastern New England (I-84/I-90/I-495). Without that SC, driving from NYC to Maine you need to detour either through Chicopee or East Greenwich, neither of which is how a rational driver would go.

That's my route NY to Provincetown MA. If I take 95 because of traffic that can take more than an extra hour in an ice vehicle. Looks like Tesla doesn't want me to take my MS to the Cape. The last 40miles has no public charging. I generally put 30 thousand miles on my cars a year. Mostly trips back and forth to the Cape. 6 months and only 4700 miles. That's with 1600 mi trip for a wedding. Glad I kept my Prius!

Guys

In another thread, someone emailed Tesla about missing superchargers and got a response that said some of the "dots" didn't transfer over to the new map... Perhaps this is one of the cases... Lets wait and see - so much had been talked about the Sturbridge charger - even in news articles online...

Aaron

Guys

In another thread, someone emailed Tesla about missing superchargers and got a response that said some of the "dots" didn't transfer over to the new map... Perhaps this is one of the cases... Lets wait and see - so much had been talked about the Sturbridge charger - even in news articles online...

Aaron

+1 I would not read too much into the 2014/2015 maps. Michigan had several missing dots as well, and it appears to be an oversight. Below is the Tesla response/link:

Thank you very much for your email and feedback.

As you saw, we updated our maps yesterday and there are a few dots that did not transfer over in the process. The dot showing the Detroit to St. Joseph route along I-94 is one of the routes that was accidentally left off of the map and is being corrected on the backend. This route is certainly a priority for us and you will be able to drive from Detroit/Canada to Chicago as planned in 2014. We do also plan to include a route that enables Cleveland to Buffalo—stay tuned for more on that in 2014.

Your intuition is correct and you will be happy to know that we are keeping station density to roughly 130 miles apart to account for energy usage in a 60kWh battery in all winter conditions and elevation. We greatly appreciate your feedback; feel free to email us directly at [email protected] with any additional questions.

If you have specific location suggestions for future sites, please tell us about them here—our developers use this database first when scouting new Supercharger locations.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements (there are lots more coming soon across the US!). Again, we appreciate your enthusiasm in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 239

That's my route NY to Provincetown MA. If I take 95 because of traffic that can take more than an extra hour in an ice vehicle. Looks like Tesla doesn't want me to take my MS to the Cape. The last 40miles has no public charging. I generally put 30 thousand miles on my cars a year. Mostly trips back and forth to the Cape. 6 months and only 4700 miles. That's with 1600 mi trip for a wedding. Glad I kept my Prius!
We go out to Provincetown a lot also and, at least so far, it doesn't look good for using a Tesla. I suggested moving the RI Supercharger to Mansfield, but apparently that's not going to happen. Instead it looks like the RI one will be south of Providence which makes it unusable for people coming from the north or west going to the outer Cape.

Even if the Supercharger in Auburn is reinstated, getting out to Provincetown and back would be pretty difficult at 151 miles each way. From E. Greenwich, RI, it's 131 miles each way which is just barely doable in an 85 in good weather and conservative driving.

Bottom line is that unless some charging facilities are installed in Provincetown, getting there in a Tesla will require several hours charging along the way at one of the 30A public chargers on the lower Cape or off Cape.

We go out to Provincetown a lot also and, at least so far, it doesn't look good for using a Tesla. I suggested moving the RI Supercharger to Mansfield, but apparently that's not going to happen. Instead it looks like the RI one will be south of Providence which makes it unusable for people coming from the north or west going to the outer Cape.

Even if the Supercharger in Auburn is reinstated, getting out to Provincetown and back would be pretty difficult at 151 miles each way. From E. Greenwich, RI, it's 131 miles each way which is just barely doable in an 85 in good weather and conservative driving.

Bottom line is that unless some charging facilities are installed in Provincetown, getting there in a Tesla will require several hours charging along the way at one of the 30A public chargers on the lower Cape or off Cape.

This is why we need to keep pressuring the Provincetown Government to install public charging stations in Town. Myself and others have posted about this in the past and someone even posted the email address of the person to contact but nothing has happened!

I go out every summer for a week, so plugging into 110 is fine - and the Providence Supercharger will help me get there since I am coming from the south. But thinking about you guys and probably other EV/Hybrid drivers that would even like to go out for the day, this would be invaluable!

I would be completely willing to join in with other Model S owners, starting fully charged somewhere in MA, to go out to PTown to meet with the proper people. If we get several Model S owners... We can show them what they are missing!

Aaron

Does Tesla understand the importance of Sturbridge?? That is a perfect location for anyone heading from CT/NY to Boston, NH, and ME, and vice-versa. I thought they understood which is why they took the rare step of actually talking about the location publicly before opening it. Darien and Milford are nice - I know they put them in there because they were redoing the rest areas anyway. But with Greenwich and Sturbridge, I think Darien and Milford will get much less use. Most people traveling from NYC, NJ and points south as well as Westchester, would travel the Merritt to Boston. Only those heading to RI, or points on the CT shore (like Mystic Aquarium and Seaport - great trip by the way!) would go along I95.

If they are having trouble with Sturbridge MA, they could put it on I84 in CT near the MA border. Would not be as good since people traveling in I90 between Boston and Albany would have to detour a bit to get to it. My preferences for location would be: Charlton I90 rest area (need to have one on each side though), then Sturbridge, then CT in I84. The one drawback with Sturbridge, even though it is right off I90/I84, is that exit can be a bitch during peak times. Not an issue for me since only twice in 35 years I traveled on I90 West and didn't get off at that exit, but for those that travel Boston/Albany it would be annoying to wait to get off just to wait to get back on...after waiting to charge.

Sorry for the long post - just hoping the "Calfornia guys" have a couple of Yankees on the team. :) :)

Aaron - we met at Darien in August, right after I got my MS. I learned more in our 10 minute chat than I had in 4 weeks of driving the car!! I see you make frequent trips to Boston - with just Strubridge, you could do a round trip Westchester-Boston-Westchester, couldn't you?

Does Tesla understand the importance of Sturbridge?? That is a perfect location for anyone heading from CT/NY to Boston, NH, and ME, and vice-versa. I thought they understood which is why they took the rare step of actually talking about the location publicly before opening it. Darien and Milford are nice - I know they put them in there because they were redoing the rest areas anyway. But with Greenwich and Sturbridge, I think Darien and Milford will get much less use. Most people traveling from NYC, NJ and points south as well as Westchester, would travel the Merritt to Boston. Only those heading to RI, or points on the CT shore (like Mystic Aquarium and Seaport - great trip by the way!) would go along I95.

If they are having trouble with Sturbridge MA, they could put it on I84 in CT near the MA border. Would not be as good since people traveling in I90 between Boston and Albany would have to detour a bit to get to it. My preferences for location would be: Charlton I90 rest area (need to have one on each side though), then Sturbridge, then CT in I84. The one drawback with Sturbridge, even though it is right off I90/I84, is that exit can be a bitch during peak times. Not an issue for me since only twice in 35 years I traveled on I90 West and didn't get off at that exit, but for those that travel Boston/Albany it would be annoying to wait to get off just to wait to get back on...after waiting to charge.

Sorry for the long post - just hoping the "Calfornia guys" have a couple of Yankees on the team. :) :)

Aaron - we met at Darien in August, right after I got my MS. I learned more in our 10 minute chat than I had in 4 weeks of driving the car!! I see you make frequent trips to Boston - with just Strubridge, you could do a round trip Westchester-Boston-Westchester, couldn't you?

Yes - Sturbridge would allow me to go up to Boston and back without having to charge. The few times I've been up, I had to charge at Natick to get enough range to make it back to Milford or Darien.

By the way - I had heard back when, that the Sturbridge Supercharger was going to be a little bit east of the I85/90 interchange on I90.

Aaron

Yes - Sturbridge would allow me to go up to Boston and back without having to charge. The few times I've been up, I had to charge at Natick to get enough range to make it back to Milford or Darien.

By the way - I had heard back when, that the Sturbridge Supercharger was going to be a little bit east of the I85/90 interchange on I90.

Aaron

Any idea if construction has started?

I sent an email to [email protected] asking specifically about Sturbridge MA and Providence RI. I told them that I live in NY and Ptown MA. and that lots of Bostonians not to mention others go to the Cape.

Here is their answer "The greater Boston area is a top priority for us. Our East Greenwich, RI site is targeted for completion by end of year. We are also in the process of planning sites enable travel to Maine, the Cape, and into western MA. Please continue to check our website for updates and announcements."

I sent an email to [email protected] asking specifically about Sturbridge MA and Providence RI. I told them that I live in NY and Ptown MA. and that lots of Bostonians not to mention others go to the Cape.

Here is their answer "The greater Boston area is a top priority for us. Our East Greenwich, RI site is targeted for completion by end of year. We are also in the process of planning sites enable travel to Maine, the Cape, and into western MA. Please continue to check our website for updates and announcements."

COOL!!!!!

Thanks John!

Aaron

I'm not sure what to think of all this. If you go by the new Supercharger map, New England lost two locations, Hookset/Manchester and Sturbridge/Auburn, making lots of trips pretty difficult, particularly in the winter. OTOH there's the note from Tesla that Boston is a high priority for them. At this point I think it's just a matter of waiting to see what turns up, and in any event, there's not much we can do about it one way or another. Personally I don't have to make a decision for another year, so I'm just going to wait and decide then, based on reality on the ground, but I can imagine that it's a conundrum for people deciding now who want to do off highway trips around New England.

Anyway, as I see it, the bottom line is that there's not enough reliable information to predict what the situation will be a year or two from now.